PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Ziska
18 May 05,, 01:11
Allrighty, I've got my ticket to the premiere, it is now 180910LMAY05. At 190001LMAY05 I'll be sitting in the cinema watching Star Wars a good ten-fifteen hours before the rest of you :)

I love living in Australia sometimes.

TopHatter
18 May 05,, 01:20
Allrighty, I've got my ticket to the premiere, it is now 180910LMAY05. At 190001LMAY05 I'll be sitting in the cinema watching Star Wars a good ten-fifteen hours before the rest of you :)

I love living in Australia sometimes.

Supposed to be one hell of a ride. Kevin Smith of Clerks fame, and a HUGE Star Wars fan had a private screening (at Cannes I think) and said some profanely glowing words of praise about it..."Fcuking awesome" or something like that

dave angel
18 May 05,, 01:27
the circle is now complete....

i know this is sad, but despite being 34 my phone has an 'imperial theme tune' ringtone, darth vader breathing for text messages and lightsaber keypad tones.

i shall now sit in the shed for being a sad git.

Ziska
18 May 05,, 01:32
Man, I had a star wars doona cover on my bed up until I got married last year. Emily refuses to sleep under it :(

Lunatock
18 May 05,, 01:38
Not quite as big a fan of Star Wars as when Empire Strikes Back was in the theatres, but I am clinging to a strange notion that a chap, calls himself .44 hollowpoint is known as Ian Mcdiarimid IRL...

Veni Vidi Vici
18 May 05,, 01:53
Haha, this is why i never chose computer programming as a living ;)

TopHatter
18 May 05,, 17:40
"Revenge of the Sith has won mixed reviews from critics, with some saying it shows Lucas back in top form after the first two deadly dull episodes of the prologue, while others have dismissed it as flat and futile."

Confed999
18 May 05,, 23:51
I'll catch it on DVD...

Ziska
19 May 05,, 01:23
IMHO, the film is awesome. The action was great, the pace was just right, Hayden Christiansen was actually pretty good. There were no cringe-worthy scenes (like in Episode 2), and all in all, I give it 4 stars, plus 1/2 a star for being star wars :) I'd rate it up with the origionals.... almost. Not enough characters to quite make it though.

Go see it. General Grievious is cool. Oh yeah, best thing is that Jar Jar utters not a word during the whole thing.

TopHatter
19 May 05,, 03:07
IMHO, the film is awesome. The action was great, the pace was just right, Hayden Christiansen was actually pretty good. There were no cringe-worthy scenes (like in Episode 2), and all in all, I give it 4 stars, plus 1/2 a star for being star wars :) I'd rate it up with the origionals.... almost. Not enough characters to quite make it though.

Go see it. General Grievious is cool. Oh yeah, best thing is that Jar Jar utters not a word during the whole thing.

I heard about Jar Jar's non-appearance. May I have an anticipatory snicker of delight? *heh heh* Actually, I was hoping somebody would lightsabre him into Gungan steaks.
The biggest fight I am going to have tomorrow is keeping our IT guy's mouth shut. He is going to see it tonight.
Hey, how many people here were old enough to see the original in the theater?
I wasn't old enough for the first release in 1977, just the 3rd release in 1979.
However I vividly remember Return of the Jedi in '83

Ziska
19 May 05,, 03:10
I was born in 83 :) I was into star wars ever since I was little, and the re-releases in the 90's reinforced if bigtime.

Bill
19 May 05,, 10:00
"Hey, how many people here were old enough to see the original in the theater?
I wasn't old enough for the first release in 1977, just the 3rd release in 1979.
However I vividly remember Return of the Jedi in '83"

I saw the original at the drive in. Then i saw it at a regular theater, then i saw it about a dozen other times at the theater...then they invented the VCR, and i saw it about 100 freakin' times.

LOL...i know that movie line for line, even now. ;)

TopHatter
19 May 05,, 15:20

I saw the original at the drive in. Then i saw it at a regular theater, then i saw it about a dozen other times at the theater...then they invented the VCR, and i saw it about 100 freakin' times.

Heh heh....glad to know I'm not the only one :biggrin:

When I was a kid, I simply could not believe that something so friggin cool even existed. I was particulary obsessed with the Millenium Falcon's quad gun turrets.
A perfectly normal thing for a 5 year old I think :redface:

Lunatock
19 May 05,, 19:56

Two questions.

1. Does Jar-Jar die as rumored?

2. Is Christopher Lee/Count Dooku severly underused in this episode as well?

Bill
19 May 05,, 19:59
Jar-Jar doesn't say a freakin' word(thank god)
Anakin cuts Dooku a new heiney hole.

LOL.

Lunatock
19 May 05,, 20:03
Jar-Jar doesn't say a freakin' word(thank god)
Anakin cuts Dooku a new heiney hole.

LOL.

:mad: More spoilers! Count Dooku dies...The Empire rises to power...Anakin goes to the side of evil. Damn people that have to ruin everything. ;)

Beaugeste93
19 May 05,, 20:54

I saw the original in '77 about two weeks after it premiered. I was 6 and it was the first PG movie my parents let me see. Caught the other two originals also when they first came out. And many many many times since.

I'm not a total star wars geek but i am taking off tomorrow night to go see it...

If you are a halfway geek like me, check out TheForce.net and the hard corps geeks. It makes me feel downright well-adjusted to listen to those folks.

BTW has anyone seen the Triumph dog bit harassing the people in line to see Episode 2? Hysterical. The best is when he asks a very pregnant fan if she is giving birth to another nerd. She says "yes, another Jedi" and he tells her that the birth will be the last time the little nerd ever sees female genitalia. LOL

ChrisF202
20 May 05,, 02:14
Everyone in this town is ou of control, they are totally into Star Wars ... I cant understand why lol, its just a movie to me. Yeah, the first 3 (77,79,83) were good and should be listed as classics but the 1999 one just ruined it for me, it was a total bore in my opinion. I heard 2002 wasent much better. Maybe ill go see this one this weekend.

TopHatter
23 May 05,, 15:56
Everyone in this town is ou of control, they are totally into Star Wars ... I cant understand why lol, its just a movie to me. Yeah, the first 3 (77,79,83) were good and should be listed as classics but the 1999 one just ruined it for me, it was a total bore in my opinion. I heard 2002 wasent much better. Maybe ill go see this one this weekend.

Yeah, pretty much the case Chris. The prequels concentrate so damn hard on the visual effects that they lose what made the originals so successful. PEOPLE! REAL HUMAN ACTORS! Who gives a flying fcuk if 10,000 CGI characters get mowed down?

I recall a documentary called From Star Wars to Jedi that was made not too long after Return of the Jedi came out. During one of the interviews George Lucas says "A special effect is just a tool. A special effect with a story is a pretty boring thing". DING DING DING!! Give the man a Kewpie Doll!
Apparently this does not apply to CGI effects. :frown:

Bill
24 May 05,, 01:37
The movie was very solid, but by no means did it match the feel of the first three.

It was Good, but still, to me....a dissapointment.

TopHatter
24 May 05,, 06:37
The movie was very solid, but by no means did it match the feel of the first three. It was Good, but still, to me....a dissapointment.

********* SPOILERS ************

Oh to be sure, it blew away Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.
There was some honestly gut-wrenching parts in it, especially when the Jedi were stabbed in the back by the clones and when the younglings innocently ask Anakin what they should do, and he responds by igniting his saber.
But yeah....disappointing is what I felt after the credits started to roll.
I turned to the woman sitting next to me and said "I waited 25 years for THAT??" She cracked up :biggrin: