Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYU fellow quits after tweets about Logan assault

NYU fellow quits after tweets about Logan assault
    By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Karen Matthews, Associated Press 1 hr 9 mins ago

NEW YORK – A journalist resigned from his New York University fellowship Wednesday, one day after he posted derogatory comments on Twitter about CBS reporter Lara Logan as the news of her assault in Egypt was breaking.

"Jesus Christ, at a moment when she is going to become a martyr and glorified we should at least remember her role as a major war monger," Nir Rosen wrote on Twitter. He later added, "Look, she was probably groped like thousands of other women."

CBS has said the reporter, its chief foreign affairs correspondent, was in Cairo on Friday when she, her team and their security "were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration."

Logan suffered "a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating," CBS said. She was saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers, the network said. The Associated Press does not name victims of sexual assault unless the victim agrees to it.

Rosen resigned from NYU's Center on Law and Security. He also took to Twitter to apologize.

"As someone who's devoted his career to defending victims and supporting justice, I'm very ashamed for my insensitive and offensive comments," he wrote.

Reached by e-mail on Wednesday, Rosen did not immediately respond to questions about his Twitter posts.

As a fellow at the Center on Law and Security, he had a salary and a work space.

The center's executive director, Karen J. Greenberg, said Wednesday that she had accepted Rosen's resignation.

"Nir Rosen is always provocative, but he crossed the line with his comments about Lara Logan," Greenberg said. "I am deeply distressed by what he wrote about Ms. Logan and strongly denounce his comments. They were cruel and insensitive and completely unacceptable."

Rosen is the author of books about Iraq including "In the Belly of the Green Bird: The Triumph of the Martyrs in Iraq" and "Aftermath: Following the Bloodshed of America's Wars in the Muslim World."

He has written for publications including Time, The New Yorker and the New York Times Magazine.

Copyright © 2011 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserv
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

And free speech takes another hit. He wasn't inciting anyone to violence, he was commenting on violence that already happened. What makes his Tweets and different than any other Op-Ed piece?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
      And free speech takes another hit. He wasn't inciting anyone to violence, he was commenting on violence that already happened. What makes his Tweets and different than any other Op-Ed piece?
      Sir,

I believe free speech only takes a hit when there's legal action involved. The counter to his free speech was by others using free speech.
      Everybody sing this song, DooDah, DooDah

Comment

Originally posted by random_reader View Post
        Sir,

I believe free speech only takes a hit when there's legal action involved. The counter to his free speech was by others using free speech.
        First of all, I'm not a sir. I'm a 24 year old Uni student.

Second of all, how much do you want to bet that behind the scenes there was some defininte posturing and threatening against Mr. Rosen that he could either quit or be fired? The end result is that Mr. Rosen Tweeted his comments and was out of his job the next day. I don't think he was so overcome with remorse over his Tweets that he felt the need to resign
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

First of all, I'm not a sir. I'm a 24 year old Uni student.

Second of all, how much do you want to bet that behind the scenes there was some defininte posturing and threatening against Mr. Rosen that he could either quit or be fired? The end result is that Mr. Rosen Tweeted his comments and was out of his job the next day. I don't think he was so overcome with remorse over his Tweets that he felt the need to resign
          No bet, but it's a private company that ought to be allowed to do what they want for their looks along with its own right to freedom of association.
          Everybody sing this song, DooDah, DooDah

Comment

Funny, I always thought Universities was where the revolutionary hotbeds were and where the revolutions fermented and occurred. Apparently NYU is not much of a free-thinking institution....

Comment

He resigned because he was revealed to be a low class POS and an embarassment to whatever institutions he was associated with. And his abjectly 'remorseful' comments the very next day revealed him to be also spineless.

No sympathy from me. If I were NYU I'd fire him too.
              Last edited by citanon; 17 Feb 11,, 12:19.

Comment

Working...
              X