PDA

View Full Version : New features and donations

Tarek Morgen
27 Mar 11,, 20:48
Most of the changes we are making to the WAB don't cost anything, except sleepless nights for the admins.

One addition we would like to make is a better and more functional welcome page. Currently we don't really have one at all. A visitor to the WAB is simply confronted with a list of all the forums.

We think it would be good to superimpose a window over the forum page welcoming visitors, inviting them to browse or join as they wish. There would be a couple of options for them to click on, e.g., BROWSE, BECOMING A MEMBER, FORUM RULES. Tasteful, simple and nothing fancy, but one example of what it would allow us to do would be to include an interactive map like this:

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/8523/maph.png

which would you allow to simply click on the region you are interested in, and then get directly transfered to the right forum

I've seen some sites that use vBulletin and have those and other features. Some even include news items, blog links and so on. Those may be something for down the road, but for now we want to keep it simple.

To do this we need your help.

We have to buy an add-on to our vBulletin application to create the page. The add-on is called a CMS and it costs about $100US.

We're looking for 15 members willing to pledge $10US each. That should cover the CMS and any incidentals.

The next step will be to get Rochen's agreement to install the add-on. (Rochen is a British company that graciously hosts the WAB on its servers in Texas.)

If Rochen agrees, we'll then ask you to honor your pledges, and you will send them via PayPal to an account to be decided later.

So, pledge by posting here.

And if you have any questions, ask them here or IM me or any staff member.

Thank you.

dave lukins
27 Mar 11,, 21:20
Count me in!!

USSWisconsin
27 Mar 11,, 21:24
I'll contribute

T_igger_cs_30
27 Mar 11,, 22:36
Yep.......... take my last 10 bucks I dont care :biggrin::Dancing-Banana::biggrin:

bigross86
27 Mar 11,, 22:45
Tigger, I really hope you know what that set of smiley's looks like...

Two smiley faces and a dancing banana ;)

tankie
27 Mar 11,, 22:45
Im in .

dave lukins
28 Mar 11,, 01:24

His memory is fading..leave him be:biggrin:

Julie
28 Mar 11,, 02:16
His memory is fading..leave him be:biggrin:Yeah, then he won't remember us taking his last 10 bucks. :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
28 Mar 11,, 04:42
Err, Julie, how could any man forget your hands in his pants?

JAD_333
28 Mar 11,, 05:23

er, surely you meant pants pockets?

Officer of Engineers
28 Mar 11,, 05:24
Yes, that's what I meant.

T_igger_cs_30
28 Mar 11,, 06:08
Bigross86-Quote;

Yes the real me is back,:biggrin:......for awhile :Dancing-Banana::rolleyes:

His memory is fading..leave him be:biggrin:

Who are you :confused:

Neither would Julie, we would both be :biggrin: that aint no dancing banana :biggrin:

Yes, that's what I meant.

Thought so :Dancing-Banana:

Hey I had 20 bucks when I came in this room :confused:

Julie
28 Mar 11,, 08:41
Hey I had 20 bucks when I came in this room :confused:20 will be even better darlin'.....NEXT !!! :biggrin:

Albany Rifles
28 Mar 11,, 15:59
I'm in...

Officer of Engineers
28 Mar 11,, 16:26
Buck, you might want to rephrase that, considering the conversation that just happen before you.

Tarek Morgen
28 Mar 11,, 16:55
in order to keep some oversight here the list of people so far who have pledged to contribute (please notify me of any error):

USSWisconsin
dave lukins
T_igger_cs_30
Tankie
Albany Rifles

USSWisconsin
28 Mar 11,, 17:02
I'll contribute

you missed me

Tarek Morgen
28 Mar 11,, 17:04
you missed me

fixed. Sorry I am sure I had your name on the top of the list but must have deleted it by accident when I copied the name.

Thanks to all who have already pledged to donate.

T_igger_cs_30
28 Mar 11,, 17:44
20 will be even better darlin'.....NEXT !!! :biggrin:

:eek: Julie think about this.......................:biggrin:

Could be a whole new thread here :Dancing-Banana:

ArtyEngineer
28 Mar 11,, 23:34
Pretty sure I can spare $10 for the worthy cause that is the WAB.

Arty

Julie
29 Mar 11,, 03:07
:eek: Julie think about this.......................:biggrin:

Could be a whole new thread here :Dancing-Banana:Are you saying you want a private room to pimp me out? :confused:

uh...why would I do that..? I already got you for 20 bucks by myself. :biggrin: ;)

T_igger_cs_30
29 Mar 11,, 03:22
.why would I do that..? I already got you for 20 bucks by myself. :biggrin: ;)

:redface: .....awe shucks Jules

Bigfella
30 Mar 11,, 06:31
I'll throw $10 in the pot. Hell, with the $Ozzie so high its a bargain!

chakos
30 Mar 11,, 07:46
Yeah count me in... although someones going to have to teach me how to use this paypal widget when the time comes to hand over the dosh as ive never used it before.

tankie
30 Mar 11,, 13:53
Yeah count me in... although someones going to have to teach me how to use this paypal widget when the time comes to hand over the dosh as ive never used it before.

Easy peezy , tell ya what , send it to me and i'll make sure it gets to where its gorra go :rolleyes::biggrin:

Tarek Morgen
31 Mar 11,, 18:32
Once again thanks to all who have already pledged to donate and while we are still hoping that some more might be willing to join in we also want to get this going and start with the upgrades. Hence we would like to start collecting the donations this weekend (details will be PM'ed to every contributor this weekend), so we can buy & install the upgrade soon and integrate the new features.

Spider_Pig
06 Apr 11,, 17:28
Count me in .. tenner is worth the place I wanna spend my life at :)

chakos
12 Apr 11,, 09:43
Did the pm's get sent out? I didn't get one if they did.

bigross86
12 Apr 11,, 11:51
We're still waiting for an answer from Martin's end. Once we finalize all the details, we'll let everyone know

snapper
19 Sep 11,, 03:32
I am happy to contribute to Wabbit survival.

Albany Rifles
19 Sep 11,, 23:57
It is with much shame and chagrin I never fulfilled my pledge.:redface::redface::red:

How do I fix that?

bigross86
20 Sep 11,, 00:05
As far as I know we're still waiting for approval on Martin's side of the story...

dave lukins
21 Sep 11,, 00:35
It is with much shame and chagrin I never fulfilled my pledge.:redface::redface::red:

How do I fix that?

Send me $10.000 in used notes and I will pass them on :rolleyes:

Albany Rifles
22 Sep 11,, 17:46
Send me $10.000 in used notes and I will pass them on :rolleyes:

Got in the sauce a little early, did we Dave?

bigross86
22 Sep 11,, 18:57
Hell, the weekend has just started, baby!!!

Albany Rifles
22 Sep 11,, 19:50
Hell, the weekend has just started, baby!!!

Ahhh....the joys of a student life, totally detached from reality.

Friday just means its 2 more working days to Monday (and yes, I when when the Sabbath starts in Israel....Dave ain't in Israel)

bigross86
22 Sep 11,, 23:32
I ain't a student till October 30. In the meantime I'm working full time, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. Not working Friday or Saturday, however!

dave lukins
26 Sep 11,, 23:41
Got in the sauce a little early, did we Dave?

It's never too early. I set my watch to Tierra del Fuego time when it's 11am UK. My liver lives in the dark and has no idea if it's night or day but just in case it can hear me I keep saying 'I see the bar's open' so it is never taken by suprise. :biggrin:

A great quote from the master WC Fields

Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days.

snapper
27 Sep 11,, 09:48
Another one for you Dave:

I always keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake -- which I also keep handy.

Laser
30 Sep 11,, 09:51
I've done MUCH worse things with $10 before, so count me in, TM.