Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclone Yasi

ETA is sometime around now in Queensland. Hope you Aussies are ready for it

The storm's approach has been closely monitored and every effort made to alert the population, the refuge centres are open, the power grid and utilities are being shut down ahead of the storm's landfall in a systematic fashion and extra Police, emergency services and army units have been pre-deployed or put on standby. In addition most modern homes in the region are designed to a "cyclone proof standard" (as far there is such a thing) so we are probably as well prepared as we can be - plus Queenslanders are tough. That said we learn new lessons every time this happens, fingers crossed for everyone in its path.
    Last edited by Monash; 02 Feb 11,, 13:45.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Hang in there, Australia.

You are in our prayers.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Early reports are 'could have been worse'. The bigger population centres appear to have missed the worst. There appears to be heavy damage in some smaller towns sth of Cairns, but it is too early yo know how bad or if there has been any loss of life. No doubt there will be flooding to follow in some areas.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          Early reports are 'could have been worse'. The bigger population centres appear to have missed the worst. There appears to be heavy damage in some smaller towns sth of Cairns, but it is too early yo know how bad or if there has been any loss of life. No doubt there will be flooding to follow in some areas.
          Have you any recent reports on the damage around Townsville? I have friends there who foolishly? decided to stay. I know they lost power approx 24hrs ago and have not heard anything since.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            Have you any recent reports on the damage around Townsville? I have friends there who foolishly? decided to stay. I know they lost power approx 24hrs ago and have not heard anything since.

Dave. The word is 'not too bad. I have one workmate with a sister in Cairns & another with a son in Mission beach - where the storm made landfall. Apparently phone & power infrastructure is intact & damage is widespread but not serious. Lots of houses unroofed, but not destroyed. Most remarkable, no deaths reported.

Townsville won't be as bad. The storm surge was also not too bad, though there may be some minor flooding from the rain. I would bet that your friends are fine, if probably a wee bit tired & shaken.
            sigpic

Comment

Dave. The word is 'not too bad. I have one workmate with a sister in Cairns & another with a son in Mission beach - where the storm made landfall. Apparently phone & power infrastructure is intact & damage is widespread but not serious. Lots of houses unroofed, but not destroyed. Most remarkable, no deaths reported.

Townsville won't be as bad. The storm surge was also not too bad, though there may be some minor flooding from the rain. I would bet that your friends are fine, if probably a wee bit tired & shaken.
              Thanks BF. Contact has been made (0810GMT) and all is fine.. for now. Not too much damage and certainly not as bad as they expected.

Comment

My intrepid wandering Son is in ozz , I checked with him last night , he is safe on Bondi beach he tells me ,,,, Cheers ferky . ;)

Comment

If anyone wants an idea just how big & powerful this thing was, here's a few tidbits.

*A pre-season football match in Alice Springs has been cancelled because the huge low pressure system/storm that is the remnants of the cyclone has parked itself over Central Oz. That is probably 1500kms west of where the cyclone hit eariler this week.

*Over the past 24 hours Melbourne has experienced widespread flash flooding largely as a result of heavy rain clouds spun off from Yasi. We are roughly 2500 kms sth of where the cyclone made landfall.
                  sigpic

Comment

If anyone wants an idea just how big & powerful this thing was, here's a few tidbits.

*A pre-season football match in Alice Springs has been cancelled because the huge low pressure system/storm that is the remnants of the cyclone has parked itself over Central Oz. That is probably 1500kms west of where the cyclone hit eariler this week.

*Over the past 24 hours Melbourne has experienced widespread flash flooding largely as a result of heavy rain clouds spun off from Yasi. We are roughly 2500 kms sth of where the cyclone made landfall.
                    Amazing. I hope you have plenty of sandbags BF;) We in the UK get a weather warning if a snowflake is spotted of our coast and I would hate to think of the panic if anything like this was to come over our fair and pleasant land.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                      I would hate to think of the panic if anything like this was to come over our fair and pleasant land.
                      No chance, the Brits do things differently. Remember that great strom that hit London in the late eighties.

What did the met office say the day before ?

"it will be slightly windy tonight"

Entire trees uprooted but only three fatalties.

No panic, everybody cursing the met for bungling it.

Mission achieved

Comment

Working...
                      X