PDA

View Full Version : Calling Professor Shek! Reccomended Economic Documentaries?

Wayfarer
20 Mar 11,, 06:22
Dear WABBERs. (special request to the Professor Shek)

Over time I have realized that politics is simply a continuation of economics, and all ideologies run essentially on a successful economy. However, in todays world, the economic activity is mystified to a great deal, and amidst all the jargon, it is almost impossible for a person lacking tertiary qualifications in economics to distinguish between a and b.

Things I am familiar with

Supply and Demand
Fiat currency
The debt-laden relationship between the U.S and China, China buying U.S debt to fuel it's own economic growth.
Fractional Reserve Banking

Things I want to know more about
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Supply and Demand ::biggrin:
How the global economy will react to chronic resource shortage - fresh water, increasing demand for agriculture and Oil Plateauing/peaking.

With that in mind, can you recommend me some pure, relatively unbiased documentaries (unlike Michael Moore Commie Crap, which I avoid completely) based in scientific methodology. I have browsed the web, but the rubbish that comes up is fantastical and bordering on Marxist-Utopian.

Also, perhaps in the wrong section, but I still cannot give up on what may seem like antiquated opinions on Autarky and National Self-Sufficiency. I don't want to give up the idea, because I honestly love the concept of a self-sufficient, self-contained system, that is not vulnerable to external factors of the global economy - that being the irreconcilable system requiring infinite growth to boost standards of living, based on a finite number of physical resources.

DOR
21 Mar 11,, 02:18
Go to Youtube and type in "macroeconomics" -- and the other terms. You'll find lots of lectures from some very good professors.

The sad alternative is to crack a textbook.

Tarek Morgen
21 Mar 11,, 02:22
The sad alternative is to crack a textbook.

Why sad? I am cannot be the only person who reads textbooks about all possible subjects just for fun.

DOR
21 Mar 11,, 04:28
Why sad? I am cannot be the only person who reads textbooks about all possible subjects just for fun.

Wayfarer asked for documentaries, indicating a preference for passive learning over active.

astralis
21 Mar 11,, 05:38
wayfarer,

read the freakanomics books if you want some relatively light economic reading. bernanke's intro to economics textbook is actually fairly well written if you want something a bit more complex.

try the university webcasts, as well.

Best free courses & lectures | The Do It Yourself Scholar (http://diyscholar.wordpress.com/best-webcasts-podcasts/)

as for why autarky and national self-sufficiency is a losing bet...just wondering, do you hunt your own food, weave your own clothes, mine the rare earth minerals necessary for the computer that you are using, and code your own software?

Albany Rifles
21 Mar 11,, 19:58

You, sir, need to get out more!

Wayfarer
22 Mar 11,, 08:43
Wayfarer asked for documentaries, indicating a preference for passive learning over active.

Indicative but not true. I just lack enough definitive knowledge on the subject as the books on it are so numerous I do not know which or where is a good starting point, especially as many involve highly technical terms that merely obfuscate and confuse me. If I can accumulate enough knowledge passively, I will be able to then actively learn via textbooks.

as for why autarky and national self-sufficiency is a losing bet...just wondering, do you hunt your own food, weave your own clothes, mine the rare earth minerals necessary for the computer that you are using, and code your own software?

When I see Australian companies export primary resources to other countries, only for them to add value to the product and sell it back to us at x3 the price, I feel naturally pissed off, to see resources wasted as such and short term profit triumphing over long-term profit. Though previous was a childish argument, self-sufficiency allows a nation to retain true strategic independence from other nations and market forces that have the potential to destabilize local government.

I will leave my additional pro-autarky arguments in another thread, as I need to finally ask the WAB community to destabilize and destroy them, but my instinctive reaction to internationalism (hand in hand with globalization) is one of repulsion as it comes into conflict with my nationalism, and belief in self-determination for a nation. Globalization makes it impossible for a country to pursue it's own agenda, and makes it conform to political and social systems that do not necessarily fit in with it's history, culture, climate, background or religion, for example, the imposition of democracy in Afghanistan can be seen as the attempt to solve a problem with a one size fits all bandage, taking a system which is purely Western in origin, and borne out of a culture, history and location that encourages it, and attempting to forcefully emplace it in a society where it is as alien a concept as no free speech is to Americans.

Thank you for the responses

astralis
22 Mar 11,, 15:26
you have a lot of debateable points there-- you're right, they're good for other threads. i'd actually encourage you to open them as you see fit.