52 feared dead in Pakistan coal mine accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 feared dead in Pakistan coal mine accident

Rescue workers used shovels and bare hands Monday to dig out victims buried by explosions in a coal mine in southwestern Pakistan, and officials said they feared all 52 miners underground at the time of the accident were dead. The workers have recovered 24 bodies after digging through one of the mine's three wings, said Iftikhar Ahmed, a top mine inspector.

The search was slowed by the presence of poisonous methane gas, which caused Sunday's explosions, and also by the fragile state of the mine, which prevented the use of heavy machinery, he said. ``We have yet to dig out and search the remaining two wings, but there is zero percent chance we can get anybody alive,'' said Ahmed.

Ten of the dead miners they have found were charred from the explosion, while the others appeared to have been killed by falling debris or suffocation, said Ahmed. The bodies found so far were at a depth of about 2,000 feet (600 meters), but the mine continues down to 4,000 feet (1,200 meters). The mine is located in Baluchistan province, some 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of the provincial capital, Quetta.

The mine was declared dangerous two weeks ago, but the warning was ignored, said Ahmed. The mine is owned by the state-run Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation but leased to a contractor, he said. Ghulam Rasool, a 25-year-old miner who spent all morning searching for victims, said the work was exhausting and hampered by gas fumes.

``The mine's wooden support has collapsed at many points, leaving huge chunks of debris blocking the way,'' said Rasool. More than 200 people stood outside the mine entrance waiting to help or hear news from the search. Most were mine workers who have friends or relatives trapped in the mine. Seven of the dead found so far were from a single family from the Swat Valley. Ghulam Mohammad, a 30-year-old miner who was waiting his turn to join the search, said he feared for the lives of his roommates who were in the mine at the time of the accident.

``None of my five roommates has been found dead or alive yet,'' said Mohammad. Outside the mine, more than 20 wooden caskets were set out on the ground, waiting for victims who had not yet surfaced.

? - response

Not sure what happened to the poster here in such short order , but I have to express my thoughts here for the miners families my father, his father and his Father before him besides war service all life long coal miners........ reason I joined the Army fortunately it worked out for me but after my apprenticeship (4 years) left and joined up no way was I spending my life underground........... Firedamp (methane) and Black damp (mixture of Carbon dioxide and nitrogen) two of the things miners fear most.

My thoughts are with all the families, and RIP the victims.............
    Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 22 Mar 11,, 12:22.
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Working...
    X