Chili recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili recipes

I've got the office chili cook-off this Friday, and wanted to see if anybody's got a kick a$$ chili recipe that they are willing to share. I've got something picked off of the internet, but wanted to see if anyone had a relatively simple chili that they'd like to offer up as a possibility.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I personally don't have one, but I'll bet Julie and a couple others here have one.

After the cook-off I'll move this over to the recipe thread
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I'll look around, haven't made chili in a while - yellow corn muffin mix for thickening and amber ale are good ingredients. Brown the onions, not too lean beef.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The ingredients I use for Chili: Bush's chili beans. You can get them in mild, medium, or spicy flaver (I personally use medium); Hunt's Seasoned Diced Tomato Sauce For Chili; chuck hamburger meat. Chili powder to taste.

You can adjust these ingredients according to your taste. Some like more beans than others, etc.

Comment

I don't use a recipe, but my chili generally goes something like this-

Ingredients: 1 large onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 1 can diced tomatoes, unspecified amount of ground beef, chili powder, whole cumin, garlic powder or fresh garlic, cocoa.

Dice an onion and a bell pepper, and some garlic (I don't actually do this much, because I'm lazy and use garlic powder instead). Brown some ground beef (Actually this doesn't happen very often either, because I'm cheap and like meatless chili). Throw the onions/peppers in there and sautee them a little.

Put in a can of red kidneys and a can of black beans. I like a combination of red kidneys and black beans- I like the sweetness of the kidneys combined with the rich meatiness of black beans. Add a can of diced tomatoes- I'm still not sure what the ideal bean/'mater ratio is, but 2:1 seems close enough.

Salt to taste. Dump in a ridiculous amount of chili powder and whole cumin. Let it simmer for a while, see if it tastes all right. It won't, because you didn't add enough chili and cumin. Add more. Probably needs more garlic, add some powder. When it's close to right, cautiously add some cocoa powder- too much makes it bitter, but a little rounds out the flavor nicely. Continue in this vein till it tastes right. Cook till it thickens.

You can of course scale up to whatever size necessary and adjust everything to taste.
          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Well, I could have provided more a recipe like that ^^^, but he said simple (which means quick), so I provided ingredients that already have most of the spices. :) If I want a good slow-cook chili, I use fresh onions and peppers, etc. and cook it in a crock-pot on low overnight.

Hell, what I would do is use the ingredients I provided, brown the chuck, then put it in a crock-pot overnite, and take it to work the next morning.
            Last edited by Julie; 25 Jan 11,, 22:37.

Comment

What I do takes maybe an hour, hour and a half tops. Maybe less. More for a bigger pot.
              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Beans in Chili? Where I live you can get arrested for that.

Humble suggestion to all Chili aficionados around the world:
                Once a year spare an hour of your precious time and make your own Chili powder, the ready made powders from the market always have some nasty stuff in them and they taste as bland as plaster.
                You will need 3 type of dried chile peppers for it, Ancho, Pasilla and chile Arbor (by volume 1 Ancho and 1/2 each Pasilla and Arbor). Open them all and get rid of seeds and stems, dry toast them in a frying pan, let them rest for an hour or so, then powder them up in a spice grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                  What I do takes maybe an hour, hour and a half tops. Maybe less. More for a bigger pot.
                  Yeah but a slow cook as Julie mentioned will make a world of difference.

Otherwise cook it the night before and let stuff marinate overnight.

Not sure if this will come close to the crock pot though.

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                  Humble suggestion to all Chili aficionados around the world:
                  Once a year spare an hour of your precious time and make your own Chili powder, the ready made powders from the market always have some nasty stuff in them and they taste as bland as plaster.
                  And i'm betting every Indian mother will agree with you on that, to do otherwise would be sacrilege

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                  You will need 3 type of dried chile peppers for it, Ancho, Pasilla and chile Arbor (by volume 1 Ancho and 1/2 each Pasilla and Arbor). Open them all and get rid of seeds and stems, dry toast them in a frying pan, let them rest for an hour or so, then powder them up in a spice grinder.
                  The procedure you mentioned is the same as it is here but we don't get those types of chilles here though. We (ppl i know) use just one kind, known as bedki, mainly because it gives a rich colour and isn't very harsh. The powder you get in shops uses a cheaper grade of chilli, is possibly adulterated with something else ie filler for profit, has a lousy colour and is very hot.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Jan 11,, 10:31.

Comment

That's one of my main problems with chili: I love the chili, I hate spicy food. We usually make 2 batches at home, one of spicy stuff and one of mild
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                      That's one of my main problems with chili: I love the chili, I hate spicy food. We usually make 2 batches at home, one of spicy stuff and one of mild
                      B.R,

The recipe I suggested is not hot at all and porportions can be altered to taste. The color and sweetness comes from Ancho, Pasilla provides the complex taste you expect form a fine chili and heat comes from Chile Arbor. If you don't like the heat just cut the Arbor portion in half or even in quarter..

Comment

Shek,

Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out. :)

Comment

Some good ideas here. I like AG's recipie. I always add a couple of whole dried cloves (the little black things) & use a combination of fresh chillies & chilli powder. A couple of little red bird's eye chillies are great, then add powder if you need more kick. You do need to cook a little bit longer with the fresh chillies to make sure they break down & spread evenly. (I'm not sure exactly what is available easily in DC, I live next to a big Vietnamese area, so fresh chillies, dried chillies & dried spices are available in infinite variety).
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                          X