PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy

bigross86
29 Sep 03,, 21:56
What do you guys think is Tom Clancy's greatest book of all times, and which is the greatest Jack Ryan novel?

2DREZQ
29 Sep 03,, 22:17
The Sum of All Fears

because the Vikings make it to the Superbowl, and didn't loose! Of course, they didn't win either...

TopHatter
29 Sep 03,, 22:42
I have to agree, Sum Of All Fears was in my opinion the best of the Jack Ryan novels. I've re-read it dozens of times and never really get tired of it.
I really like Red Storm Rising as well but I wish he and Larry Bond had wrote it a little later in their careers (by which time the Cold War was over, naturally).
My two most favorite parts in Sum was the Prologue during the Yom Kippur War and then when Ibrahim Ghosn is laboriously dismantling the bomb (not realizing what it is) while Fowler is spouting on about closing Pandora's box. Oh geez, and the whole end of the book :dbanana

Stinger
30 Sep 03,, 13:57
Without Remorse.

bigross86
30 Sep 03,, 14:56
Hunt for Red October. I've got the book, the VHS and the DVD. I absolutely love that book.

TopHatter
30 Sep 03,, 15:03
The best about Hunt (the book) was the harrasement mission that the A-10s and B-52s flew against the Kara battlegroup. Oh and of course any part that had the New Jersey in it :D

bigross86
30 Sep 03,, 15:23
Yeah, that Hawg run was bitchin. Too bad there aren't too many movies out there with Hawgs in them...

Scott
07 Oct 03,, 19:41
The Hunt for Red October...best novel ever, and best movie ever...only thing I have an issue with is that Clancy sometimes has a bad habit of writing too technical on military equipment when it comes to making a work of fiction.

TopHatter
07 Oct 03,, 19:49
Scott,
Agreed, especially lately. Clancy has started talking about the newest stuff so much, he sounds like an advertisement for defense contractors. Annoying as hell.

Hey bigross, the only movie that I can recall having a Hawg in it was Courage Under Fire . It is properly introduced to the story by an Army JO as "...one BIG ass A-10 Thunderbolt!"

Bill
08 Oct 03,, 07:51
Red storm rising, without a doubt.

sparten
11 Jul 05,, 14:10

good read, especially the attack on the Nimitz. Do not thik much about his assumptions though. He seems o rely too much on American good fortune.

Amled
11 Jul 05,, 14:17
Ditto.

TopHatter
11 Jul 05,, 14:26
good read, especially the attack on the Nimitz. Do not thik much about his assumptions though. He seems o rely too much on American good fortune.

He does indeed, though there is usually plenty of American disfortune as well, such as the attack on the Nimitz battlegroup :redface:

giggs88
11 Jul 05,, 15:10
hellz yeah.

Lunatock
11 Jul 05,, 18:57
Never got into the Jack Ryan Stories yet, but I'm about halfway through Teeth Of The Tiger (first Clancy novel I've picked up)

TopHatter
11 Jul 05,, 20:13
Never got into the Jack Ryan Stories yet, but I'm about halfway through Teeth Of The Tiger (first Clancy novel I've picked up)

Technically of the Jack Ryan universe, though only featuring relatives of the Ryanverse characters.

It had it's good points I guess, but not the incredible re-readability of Red Storm Rising or Hunt For Red October

Beaugeste93
11 Jul 05,, 20:29
Its hard to choose, but I guess I'd have to go with Sum of all Fears, but Red Storm Rising and Without Remorse are close behind. For years it was Red Storm, but it did become dated rather quickly.

dalem
11 Jul 05,, 21:36
I think that Without Remorse is probably his best novel, but Red Storm Rising is the one I have the most fun re-reading.

-dale

TopHatter
11 Jul 05,, 21:46
I think that Without Remorse is probably his best novel, but Red Storm Rising is the one I have the most fun re-reading.

-dale

I also have a lot of fun re-reading Sum of All Fears

Major Dad
11 Jul 05,, 23:03

Same here. I lose interest when he gets very far into the spook thing.

Lunatock
12 Jul 05,, 18:56
Actually the first Clancy book I read was Shadow Warriors: Inside The Spec Ops. But that was about real Spec Ops Warriors and actual missions.

Hawg166
13 Jul 05,, 00:57
I used t really like Clancy but I think he sucks now since the majority of his books are Ops Center books written with someone else. He used to rock but his time is past. None wil ever be as good a writer especially about covert bad guy operations as Jack Higgins. He is the master and of course the world is a much safer place because of Sean Dillon.

bigross86
13 Jul 05,, 16:52
NEW YORK J.K. Rowling (search) tops the list. Dan Brown (search) is ranked very high. William Shakespeare just missed out.

It's Amazon.com's top 25 best-selling authors.

The online retailer, celebrating its 10th anniversary, announced its biggest sellers Thursday, with Rowling no surprise at No. 1.

The " Harry Potter" author was followed by Spencer Johnson of "Who Moved My Cheese?" fame, romance novelist Nora Roberts and "The Da Vinci Code" author Brown.

Rounding out the top 10 were Dr. Seuss, John Grisham, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, "Left Behind" novelists Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins and business writer Jim Collins.

Shakespeare was No. 26, one notch below Tom Clancy.

sparten
13 Jul 05,, 21:16
Worst book,
Bear and the Dragon

Best, Sum of All Fears, Hunt for Red October.

Best part in SOAF, the description of boomer warfare, a nice compliment to HFRO.

dalem
13 Jul 05,, 21:57
Ooooo, I think "Rainbow 6" is his worst. True drek in my opinion.

-dale

TopHatter
14 Jul 05,, 18:43
I used t really like Clancy but I think he sucks now since the majority of his books are Ops Center books written with someone else. He used to rock but his time is past.

Agreed. I wish he would do more of his non-fiction Guided Tours.
The small paperback "updates" were written by someone else, I'm pretty sure.

dave angel
14 Jul 05,, 18:52
red storm rising was my favourite, though most of his later stuff seems to be rather 'masterbatory' to me - does he fancy being shagged by some of the US SF community? 'coz thats how he comes across....

his - latterly - blatant ignorance/avoidence of the very international realities that made his first books worth reading is hugely annoying.

i won't bother reading anymore of his (?) outpourings.

Torvalus
14 Jul 05,, 19:04
Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, and without remorse are my favs.

Rainbow Six, Sum of all Fears, The Cardinal of the Kremlin are all worth reading....once.

I liked the last 700 pages of The Bear and the Dragon, the first 700 were a little slow :biggrin:

I fully agree about the op-center books, I read one about the american navy vs the chinese or russian navy and every american torpedo hit and every counter-measure worked. I think by the end of the war the Chinese(or Russian dont remeber)navy was gone and the U.S lost one sub or something so ridiculous that I have not read a Tom Clancy novel since.

sparten
15 Jul 05,, 15:03
Best moment in Bear and Dragon.

Su-27 has limited endurence.
When I read that, I knew that it was time to demand a refund from that rather nice salesgirl at Saeed Books. Never trust a Pathani. And the part about an attack on an ICBM field............