Genocide, preventable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genocide, preventable?

hey everybody, here's a thought i need some views on for an essay. How does Genocide start and what happens? If preventable, what can be done before it starts? opinions are appreciated. thanks a bunch! :)

xoxo
    Me ;)

Everything people do is preventable, but it takes a proactive stance, not the current reactive one.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Genocide can never fully be wiped out as such, because humans are totally depraved, and will always find ways to hurt each other. What we can do is amieliorate the effects, like they tried to do in Bosnia.

Take the darfur region in Sudan now. Trying to reconcile the people is pretty much an exercise in futility. However, if there were lots of soldiers with guns killing anyone who deserved it, the problem would be supressed. The desire would still be there, but they would not be able to do anything about it. Free and democratic governments go a long way to solving this sort of thing as well.

However, humans will always want to kill one another. It's in our nature.
      SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
        Genocide can never fully be wiped out as such, because humans are totally depraved, and will always find ways to hurt each other.
        Genocide is rarely a short process, there is time to see it starting, and stop it.
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

that is correct. But sometimes people will not have the will or inclination to try. Rwanda, Sudan, are cases in point. They COULD have been/be stopped, but will they be?

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

But sometimes people will not have the will or inclination to try.
            Until the people of the world figure out that it is their business to interfere in the domestic affairs of places/peoples intent on oppression/genocide, then genocide is something we'll be dealing with. It takes a proactive position to stop something like genocide before it is complete.

Comment

sometimes people will not even have to ability to stop it. If china was to start a genocide against some ethnic group in its own borders, could anyone do anything about it but complain? What if india, or north korea, or the USA (as unlikely as it is) were to commit genocide?

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

sometimes people will not even have to ability to stop it. If china was to start a genocide against some ethnic group in its own borders, could anyone do anything about it but complain? What if india, or north korea, or the USA (as unlikely as it is) were to commit genocide?
                No one country/group can stop everything, it takes all of us.

Comment

Could all of us stop a genocide in china? We couldn't stop the genocide in europe. Sure, most of the world ganged up on nazi germany and won, but not soon enough for the jews of europe.

If china were to start shooting a random ethnic minority tomorrow, there is not a thing we could do. Even if the US was not involved in Afghanistan and Iraq, we could do nothing. Sure, we could declare war, and get involved in a nuke fest, or not. Whatever happeded though, it would be too late for the targets of genocide.

Lets say (completely hypothetically) the USA decides to wipe out all hindus living in it's midst. What could anyone do about it? Even the whole world?

My point is that we can try to stop bad behaviour, and we should. But uless we are able to punish bad behaviour, and unless we have the will and ability to punish it, it will go on. This is true for anything, not just genocide.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Could all of us stop a genocide in china?
                    I have no doubt.
                    We couldn't stop the genocide in europe.
                    We were reactive, not proactive.
                    If china were to start shooting a random ethnic minority tomorrow, there is not a thing we could do.
                    How comitted to stopping it are you? Long term, a full trade embargo would end it. Add every aircraft, ship, and soldier the whole world could commit, and it would end much faster.
                    Whatever happeded though, it would be too late for the targets of genocide.
                    The Nazis had years, and they couldn't complete their task. The problem with those who will commit genocide is that when they are done with the current group, another will be next. Fight them now, or fight them when they come for you.
                    "If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Winston Churchill
                    Lets say (completely hypothetically) the USA decides to wipe out all hindus living in it's midst. What could anyone do about it? Even the whole world?
                    Without imports the USA is done. Add to that funding/equiping of the rebels I assure you would appear, and it would end sooner.
                    But uless we are able to punish bad behaviour, and unless we have the will and ability to punish it, it will go on. This is true for anything, not just genocide.
                    Exactly. ;)

Comment

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't *try* to stop genocide, I just don't think we can. We can't eradicate it like smallpox or something.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

There is a great Foreign Affairs article on genocide from probably 4 months back. I suggest you use it.

Comment

I just don't think we can.
                          I know of no 1 country in this world that could stand up to the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
                            There is a great Foreign Affairs article on genocide from probably 4 months back. I suggest you use it.
                            Post the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                              Post the link.
                              We, UNPROFOR, did exactly just that, prevented Genocide, just that we did not prevent ethnic cleansing.

Comment

Working...
                              X