Lavochkin L-160 landing gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lavochkin L-160 landing gears

I am working on the digital replica of La-160 Strelka jet and it is almost completed but I am unable to find accurate references for the main landing gear. How it works to be more exact. If anyone has any clue please help!:)

Wow that might be tough to find. I wish I could help. Good luck with it, and I know I'd love to see your finished model myself. What software are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      Wow that might be tough to find. I wish I could help. Good luck with it, and I know I'd love to see your finished model myself. What software are you using?
      I know, I've been searching for it for two days in a row and couldn't find anything. Even my friend from Moscow had hard time finding the reference. It is strange and somewhat sad for such an important aircraft to have so little references. Here is the base, for the sake of saving the polycount I will use normal mapping heavily. Heh, my two favorite periods of aviation are between world war one and two and the period from 1945-1960.

Mostly I use 3DS Max but I am more and more switching to Blender. The next one will be 100% made in Blender. I don't know, if it is allowed to post here or does it have to go under the pictures and videos section of the forum, I would like to post some of my works.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Versus; 04 Mar 11,, 01:01.

Comment

Excellent! I have huge respect for 3D modellers. I played with Rhino 3D for a while, and it is a lot tougher than it looks, at least to me. But I can see the power in the process.

Would any other of the La series have a similar gear, at least one close enough to get started? Companies tend to use what works, what they have tooling for, and in that era, airplanes were being developed so rapidly that they'd simply use the same basic structures across several designs. In a Boeing gear set, for example, you can trace the mechanism back decades.

Did the gear tuck into the fuselage like a MiG-23 or A-7?

Comment

I would Like to get into 3D modeling - any advice? Wonderful work, I love 3D models
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            I would Like to get into 3D modeling - any advice? Wonderful work, I love 3D models
            Most of the experts seem to use SolidWorks. All I've used is Rhino3d. These various packages have different emphasis... some lean towards engineering, others towards CGI/Hollywood art stuff. All of them are pretty expensive, but the power really is amazing.

Take a look at the Rhino3d gallery and prepare to be blown away by the photorealistic renderings...

This is NOT a photograph!

Sorry Versus, I don't mean to jack your thread. I just get really excited about this stuff, and I wish I was better at it.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
              I would recomend the Blender, since it is free and there are a lots of tutorial videos on youtube that will help you learn it. Every 3D package is basically the same thing, since it is the math and the math uses unversal language. But what ever package you find to suit you best, be preapared for long nights in front of the computer :)

Comment

Did you do it? It looks really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                  Excellent! I have huge respect for 3D modellers. I played with Rhino 3D for a while, and it is a lot tougher than it looks, at least to me. But I can see the power in the process.

Would any other of the La series have a similar gear, at least one close enough to get started? Companies tend to use what works, what they have tooling for, and in that era, airplanes were being developed so rapidly that they'd simply use the same basic structures across several designs. In a Boeing gear set, for example, you can trace the mechanism back decades.

Did the gear tuck into the fuselage like a MiG-23 or A-7?
                  I really can't figure them out. I think that they go into the wings for the most part. Maybe like 2/3 into the wings and 1/3 into the fuselage. But what is most complicated is the way how landing wheels are conected to the strut. The references that I have work for all parts of the plane but with wheels they don't match. It seems that whom ever made the reference had the same problem since the mechanism from the front view doesn't match the side view. I never saw this type of configuration on any airplane ( and I saw almost all of them). The MiG 23 landing gear is the nightmare for modleing and animation...that is the reason why MiG-23 models are sooo expensive on the market.

Comment

Versus,

this plane is available at IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 ww2 sim. since it is a Russian game i think it might help you in terms of accuracy.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
                      Versus,

this plane is available at IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 ww2 sim. since it is a Russian game i think it might help you in terms of accuracy.
                      No that is not the one, but thanks I will look for more, but if I fail I will have to make the model with the gears up. It needs to be finished one way or another. I have spitfire,Me-109, and the mustang in all versions lined up. Tons of work ahead. I will post final renderings once they are done.

Comment

Working...
                      X