IBM Watson on Jeopardy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Watson on Jeopardy!

This is a must see- starting next Monday, a computer will take on 2 of the all time Jeopardy champions in a 3 game match.

NOVA had a special on this last nite. it was reallly amazing, the Jeopardy format is very challenging in that the clues involve all kinds of word plays, puns, etc. Watson will have 3 seconds to decypher the clue and derive the correct question.

If you're interested in AI, you don't want to miss this one. Watson will be completely stand alone, no internet connections, no humans in the loop.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Dang. Normally I don't miss having a tv at all.
    Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 13 Feb 11,, 20:27.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

saw that in last week's NOVA, the programming logic (pattern recognition) is most interesting.
      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

So round one ended in a tie, Watson pulled ahead in round two.

Final round tonite, winner gets a million bucks.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I understand the programming logic to find the answers of questions asked; but there was something that piqued my interest, mainly Watson's reasoning for betting certain amounts in Double Jeopardies and Final Jeopardy. What kind of risk-benefit analysis did he perform in deciding how much to bet depending on the topic and the situation at hand? It seems that kind of thing is more abstract and potentially more difficult than just answering a question that contains complex sentences.

EDIT: Possible implications for business decisions perhaps in the future?
          Last edited by random_reader; 16 Feb 11,, 20:20.
          Everybody sing this song, DooDah, DooDah

Comment

What will Watson do with the million bucks? buy itself a fancy oak cabinette? an expensive new cpu upgrade?
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
              What will Watson do with the million bucks? buy itself a fancy oak cabinette? an expensive new cpu upgrade?
              Sir,

IBM stated they would donate the money to charity.

Comment

Skynet is taking over!
                Last edited by bigross86; 17 Feb 11,, 01:04.
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

And I, for one, welcome our new computer overlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                    And I, for one, welcome our new computer overlord.
                    I, for one, welcome our new computer overlord.

So does Mr. Jennings apparently.

Comment

Anyways, I've been fascinated with Watson's risk-benefit analysis, particularly when he went from betting in the thousands for the first daily jeopardy then going down to $367 in the second daily jeopardy after he got the first one wrong. Is it too paranoid of me to think maybe Watson got cautious because of that previous mistake which would imply he's somewhat of a learner in such an abstract thought process?

Comment

I can't wait until the eggheads create a machine that will be smart and powerful and well armed enough to make us into slaves.

Because they are sure trying as hard as they can to do so.

Scientists are idiots.

Comment

Bill, which would you prefer, the Zombie apocalypse or Skynet taking over?
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I actually root for a zombie apocalypse. I'm totally ready for that. ;)

There is no preparing for a machine based Armageddon. None. It would simply mean the extinction of the human race, we would have absolutely no chance to fight back whatsoever.

And our scientists will absolutely not rest until they give us one.

We get closer every day.

Comment

How about a massive EMP?

Comment

Working...
                              X