Quebec separatism resurgent again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec separatism resurgent again

With the vote of no-confidence recently toppling the Harper-led Conservative minority government thus triggering the 3rd parliamentary election in 5 years in Canada. And with the Francophone province of Quebec playing a critical role in whether Conservatives maintain and build upon their gains or the Liberals retake the political mantle in Canada, much rests upon the outcome here. However, from what I've been reading recently Quebec separatism is making a coming back once again in this election due to French-speaking Quebecois being upset with both the Conservatives and the Liberals with the NDP being a non-factor in the province.

As the Conservatives led by Harper are deeply unpopular in the province due to a variety of factors, including the fact that many a couple of years ago took some of Harper's political moves as a personal attack on Quebec. While the Liberal's have their own problems with Quebecois voters due to the scandal plagued and deeply unpopular Jean Charest, leader of the very loosely connected Quebec Liberal Party which looks increasingly certain to lose it's governing mandate in less then a couple of years to the separatist Parti Quebecois. As well as the fact that the Federal Liberal Party is the province is viewed has become viewed as out of touch and unpopular it's self.

Thus leaving the separatist Federal party the Bloc Quebecois and the provincial Parti Quebecois come into this election with a number of marked advantages over it's political rivals and with other factor's on it's side. Including the fact that the both separatist parties have learned alot from their mistakes over the years and have worked at appealing to other elements of Francophone society in Quebec, like African, Asian, and Middle Eastern immigrant communities. In addition to planning to not take the issue of Quebec sovereignty up right away in order to build political credit.

Here is a link to an article from the Globe and Mail about this issue in the Canadian election.

Guess what’s going to rear its ugly head once again - The Globe and Mail

Overall I think this has the potential to hurt the Conservatives as they could be denied a majority or even a governing mandate over the Quebec issue. As well as the Liberals being hurt in the sense that they could be scarred in the province for the time being too.

I hope Quebec declares independence and the rest of Canada joins the US.

At that time one could actually visit 57 states in the union.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The Bloc are invaluble from the left-wing majority in Canada's point of view in that they have prevented Conservative majorities, Duceppe was more or less right in that last time. The 50 odd MPs they bring hold the balance of power, and are solidly left of centre. The Bloc are also a pretty effective representitive force for a nation that must present a united front or it will be subsumed. Quebec is a beautiful, unique place, and if they don't vote for someone who'll stand up for the French language and French Canadian culture, no one else will. My favourite thing about Quebec is how if you go there you quickly realise that it's not an act, it really is a different place, with a different vibe. Not quite European, but closer to that than British Canadian or American. Go for a coffee with a book anywhere within view of the Chateau Frontenac if you don't believe me. Magnifique.

I don't believe it's explicitly seperatism they're campaigning on, more a pragmatic message of if you loathe the Tories and live in Quebec (which is most Quebecois) BQ is the only viable option. It's also easy to understand why English-speaking Canadians don't like the Bloc, but with respect if they did they like them wouldn't be doing their jobs.

On the election itself (which I'm enjoying following), best of luck to the NDP (my choice if I was Canadian): It seems like they may get squeezed this time, hope their strong progressive vision remains a central feature in Canadian politics. The Liberals are not a real alternative to the Tories, but a wishy washy centrist schizo party. Plus I'd like to bottle Jack Layton and inject some of Ireland's politicians with whatever he's having.
      Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
      - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

No party can stomach having the Bloc as its partner in a minority government ... and truth be told, it would go against the Bloc's own agenda to be part of the Canadian government. Any party that tries it and loses the confidence of Parliment would end up giving the other party a majority government.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          No party can stomach having the Bloc as its partner in a minority government ... and truth be told, it would go against the Bloc's own agenda to be part of the Canadian government. Any party that tries it and loses the confidence of Parliment would end up giving the other party a majority government.
          Really?

I thought there was noise a couple of years about the Harper government being willing to enter into some sort of deal with the Bloc in an attempt to carry more favor on Quebec-related issues?

Overall though the way I see things devolping, the Bloc will most likely be the Conservatives biggest politcal worry after the election whether or not they win a majority this time around. Especially since in my own opinion the Liberal's and NDP are both going to be creamed this election cycle.

Comment

They are different country from Canada anyway. I went to Montreal last month and was amazed how different it is was Toronto. If you want to go, go
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X