• Show
Clear All

• Iran tests anti-ship missiles

Looks like a mod SA-2 SAM.

Iran tests anti-ship missiles
    Published: Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    ArticleArticle
    ListenListen

TEHRAN, Feb. 9 (UPI) -- Tehran announced that it is mass-producing ballistic missiles that can travel three times the speed of sound and hit naval targets on the high seas.

Cmdr. Mohammad Ali Jafari, who heads the elite military force, the Revolutionary Guards, said the missile had a range of 186 miles, cannot be tracked and can hit targets with high precision.
    GALLERY: Iran's Military Strength

"Iran is mass-producing a smart ballistic missile for sea targets with a speed three times more than the speed of sound," state news agency IRNA quoted Jafari as saying about the new missile.

He didn't elaborate but footage of the test-launch on state television showed a missile being fired from a mobile launcher from a desert terrain.

The announcement of the new missile comes as Iran has celebrations to mark the 32nd anniversary of its Islamic revolution, which toppled the U.S.-backed shah.

Jafari said the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps was also in the process of developing radar with a range of 310 miles. He said longer-range radar would be produced beginning March 21.

Military officials said the projects constituted a "long leap" in maintaining the security of Iran.

The announcements sound a day after the chief of Iran's Revolutionary Guard warned it would close the Strait of Hormuz if Iran were to be threatened.

Experts estimate about 40 percent of all oil shipments transit the strait, which is basically the mouth of the Persian Gulf.

The announcement also follows Iran's unveiling of new satellites, which it said were domestically engineered and manufactured.

Details of that project are also scarce but should the Islamic republic proceed with its deployment in space it will signal substantial improvement in its missile guidance capability.

Tehran has tried to allay concerns, saying that the project remains on a scientific level.

"Every now and then they get the idea of testing new missiles," said Ali Nourizadeh of the Center for Arab and Iranian Studies. "Once we discovered that they had used Photoshop to show seven missiles simultaneously."

It remained unclear whether military officials in the United States and Israel were dubious of Iran's announcement.

Meir Javedanfar, author of "The Nuclear Sphinx of Tehran" was quoted by Fox News as saying that Iran's test-firing signaled that Tehran "takes the threats against its nuclear facilities seriously."

The United States and Israel haven't ruled out the option of military strikes against Iran to stop its nuclear program.

Read more: Iran tests anti-ship missiles - UPI.com
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Never mind the missiles. Freedom loving Iranians are once again gearing up for a massive demonstration which will start in about 7 hours.

I'm not expecting to see the regime topple tomorrow (I would love to see it though :D) but it will be another battle toward the final victory in war against barbaric republic. Stay tuned and wish them well.

Comment

www.indiandefencenews.in

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
        Never mind the missiles. Freedom loving Iranians are once again gearing up for a massive demonstration which will start in about 7 hours.

I'm not expecting to see the regime topple tomorrow (I would love to see it though :D) but it will be another battle toward the final victory in war against barbaric republic. Stay tuned and wish them well.
        I doesn't look like it went well.

With minutes to go before the planned start of the protest, there was little sign of organized dissent. The authorities have made no secret of their resolve to stop the march and deny the protesters a permit to demonstrate.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps was blunt.
        “The conspirators are nothing but corpses,” Hossein Hamadani, a top commander of the corps, said Wednesday in comments published by the official IRNA news agency. “Any incitement will be dealt with severely.”

Comment

Dave,
          Respectfully disagree.

It was huge and still ongoing. We don't see or hear about it b/c it is totall journalist black out (specially foreign) and Teewter, Facebook are all blocked. Here is a report from BBC.

BBC News - Iran police fire tear gas at opposition rally in Tehran

Protestors have managed to override internet filters and have posted many video clips in U-tube. You can see them by typing "25 Bahman protest Iran" in Y.T.

Comment

I wonder how bad the economic pressure is. I hear that youth unemployment is at 25% (and that's probably only in the cities), and those are official figures.

Comment

Originally posted by shash2k2 View Post
              The missile displayed had a max 5 kg warhead. The ship was not hit by a 5 kg warhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                Dave,
                Respectfully disagree.

It was huge and still ongoing. We don't see or hear about it b/c it is totall journalist black out (specially foreign) and Teewter, Facebook are all blocked. Here is a report from BBC.

BBC News - Iran police fire tear gas at opposition rally in Tehran

Protestors have managed to override internet filters and have posted many video clips in U-tube. You can see them by typing "25 Bahman protest Iran" in Y.T.
                Thanks Aryajet...got it now. It's not a country that tolerates protesters and I have to admire their bravery

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Thanks Aryajet...got it now. It's not a country that tolerates protesters and I have to admire their bravery
                  And to think that A-jad publicly declared solidarity with the protestors in Egypt after they brought down a less authoritarian regime than his own.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                    And to think that A-jad publicly declared solidarity with the protestors in Egypt after they brought down a less authoritarian regime than his own.
                    Yep, amazing huh. Cheer on Egypts protests while locking up all his opposition. I hope the Iranians take note of this.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Regardless of # of protester (which was over 400,000 in Tehran alone) the Feb 14 protest was a huge victory for people of Iran. After the events of 2009 and after beating, murdering, raping, incarcerating and mass show trial of the opposition, thugs of barbaric republic have been maintaining this victorious posture indicating they were well capable of silencing and even obliterating the opposition. Their 24/7 well lubricated propaganda machines have been running overtime just claiming the movement is dead and situation is under total control of the regime.
                      All of sudden "BOOM" the big bubble got burst and dreams were shattered.

Within span of 3 days Iranian were mobilized, organized and on the streets again but this time all chants were directed at the head of the snake "Ayattoilett Khamenei".

It was huge enough to make Obama administration to change course and act real tough against the rulers of Iran.

After the start of June 2009 protests it took Obama 7 days to come up in the open and give nothing more than a lip service to Iranian people, thinking by extending an olive branch toward mullas he might be able to strike a nuclear deal which could definitely be a huge step fwd toward his 2012 reelection. But when he got the middle finger again from them in Istanbul he realized that no one could ever trust a mulla so this time he did not miss the moment and jumped on the correct band wagon.
                      His and Hillary Clinton speeches regarding the protest have plenty of material in them.
                      I'll see if I can find and post them.

Comment

Working...
                      X