PDA

View Full Version : Movie Madness!!

bigross86
18 Mar 11,, 03:01
We have opinions on US Presidents. We have opinions on Obamacare. We have opinions on just about everything there is, and not only that, we're usually right. It's now time for the good folks to weigh in on what they think is the best movie ever. Once we get enough suggestions I will set them up into a bracket and we will eliminate the options one by one until we come to a consensus which movie is WAB's ultimate movie of all time. I'll try and split movies according to common topics and themes, sometimes according to actors, directors or some other criteria I can find.

We already have one of Tarek's suggestions, Akira Kurosawa's Shichinin no Samurai/Seven Samurai (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/). I'm going to nominate Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/) and The Princess Bride (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/) as two of my all time ultimate favorite movies. Joining them will be 12 Angry Men (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/) and the one and only Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1263670/)

Well, what's your favorite movie?

Tarek Morgen
18 Mar 11,, 03:09
The Hunt for Red October gets bonus points for the Soundtrack.
The Princess Bride for being one of the few fantasy movies that is actual very enjoyable.
12 Angry Men ranks among the finest movies ever created.

And the Seven Samurai of course is on the top of the list. Any list....

but Crazy heart? No. Seriously. Nope.

Officer of Engineers
18 Mar 11,, 03:17
Debbie Does Dallas ... oh wait, that's not our Debbie, is it?

Julie
18 Mar 11,, 03:30
Shawshank Redemption. I know I've watched this movie 20 times if not more. :)

ArtyEngineer
18 Mar 11,, 03:35
Hunt for Red October definitely one of my favorite movies. A Bridge to Far and Battle of Britian are also very much in my Top 10. Now I may get crucified for this one but I also absolutely love Red Dawn.....running for cover right now ;)

T_igger_cs_30
18 Mar 11,, 03:59
#1 - GLADIATOR
Maximus so many memorable lines.......... and the opening battle scene against the Germanics.... best of all time.

IvTT29cavKo

Gladiator opening battle scene
Deserves to be posted.

RD_tv2NGdgk

#2 - The Hill
Sean Connery as the "bust" Sgt Major (Note the cap badge :biggrin:)

mlaFY2CAHYY

#3 - The Magnificent 7
A classic duster, (yes we know where it was taken from) Awesome soundtrack how could you not root for the little guy :biggrin:

HWIlGnJDRzw

USSWisconsin
18 Mar 11,, 03:59

That is one of my all time favorites, I watch it often. Also love The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, The Guns of Naverone

For Sci fi: Babylon V and Dr Who

Just watched Tin Men last night - a good movie with a great sound track

Blue
18 Mar 11,, 04:37
Now I may get crucified for this one but I also absolutely love Red Dawn.....running for cover right now ;) WOLVERINES!!!!! Loved it myself buddy...I'll second your choice!!

Blue
18 Mar 11,, 04:51
Movies that I can't turn off and love equally

1. Forrest Gump
2. Jarhead
3. The Green Berets
4. Quigley Down Under
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Metropolis(which I also consider to be one of the most important movies ever made)
7.I have to B/U Julie on The Outlaw Josey Whales as a total awesome classic and have to add....
8. Unforgiven....AND
9. Gran Torino...
Yeah, I know Eastwood seems to dominate but what can I say.
10. All the Dirty Harry movies!!

ArtyEngineer
18 Mar 11,, 05:40
WOLVERINES!!!!! Loved it myself buddy...I'll second your choice!!

Thanks, I knew there would be other fans out there ha ha.

IF I was to do a Top 10 Favorite I think it would look like this. Note this is my Fav movies, not what I consider teh Best of all time.

1 Kellys Heros
2 The 5th Element
3 For Few Dollars More (I also like The Good teh Bad and the Ugly but its not in my Top 10)
4 The Hunt for Red October
5 A Bridge Too Far
6 The Battle Of Britain
7 Das Boot (The Really Really Long Verssion)
8 Red Dawn
9 The Boondock Saints
10 Dog Soldiers

Ok that was too damn hard and not even really sure if these are my top 10 favs.

But it will do.

Regards

Arty

Blue
18 Mar 11,, 05:46
You're right Arty!! Its just too hard because you listed Boondock Saints which i enjoyed PT1 and II immensly. I must see Das Boot someday! It has been mentioned on the forum many times. i feel so uncultured!!:redface:

ArtyEngineer
18 Mar 11,, 05:57
You're right Arty!! Its just too hard because you listed Boondock Saints which i enjoyed PT1 and II immensly. I must see Das Boot someday! It has been mentioned on the forum many times. i feel so uncultured!!:redface:

I havent seen the second Boondock Saints movie. Is it as good as the first?

Arty

Blue
18 Mar 11,, 06:02
I havent seen the second Boondock Saints movie. Is it as good as the first?

Arty

Story lacks some from the first, but new characters make up for it. Just watch it, you won't regret I think. If you're a fan, you're already there.

USSWisconsin
18 Mar 11,, 06:05
This thread will cause me to get more DVD's - oh well; 7th, Arty, those are some of my favorites too, except the two I haven't seen yet - and now I Need to see them - I know I'm going to like them. The long Das Boot is the best of all the versions of that one - great movie. It is hard to pick one movie and say its my favorite, it depends on the mood and situation. Another one: The Mysterious Island, the 1960's version - it also has a great sound track.

Great Thread; Thank You

ArtyEngineer
18 Mar 11,, 06:13
I just realised I havent listed any of my favorite Zombie movies!!!! All teh "XXXXX of the Dead" movies, 28 Days Later (28 Weeks not so much), The first Resident Evil movie (Not the sequels, they are getting out of hand!!!).

I think I will be back and forth to this thread as I remember other movies I love.

Arty

S2
18 Mar 11,, 06:36
I can rotate Taras Bulba, Zulu!, The Longest Day, L.A. Confidential, The Usual Suspects, The Big Lebowski (of course), Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (Pts. I & II), Saving Private Ryan, Bridge Over The River Kwai and The Great Escape without ever tiring. Many others but these are absolute fixtures.

Blue
18 Mar 11,, 06:53
All greats Steve! Its really a hard to pinpoint one. I think we did once, actually, I think I posed something like "if you were marooned on a island with just one movie, what would it be?" The question of just one was impossible for WABbers(prbly cuz we r so smart...hehhe) but anyone who appreciates film, can't possibly choose just one, which I realized was the fallacy of my thread.

bigross86
18 Mar 11,, 11:46
Okay, we have 48 movies mentioned so far. 14 more and I will build the bracket, and then it's voting time!

Tzimisces
18 Mar 11,, 19:46
The Last of the Mohicans (Daniel Day Lewis version).
Master and Commander.
Catch 22.

Mihais
18 Mar 11,, 20:02
Cleopatra(the old one),The Vikings ,El Cid,Tora Tora Tora,Michael the Brave(romanian),The Deluge(polish) ,War and Peace(Bondarchuk's version),Waterloo,Kagemusha,Robin Hood(Eroll Flynn version),13th Warrior,Blackhawk down,apocalypse now,Deer hunter,Das Boot,all 4 Rambo's.Most of Mel Gibson's.All those already mentioned.

T_igger_cs_30
18 Mar 11,, 21:03
I bet you are al like me and need to Break it down to your #1 film of that particular year :biggrin:.............. and even then at times you have to have a tie-breaker :biggrin::Dancing-Banana::biggrin:

So many good films and catagories.

18 Mar 11,, 22:28
I, Claudius (TV mini-series 1976) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074006/)

Mihais
18 Mar 11,, 22:33
Ahh,that's good.Speaking of good ole Romans-Ben Hur&Masada.Those are also with Jews,to keep Ben happy.

T_igger_cs_30
19 Mar 11,, 00:57
I, Claudius (TV mini-series 1976) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074006/)

concur..... brilliant

bigross86
19 Mar 11,, 01:53
I've taken the first 64 movies mentioned here, and I'll be setting up a bracket over the weekend. Hopefully first polls will go out Sunday. Anyone care to place a wager on what they think the winner is going to be?

T_igger_cs_30
19 Mar 11,, 01:57
Anyone care to place a wager on what they think the winner is going to be?

2 to 1 - Gladiator
3 to 1 - Shawshank redemption
5 to 1 - Das Boot

8 to 1 the field...................... :biggrin:

bigross86
19 Mar 11,, 16:31
Here (http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=393091) you have it, ladies and gentlefolk! The brackets for WAB Movie Madness. I tried my very best to pair movies according to some sort of theme, but unfortunately it didn't always work out, especially near the end. First round coming up shortly!

JAD_333
19 Mar 11,, 17:14

Great movie. Just watched it again a few weeks ago.

Have you seen Appaloosa, Ed Harris's flick? I could watch it non-stop. Rich in detail.

Tom Horn with Steve McQueen is another. Both painstakingly researched to be historically accurate.

T_igger_cs_30
19 Mar 11,, 18:03
:eek: brilliant job Benny........ sure some tough decisions to be made there and seeing it like that "the betting odds" need severly revising ....great job :biggrin:

Blue
19 Mar 11,, 22:00
Sounds like fun Ben! This should be interesting. I think you paired them up well.

S2
19 Mar 11,, 22:26
Too bad Spartacus didn't make it. Would have matched good against The Vikings. Ben Hur should have matched against El Cid in my view. Major Dundee and The Wild Bunch might have been possible considerations. Peckinpah was the master of the slow-motion death scene.

USSWisconsin
20 Mar 11,, 04:34
:eek: brilliant job Benny........ sure some tough decisions to be made there and seeing it like that "the betting odds" need severly revising ....great job :biggrin:

I agree, some tough choices - had to ponder a bit, great job Ben

T_igger_cs_30
20 Mar 11,, 04:37
Absolutely agree Sir, Sparticus v the Vikings........what a choice..............

bigross86
20 Mar 11,, 04:49
Now that you folks have seen the brackets and seen the opening voting trends, anyone care to revise their bets or place new bets? Winner will get massive bragging rights. Betting closes when the last round 1 poll closes

S2
20 Mar 11,, 05:09
Not sure I see the vote trends nor how I vote.

T_igger_cs_30
20 Mar 11,, 05:12
2 to 1 - Gladiator
3 to 1 - Shawshank redemption
5 to 1 - Das Boot

8 to 1 the field...................... :biggrin:

Ok revised betting........................

2 to 1 - Gladiator
3 to 1 - Das Boot
Shawshank Redemption
7 to 2 - The Green Berets
The Vikings
4 to 1 - Kill Bill 1 & 2
5 to 1 - Boondock Saints
8 to 1 - the field ;

less

25 to 1 - Forest Gump
50 to 1 - all of Mel Gibsons :biggrin:

bigross86
20 Mar 11,, 05:17
Not sure I see the vote trends nor how I vote.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/movie-tv-room/59178-wab-movie-madness-round-1-1-a.html

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/movie-tv-room/59194-wab-movie-madness-round-1-2-a.html

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/movie-tv-room/59193-wab-movie-madness-round-1-3-a.html

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/movie-tv-room/59192-wab-movie-madness-round-1-4-a.html

All the info you need and the opening round of voting. Poll closes in a little over 2 days

ArtyEngineer
20 Mar 11,, 05:59
As others have said excellent job of pairing them up to get this thing started. I think Das Boot will be a good performer as will Zulu.

Teh problem we are going to have is that there is a huge difference between what our "Favorite" movies are versus what we would "Objectively" consider to be "Great Movies" perfect example is Red Dawn paired with Deer Hunter. Now by no stretch of the imagination can you consider Red Dawn a better movie tha Deer Hunter, however I still voted for Red Dawn!!!!!!.

Regards

Arty

bigross86
20 Mar 11,, 09:45
Red Dawn was paired with Deer Hunter for the one simple reason that it was towards the end and I didn't really have anything else to match it up with.

Double Edge
20 Mar 11,, 13:23
Oh damnit i missed this thread before i voted.

Anyhoo.

Very difficult question to narrow down since there's so many good choices. So the question boils down to how many times can you watch something before you get fed up.

First blood, never get tired of watching that. Not seen many that came close to it. However in recent times a couple did seem to fit into the same mould, Shooter & Apocalypto. One man taking on many sort of thing. The hunted turning into the hunter.

bigross86
22 Mar 11,, 19:13
Round 1.1 has closed, rounds 1.2-1.4 will close in the next couple hours. If you haven't voted yet, get in before the deadline!

Debbie
03 Apr 11,, 13:42
Very funny Sir................

bigross86
03 Apr 11,, 13:46
Which part is the funny part?

bigross86
23 Apr 11,, 23:53
OK, I know it's been a while, but things have slowed down some, so I've now got time to run round 3. Threads and polls will be up in a couple minutes