Messi wins Ballon d'Or? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messi wins Ballon d'Or? Really?

Won neither the Champion's League nor the World Cup, yet he wins. Weird. I figured Xavi was a shoe in. Would have voted for Schneider, myself, if he'd made the last three.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
    Won neither the Champion's League nor the World Cup, yet he wins. Weird. I figured Xavi was a shoe in. Would have voted for Schneider, myself, if he'd made the last three.
    He is Brazilian..almost as good a shoe in as not being English
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Argentinian, actually. But he's definitely got brand power. Much more name recognition than Messi or Iniesta, or Schneider. But still. He was on fire last year, no doubt, and he's been good this year, but not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
        Argentinian, actually.
        oops
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

I can see why Messi got it. He's a great player, and aside from scoring loads of goals, he's almost as frequently setting up goals for his teammates. A solid, all around player
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

top 3 all from one team, Barcelona, ridiculous when you think about it

messi,
            But he's definitely got brand power
            it is crucial when you consider the voting system
            http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/clas...yer_finalx.pdf

however he did get 60 goals in the year which is unbelievable, that 4 goals against arsenal back in April was one to remember. In the world cup the argentine team was severly handicapped by Maradona's stupidity, kind felt sorry for messi, doesnt really give you a chance as a a player so I think it makes it difficult to judge as he really never had a fair opportunity, but thats not the fault of xavi or iniesta who were both outstanding for club and country, as was sneidjer, perhaps all more worthy for 2010.

Forlan all deserves a mention, managed player of the touranmet and tied top goal scorer in the world cup playing for Uruguay, a nation of about 4 million people, but more importantly his general play was outstanding in the touranment. For club he managed 18 goals in 33 apppearances for Atletico Madrid who struggled mid table and he scored all the crucial goals against liverpool in the semis (iam a pool fan) and Fulham in the final, when they won the Europa league, fairly impressive season.

Naturally the defenders, goalkeepers , defensive midfielders alwalys get overlooked

Mourinho won the coach award, hard to argue against that

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
              top 3 all from one team, Barcelona, ridiculous when you think about it

messi,

it is crucial when you consider the voting system
              http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/clas...yer_finalx.pdf
              Good point. I was wondering how the voting worked.

however he did get 60 goals in the year which is unbelievable, that 4 goals against arsenal back in April was one to remember.
              Grr...more like one to forget, for me.

In the world cup the argentine team was severly handicapped by Maradona's stupidity, kind felt sorry for messi, doesnt really give you a chance as a a player so I think it makes it difficult to judge as he really never had a fair opportunity, but thats not the fault of xavi or iniesta who were both outstanding for club and country, as was sneidjer, perhaps all more worthy for 2010.

Forlan all deserves a mention, managed player of the touranmet and tied top goal scorer in the world cup playing for Uruguay, a nation of about 4 million people, but more importantly his general play was outstanding in the touranment. For club he managed 18 goals in 33 apppearances for Atletico Madrid who struggled mid table and he scored all the crucial goals against liverpool in the semis (iam a pool fan) and Fulham in the final, when they won the Europa league, fairly impressive season.
              I felt like Maradona was both a blessing and a curse to Argentina, a great inspiration but also a little bit crazy. It is hard to judge, but it was interesting to see how he performed without Barca supporting him. Agree about Forlan, he had a heck of a season and a stellar World Cup, certainly deserved the Golden Ball.

Naturally the defenders, goalkeepers , defensive midfielders alwalys get overlooked

Mourinho won the coach award, hard to argue against that
              Well, there was Cannavaro after the last WC. But for the most part, very true.

Comment

Working...
              X