12 Year Old Out to Debunk Big Bang Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Year Old Out to Debunk Big Bang Theory

At last someone who can stand toe to toe with Shek...

Autistic boy,12, with higher IQ than Albert Einstein
    Develops his own theory of relativity

A 12-year-old child prodigy has astounded university professors after grappling with some of the most advanced concepts in mathematics. Jacob Barnett has an IQ of 170 - higher than Albert Einstein - and is now so far advanced in his Indiana university studies that professors are lining him up for a PHD research role.

The boy wonder, who taught himself calculus, algebra, geometry and trigonometry in a week, is now tutoring fellow college classmates after hours. And now Jake has embarked on his most ambitious project yet - his own 'expanded version of Einstein's theory of relativity'.
    Gifted: Jacob Barnett is so far ahead of his age group he is now leaving university he is developing his own theory on how the universe came into being
    Gifted: Jacob Barnett is so far ahead of his age group he is now leaving university he is developing his own theory on how the universe came into being

His mother, not sure if her child was talking nonsense or genius, sent a video of his theory to the renowned Institute for Advanced Study near Princeton University. According to the Indiana Star, Institute astrophysics professor Scott Tremaine -himself a world renowned expert - confirmed the authenticity of Jake's theory.

In an email to the family, Tremaine wrote: 'I'm impressed by his interest in physics and the amount that he has learned so far. 'The theory that he's working on involves several of the toughest problems in astrophysics and theoretical physics.

'Anyone who solves these will be in line for a Nobel Prize.' But for his mother Kristine Barnett, 36, and the rest of the family, maths remains a tricky subject. Speaking to the paper, Mrs Barnett said: 'I flunked math. I know this did not come from me.'

And it hasn't gone un-noticed by Jake, who added: 'Whenever I try talking about math with anyone in my family they just stare blankly.' Jake was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome, a mild form of autism, from an early age.

His parents were worried when he didn't talk until the age of two, suspecting he was educationally abnormal. It was only as he began to grow up that they realised just how special his gift was. He would fill up note pads of paper with drawings of complex geometrical shapes and calculations, before picking up felt tip pens and writing equations on windows.

By the age of three he was solving 5,000-piece puzzles and he even studied a state road map, reciting every highway and license plate prefix from memory. By the age of eight he had left high school and was attending Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis advanced astrophysics classes.

His classroom presence is quite unnerving for many of the 18-plus year old students at his IPIU lectures.
    Speaking to the Indy Star, Wanda Anderson, a biochemistry major said: 'When I first walked in and saw him, I thought, 'Oh my God, I'm going to school with Doogie Howser.'

She added: 'A lot of people come to him for help when they don't understand a physics problem.
    'People come up to him all the time and say, 'Hey Jake, can you help me'. 'A lot of people think a genius is hard to talk to, but Jake explains things that would still be over their head.'

And his Professor John Ross said his performance in lectures had been 'outstanding'. 'When he asks a question, he is always two steps ahead of the lecture. Everyone in the class gets quiet. Poor kid. . . . He sits right in the front row, and they all just look at him.

'He will come to see me during office hours and ask even more detailed questions. And you can tell he's been thinking these things through. 'Kids his age would normally have problems adding fractions, and he is helping out some of his fellow students.'

According to his parents Jake has trouble sleeping at night as he constantly sees numbers in his head.
    But far from complaining, Jake has turned the sleepless nights to his advantage - debunking the big bang theory.

The next step, according to professor Ross, is for Jake to leave class altogether and take up a paid research role.

Gifted: Aspergers syndrome and child development

Autism: A condition that starts in early childhood, usually involving serious developmental disabilities with social interaction and communication. People with this disorder can have a range of abilities, from being severely disabled to gifted. It is estimated one in every 150 child has the condition.

Aspergers: A syndrome that is similar to autism, but with the distinction that those with it typically function better, have normal intelligence and near-normal language development. Savant: Rare condition in which persons with developmental disorders have astonishing islands of ability, brilliance or talent that stand in stark contrast to overall limitations.

© Daily Mail, London

Autistic boy,12, with higher IQ than Albert Einstein
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Amazing the term "A Beautiful Mind" comes up.
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

these type of individuals are often responsible for scientific revolutions, not just development. einstein, newton, gauss-- each of these individuals had some of the characteristics described here, and they all advanced scientific boundaries by 50-75 years within their working timespan of about 25-30 years.

the next 10-15 years will be his golden era-- for many scientists (particularly physicists, economists, and mathematicians), their best period is from age 25-35.

at the same time, his genius will certainly make sure his family can be taken care of. good on him, and hope he continues to stuff his brain :)
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

My nephew (now age 35) is autistic. His IQ is 160. The cause is a chemical imbalance in the brain, and even though being a genius may seem wonderous, these people teeter on a life of hell in other areas of social activity.

Though my nephew is very intelligent, he lives like a hermit. He can take anything apart, and fix it, and put it back together without instructions, no matter what the mechanical nature of the object is. His employment has to be working for himself, because he can not work around people.

He only socializes with family, and when any family member goes to his house (even his parents), the limit for visiting time is about 30 minutes, then he shows you the door. Talking to him about getting out into the world and utilizing his intellligence, is a no-go for him. He won't even discuss it.

That's just the way he is, and we've learned to live with it like he has.

Comment

Julie:

Your nephew seems a bit more affected by his autism than this kid. I recall listening to an interview on NPR with man who had Aspergers syndrome. His thing was music. But I was struck by how conscience he was of his condition and of his description of how he learned to cope with it. So there's hope for the kid.

Comment

Reminds me of Terrence Tao when that guy was young.

But anyways, the next 8 years will be a big moment of growth for him.

EDIT:Fixed Youtube embed for you
            Last edited by bigross86; 27 Mar 11,, 20:29.
            Everybody sing this song, DooDah, DooDah

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                Julie:

Your nephew seems a bit more affected by his autism than this kid. I recall listening to an interview on NPR with man who had Aspergers syndrome. His thing was music. But I was struck by how conscience he was of his condition and of his description of how he learned to cope with it. So there's hope for the kid.
                We will never know how many of these genius kids are out there that will never come forward because they do not want to draw attention to themselves because of their dysfunctional social behavior. I see it as alot of intellect gone to waste. My nephew has no specific "thing" of interest, just that his brain is an addict for information. He does alot of reading, and only has to read it once, and can quote any passage of it, and if it is an instruction manual, he never has to refer back to it for any reference whatsoever. After he reads it, it is thrown in the trash, nothing is kept. Everything he learns is self-taught by reading. He is however licensed in several things. He can totally wire a new home in a day, and re-build a transmission in a day. On days he has absolutely nothing to do, and being driven crazy out of boredom, he takes apart his Harley and puts it back together again. Things like that.

If I could just get him interested in airplaines....maybe military ones......oh what he could possibly create in a day.

Comment

I have one G'daughter who went to uni at 12 to do higher Maths. My 7 yr old G'son is a whiz at algebra and all things maths and spelling (he has recently won a County award for spelling) He has been a bit of a brainy for a few years. Thankfully teachers has seen his potential and have moved him up a few years (10 yr olds) As for his football skills...that's another story

Comment

Dave:

Chips off the old block perhaps? Can only wonder what your talent was back when you were a wee one. :)

Comment

I wish Jake all the good things in life and I hope he bucks the odds. However I have worked with Aspergers kids before. Jake is not going to take it well if/when they tell him he is wrong.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                        Dave:

Chips off the old block perhaps? Can only wonder what your talent was back when you were a wee one. :)
                        Jad pleeeeeeease dont get him on it ............. lets just say he was made to wear boxing gloves all the time......... and no he didnt go to the gym ;)
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Truly incredible.
                          And yet people are more interested in the lives of lindsey lohan and kim kardashian
                          sigpic

Comment

That's because most people can understand when Lindsay Lohan decides to take a flying leap off the wagon, but try explaining modular and elliptic curves to a random passerby on the street, and you'll get either glazed eyes, or decked across the face.
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                              That's because most people can understand when Lindsay Lohan decides to take a flying leap off the wagon, but try explaining modular and elliptic curves to a random passerby on the street, and you'll get either glazed eyes, or decked across the face.
                              Ha Ha "excuse me madam can I measure your elliptical curves please"...Bang..Ouch!!

Comment

Working...
                              X