Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partisans- Heroic Patriots or Bloody Murderers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partisans- Heroic Patriots or Bloody Murderers?

Discuss!
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

I don't see anything heroic in their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury
      I don't see anything heroic in their actions.
      Which partisans are you talking about? The type that behead soldiers and civilians that are bound hand and foot? Or the type that that sneak up behind them in the dark and put a round in the back of their head?

Any specific partisans in mind? French Maquis, Muslim terrorists in Iraq at the moment, Colonel Mosby's Confederate partisans etc?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Any and all partisans. If you would like to discuss your feelings about each group, feel free to do so. ;)
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

same as everyone else, they are defined by their actions, not by whatever label someone chooses to give them.
          before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Just so. If they do murder - as distinct to killing enemy combatants in defense of their country - they are murderers.

Comment

Depends on who wins - heroes or criminals. What’s being done is dictated by their hearts and minds, they believe they are doing a service to their cause.

Bombing London = BAD
              Bombing Hamburg & Dresden = GOOD
              Bombing Pearl Harbor = BAD
              Bombing Tokyo & Kobe = GOOD

LeMay commented on the firebombing of Japan: "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal."

Even Churchill remarked: “The destruction of Dresden remains a serious query against the conduct of Allied bombing.”

It all depends on which side gets to write the history books.
              AK-Dave

Those who trade liberty for security have none.

Comment

"It all depends on which side gets to write the history books"

Exactly.
                One exception was the British/Dutch in South Africa. The Africans were murderers when the British were occupying the country, but when S. Africa gained independence, the Afrikaans were viewed as murderers.
                But that really isn't a true exception. The same rule applies in a different way. Japan I guess would be a better example.

Comment

Bullsh1t 'exactly'.

It's about your conduct while under arms, not the side you fight for.

Comment

I agree. The bombing of dresden was not 'good', whilst the bombing of London was legitimate. Sure it sucked for the londoners, but it was the capital of the UK, and their largest city.

History is written by the victors, but there are absolutes in war.
                    SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

I could rant and rave all day about victor's justice, especially concerning the Allies during WWII, but I've done so much of it in that past that I'm sick and tired of it.

Comment

“It's about your conduct while under arms, not the side you fight for.”

I agree 110%, integrity among professional soldiers. The way it’s recorded in history does not make it right. Morally wrong is still wrong, crimes against humanity. But the truth can take a beating.

OK, no WWII. What about the U.S. Army and the Plains Indians? We invaded their lands and they fought back. Gave good purpose for the military between wars anyway.

This whole discussion is an exercise in ethics and depends on which side of the table you are sitting.
                        AK-Dave

Comment

although i believe there are absolutes in terms of behaviour for those engaged in fighting - and they come into play regardless of the uniform you wear, the cause you support or the deperate nature of your position - i'm afraid that compared to what the nazi's were doing, pretty much anything anybody else did paled into insignificance.

in another situation and against another enemy the attacks on dresden would be widely considered a war crime. however, given the antipathy that the germans had managed to arouse against themselves by the end of the war nobody was remotely interested in what allied actions may or may not have been morally dubious.

not so much 'victors justice' as 'reaping the whirlwind'.
                          before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

That is a major factor in justification, diminishing the humanity of an enemy. The portrayal of an enemy helps gain public sympathy and acceptance to actions. Describing them as animals or sub-human. What wicked webs we weave.
                            AK-Dave

Comment

I'll Ratzinger the discussion: No moral relativism.
                              Put it up for Pope Benedict XVI!

Comment

Working...
                              X