AntiMatter Weaponry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AntiMatter Weaponry

Does Any of you guys have several nice articles about AntiMatter Weapons? Cause this might be Future's next Super Weapon

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/live...atter/FAQ.html

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc...ter_weapon.htm

Antimatter weapon
    An Quick Facts about: antimatter
    Matter consisting of elementary particles that are the antiparticles of those making up normal matterantimatter Quick Facts about: weapon
    Any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or huntingweapon would use antimatter as a power source. No antimatter weaponry is known to Quick Facts about: exist
    Quick Summary not found for this subjectexist outside of Quick Facts about: fiction
    A literary work based on the imagination and not necessarily on factfiction. The Quick Facts about: United States Air Force
    The airforce of the United States of America; defends the United States through control and exploitation of air and spaceUnited States Air Force (see "External links"), however, has been interested in Quick Facts about: military
    The military forces of a nationmilitary uses—including destructive applications—of antimatter since the Quick Facts about: Cold War
    A state of political conflict using means short of armed warfareCold War, when it began funding antimatter-related Quick Facts about: physics
    The science of matter and energy and their interactionsphysics Quick Facts about: research
    Systematic investigation to establish factsresearch.

On 24 March 2004, Quick Facts about: Eglin Air Force Base
    Quick Summary not found for this subjectEglin Air Force Base Munitions Directorate official Kenneth Edwards spoke at the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts(*). During the speech, Edwards ostensibly emphasized a potential property of Quick Facts about: positron
    An elementary particle with positive charge; interaction of a positron and an electron results in annihilationpositron weaponry, a type of antimatter weaponry: Unlike Quick Facts about: thermonuclear weaponry
    Quick Summary not found for this subjectthermonuclear weaponry, positron weaponry would leave behind "no nuclear residue". Edwards has granted funding specifically for positron weapons Quick Facts about: technology development
    Quick Summary not found for this subjecttechnology development, according to the Quick Facts about: San Francisco Chronicle
    Quick Summary not found for this subjectSan Francisco Chronicle. The research seeks to find a way of storing positrons for long periods of Quick Facts about: time
    The continuum of experience in which events pass from the future through the present to the pasttime.

There is considerable skepticisim within the physics community about the viability of antimatter weapons. Bob Park refers to the idea as the "doesn't-matter bomb".
    Кто к нам с мечом придет, тот от меча и погибнет.

Comment

Erm ... I have no bloody idea what the above is about.

What I can tell you is the following:

Antimatter is expensive. Very. As such we come back to cost/benefit, i.e. bang per buck.

Whilst nowhere near the kaka cost that dedicated research accels. produce it at bespoke production would still make this caviar+

It does pay off if used in an orbital partical weapon. I direct you to the late Dr.Forward and his popular science intro. to the subject "Mirror Matter - Pioneering Antimatter Physics"" ISBN 0-471-62812-3, Wiley, 1988

It has a chapter dedicated to the potential military apps. :)
      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Erm ... I have no bloody idea what the above is about.
        I second that. Quick, quick, quick.

Comment

Btw, weren't they fitting some sort of ray guns on the F-22 plane?

Comment

That's the F-35.

The plan is to install a 100kw solid state laser.

Comment

"• How mach antimatter can you make in one accelerator cycle?
              Here at CERN we can produce 50 millions antiprotons in each cycle (about once a minute), that allows us to make a few hundred antihydrogen atoms.

The number could be 10 times higher in particular configurations of the accelerator. This sounds a lot, but expressed in grams it is a billionth of a gram in a year."

alright.... its a bit of a slow start
              "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

has anyone here ever read Angels and Demons?
                "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

Originally posted by agent09
                  Does Any of you guys have several nice articles about AntiMatter Weapons? Cause this might be Future's next Super Weapon
                  Starfleet technical manual. Read the section on photon torpedoes.
                  F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

You can't make much antimatter. Its really difficult to contain. Plus, I think that scientists will be reluctant to weaponise their discoveries for corrupt politicians to abuse.

Our money would be better spent educating the world in order to better create universal understanding (ie. eliminate religious fundamentalism). This would lessen the propensity toward armed conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                      Our money would be better spent educating the world in order to better create universal understanding (ie. eliminate religious fundamentalism). This would lessen the propensity toward armed conflict.

Yeah, ya know, I was just thinking that a lot of completely unprovable theories about education having the ability to create universal understanding - by eliminating all that religious fundamentalism, for instance - would REALLY knock the odds of engaging in armed conflict WAY on down there.

How do you come up with this crap? If you just wish it, does it become true to you? Can you point to ANYthing that would tend to verify ANY of that post? NO. Against any evidence, you merely WANT it to be true, and THAT, girlfriend, is exactly WHY YOU ARE A LIBERAL.

Start with this truth: there is not and cannot be any 'universal understanding'. You and I are excellent examples of this, and we're from more-or-less the same culture. How the hell do you expect different people and cultures to come to the same philosophy and viewpoint, educated or not?

Furthermore, what is an Evil Thing - religious fundamentalism - to you and I is exacly 180 degrees out from how it is to somebody that embraces it as undistilled Truth. That is completely independent from our level of education, or the zealot's, as he may be just as educated as you or I and still hold onto his beliefs. Indeed, he may think YOU are the ignorant one, and he'd be correct, at least as regards the tenets of his deeply-held belief system that he thoroughly understands, but you do not. What do you intend to do, barrow, destroy his belief system through what YOU consider to be Truth - a first-class Secular Education, whatever you conceive that to be (which, if you'd but look at it objectively, you hold onto with as much child-like faith as any religious nut), - and have him suddenly break through the darkness of his benighted state to see how just plain WRONGWRONGWRONG he's been?

You're ARROGANT. You assume that you KNOW better than an indvidual which beliefs he must hold to be as aware as yourself. As with any other person that grants to himself the membership into an elite, you wish to turn his darkness into light...for his own good.

Kinda went off, there. But the point is, you are just writing homilies in that post, like liberals are prone to do. It ain't fact that we should just educate the world's ignorant religious nuts to secure ourselves from war. Likely outcome would be religiously-motivated engineers and scientists working for our destruction.

Yep, that's exactly what IS going on out there.

Comment

" Against any evidence, you merely WANT it to be true, and THAT, girlfriend, is exactly WHY YOU ARE A LIBERAL."

LOL Owned

Comment

"Plus, I think that scientists will be reluctant to weaponise their discoveries for corrupt politicians to abuse."

History most certainly does NOT support that conclusion at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                            Yeah, ya know, I was just thinking that a lot of completely unprovable theories about education having the ability to create universal understanding - by eliminating all that religious fundamentalism, for instance - would REALLY knock the odds of engaging in armed conflict WAY on down there
                            Because once people realize that we are all really the same, there isn't anything to fight about anymore. Well, except the distribution of resources. And its possible that all wars are subconsciously fought over resource distribution whether we realize it or not.

Start with this truth: there is not and cannot be any 'universal understanding'. You and I are excellent examples of this, and we're from more-or-less the same culture. How the hell do you expect different people and cultures to come to the same philosophy and viewpoint, educated or not?
                            But despite our differences we have a system of government, education, and mutual understanding that gives us alternatives to shooting each other.

Furthermore, what is an Evil Thing - religious fundamentalism - to you and I is exacly 180 degrees out from how it is to somebody that embraces it as undistilled Truth. That is completely independent from our level of education, or the zealot's, as he may be just as educated as you or I and still hold onto his beliefs. Indeed, he may think YOU are the ignorant one, and he'd be correct, at least as regards the tenets of his deeply-held belief system that he thoroughly understands, but you do not. What do you intend to do, barrow, destroy his belief system through what YOU consider to be Truth - a first-class Secular Education, whatever you conceive that to be (which, if you'd but look at it objectively, you hold onto with as much child-like faith as any religious nut), - and have him suddenly break through the darkness of his benighted state to see how just plain WRONGWRONGWRONG he's been?
                            Good point. But I think that a scientific worldview is superior. Its what allows us to use science to create things like computers, rockets, vaccines, drugs, and medical instruments that improve people's lives. I know that is an arrogant statement, but like I've conceded before, its that confidence that allows our scientists to acheive. I think that when offered the alternative between religious poverty and compassionate and advanced enlightenment, that the people of Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea, etc, will choose the latter.

Likely outcome would be religiously-motivated engineers and scientists working for our destruction.
                            Yeah, but we've got better secular engineers and scientists on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                              Good point. But I think that a scientific worldview is superior. Its what allows us to use science to create things like computers, rockets, vaccines, drugs, and medical instruments that improve people's lives.
                              [/QUOTE]

You know everything on that list was originally funded as a defense project right? Technology filtered down to civilian uses.

I think that when offered the alternative between religious poverty and compassionate and advanced enlightenment, that the people of Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea, etc, will choose the latter.
                              In a perfect world maybe. Most of the afore mentioned people just want to live to see tomorrow. A lot of them have been living in fear their whole lives. People like you usually don't survive too long in places like that. Saddam and the Taliban had an iron grip on their societies. Any disloyalty would usually mean torture or being taken to some back alley and being shot. Remnants of the old regimes or Islamic fanatics will still do that. North Korea is still like that. It's so easy to say "why don't they rise up" siting from our sofas in the west.

Yeah, but we've got better secular engineers and scientists on our side.
                              They're not the ones I'm scared of. I'm scared of the individual who wants a weapon for a specific purpose.
                              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                              X