Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Chechen bin Laden' likely killed in air strike

Terrorist leader Doku Umarov most likely destroyed in air strike

Doku Umarov, the leader of North Caucasus gunmen has most likely been killed in a special operation conducted in the republic of Ingushetia. Umarov was reportedly the primary target in the operation.

The process to identify the killed terrorists began on Tuesday morning. Russian news agencies reported that there were people from Umarov's team among the killed gunmen. "This gives us a reason to presume that Doku Umarov has been killed in the battle as well," a source from law-enforcement agencies of Russia's North Caucasus told Interfax. The identification has not been completed yet, and it is too early to officially confirm the death of the notorious warlord.
    "It has been extremely difficult to capture and destroy Umarov because of peculiarities of the local area - mountains and forest. Umarov has been constantly changing his whereabouts as well. We hope that Umarov has been killed," the source told the Rossiiskaya Gazeta newspaper.
    The head of Ingushetia, Yunus Bek Yevkurov, stated that there were indeed terrorist leaders among those gunmen killed during the special operation. However, the death of Doku Umarov has to be confirmed by investigators, he added.
    "The whole group, as we hope, has been destroyed. We hope that no one escaped," Yevkurov said.
    The special operation was conducted in the area near the borders of Ingushetia, Chechnya and North Ossetia. The area is said to be the location for the headquarters of the south-western sector of the so-called Imarat Kavkaz - a training camp for suicide bombers.
    The death of 17 terrorists has already been confirmed officially. They have not been identified yet, but members of the special operation say that emir Khamzat, the head of the terrorist training camp, could be among the killed as well.
    Nikolai Sintsov, an official spokesman for the National Anti-Terrorist Committee of the Russian Federation, stated Monday night that aviation of the Russian Air Force killed 17 terrorists in a pinpoint strike in Ingushetia. The special operation was conducted within the scope of the investigation of two explosions in the Moscow subway on March 29, 2010, which killed 40 people.
    Terrorist leader Doku Umarov most likely destroyed in air strike - English pravda.ru

I understand they've been tracking him and timed the operation specifically for the anniversary of the Metro attacks.

On TV they said KA-50 'Black Shark' and KA-52 'Alligator' choppers were used to attack the terrorist camp

Those are two awesome machines. The Black Shark is a legend, like Black Hawk for Americans

Looks like they used some very serious firepower on Umarov, they must have wanted him badly. Awesome aircraft.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

From what I understand, there are 3 Russian soldiers killed in this operation.

As for the remark Russians wanted him so badly, he is public enemy #1 in Russia, so it is understandable.

I wonder why they sent KAs when they could easily deploy planes :D

However, this is third time (to my knowledge) the Russians destroying him
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        From what I understand, there are 3 Russian soldiers killed in this operation.

As for the remark Russians wanted him so badly, he is public enemy #1 in Russia, so it is understandable.

I wonder why they sent KAs when they could easily deploy planes :D

However, this is third time (to my knowledge) the Russians destroying him
        Perhaps they wanted to hover and give him three in the chest, one in the groin and two in the head...
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          Perhaps they wanted to hover and give him three in the chest, one in the groin and two in the head...
          So many shots...They could have hurt him

Comment

What surprised the hell out of me was they took two guys alive. They almost never do that, usually execute them on the spot. They say those two are who drove the Domodedovo bomber to his target. But I, and quite a few people in Russia, believe they were moles, informants. Now, the government will hide them away in some secure place, reward for their 'assistance' :)

And yes, they went after Umarov before, unsuccessfully. Hopefully this time is different.

Comment

Working...
            X