Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much combat power can the Australian Army have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much combat power can the Australian Army have?

I read that the ARA only has 6 infantry battalions. I remember Mark Latham was going to raise another, and I've heard suggestions of raising two more, but I was wondering how many infantry battalions we could realistically sustain. I know that the Army has increased in size a bit in the past few years, and the Government's announcement of pay increases to all ADF personnel will probably help a lot, but I'm still curious what we really could do with the Army.

if ur PM decides to go war agaisnt iran with US & UK then u may need more .
    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Nah that's not gonna happen. And the real assistance we gave to the coalition in the 2nd Gulf War was one SAS squadron, 14 F-18s and two frigates which did some shelling on the first day. Something tells me any other Middle Eastern war wouldn't be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}
        but I'm still curious what we really could do with the Army.
        I dont see any threat for Australia in the region, so i guess Army's role is very limited compared to other defence wings. Isnt Indonesia hostile towards Australia ?
        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

well even though the Indonesian threat isn't that severe, it can't hurt to be prepared. Problem usually turn into cooperation as long as both parties are equally strong.

Well one thing most countries are now moving towards regarding their defence is that they're getting as self-reliant as possible on their military needs.

Comment

No more ,Hammer , they signed some agreements today.
            One Indonesian high-up guy was paying tribute to a few Aussie servicemen who died in Aceh.Relations have taken a turn for the good.Or so the BBC claims.

The Aussie parliament flagpole rocks !
            Nice design.

Comment

I see, then Australia would do well if they have a well equipped,sizeable Airforce and Navy. and an Army which is small, well equipped and enough to defend the Homeland.
              IIRC Newzealand was reducing the size of their defence forces considerably. Does it have some sort of defence treaty with Australia?
              Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

The Australian Defence White Paper states that Australia should be able to deploy a brigade for an indefenite period. Based on a 2 battalion type style brigade and even then, may be battalion groups (2 rifle coys instead of 3), 6 bns should be adequate (2 in traiing, 2 deploying, 2 recovering from deployment).

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
                  I see, then Australia would do well if they have a well equipped,sizeable Airforce and Navy. and an Army which is small, well equipped and enough to defend the Homeland.
                  IIRC Newzealand was reducing the size of their defence forces considerably. Does it have some sort of defence treaty with Australia?
                  this from a joint release recently
                  · Acknowledging that we are sovereign countries working together for our mutual security
                  · Emphasising the need for our Defence Forces to be interoperable so that they can work together effectively, particularly in pursuit of shared strategic interests within our immediate region
                  · Acknowledging our responsibility to support the principles of the United Nations Charter
                  · Setting out the principles which guide the defence relationship; and
                  · Defining the practical outcomes we seek.

The Ministers noted good progress in the eight areas that they identified last year for closer collaboration. These are:

· Increasing training opportunities and exchanges
                  · The enhancement of command and control of joint and combined operations between the Australian and New Zealand Defence Forces
                  · How Australia’s new patrol vessels and New Zealand’s off shore and in shore vessels might complement each other in achieving the most effective outcomes
                  · Enhancing land intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance within the Pacific region
                  · Complementarity of Army equipment
                  Finished or currently approved projects

Army 2005 – Firepower, Mobility and Protection: 2 battalions
                  · Provide protected mobility to the infantry battalions through the motorisation programme (Light Armoured Vehicle – LAV and Light Operational Vehicle – LOV).
                  · Enhance the direct fire capability of the combat force, through the introduction of a Medium Range Anti-Armour Weapon (MRAAW), Direct Fire Support Weapon (DFSW) Point and Area.
                  · Improve the communications ability of the Army through the Tactical Mobile Communications System (TMCS) and the Joint Command and Control System (JCCS).
                  Army 2010 – Integrated Command and Control
                  · Creation Information Technology (IT) based command and control system to integrate the information flow from 'sensor' to 'shooter'.
                  · Establishment a basic precision strike capability by replacing the current mortars and artillery pieces with precision capable equipment.
                  · Enhance the Reconnaissance, Intelligence, Surveillance and Target Acquisition (RISTA) system with target acquisition (TA) focused capabilities.
                  · Better equip the engineer and combat units with hasty obstacle crossing capabilities.
                  · Improve the situational awareness capabilities of the combat force through the Reconnaissance Vehicle Project.
                  · Introduce Combat Service Support (CSS) equipment to support dispersed, mounted operations.
                  Navy (as well as 2 existing ANZAC class frigates)
                  A new MRV for LAV deployment, ice strengthened for southern ocean patrol & helicopter deployment.
                  2-3 New OPV’s, again ice strengthened for southern ocean patrol.
                  5-7 inshore patrol vessels consisting of upgrades to existing fleet & new purchases

Air Force
                  C130 life extension
                  P3 Orion systems upgrade
                  Replacing our Iroquois with NH90’s

The Air Force is where we fall down significantly with the scrapping of our air strike capability. IMO we AT LEAST need anti-shipping strike capability in support of our southern ocean naval patrols.
                  With a recent funding increase defence spending is is now at roughly 2% of GNP
                  Last edited by Parihaka; 24 May 05,, 23:53.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I swear to god i think the Delaware National Guard/ANG has more combat power than Australia.

That's really, really, really sad.

Comment

A link to a piece written in the newspaper on the weekend.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E28737,00.html

The ability of the Delaware National Guard ....meh.

Comment

We could always do human wave attacks on the Delaware NG.
                        And that report on the low satisfaction of many members of the ADF is worrying. We really need to increase our defense budget so we can in turn increase pay for the forces, and make a more concerted effort to expand our peoplepower, since the Army is still pretty small, and probably isn't capable of making a major committment to any operation for an extended period of time.

Comment

Australian Def budget is already 14 billion US $. But to compete with china{60} aussies have lot of catching up.
                          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Isnt Indonesia hostile towards Australia ?
                            Indonesia has a mostly territorial army spread across the nation with a strategic reserve (Kostrad, Kopassus,, Paskhas and Marines) to reinforce those garrisons. Put in a small navy and air force (compared to the size of the nation) and they are only a threat if you try and invade them or are a breakaway rebel faction. And their own defense planning and doctrine doesn't put Australia as a real threat.
                            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                              Australian Def budget is already 14 billion US $. But to compete with china{60} aussies have lot of catching up.
                              When examined per brigade or even per battalion, in fact I will even go down to per company, the Chinese have alot of catching up to do

Comment

Working...
                              X