Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian forces can enter Myanmar to hunt terrorists

Indian forces can enter Myanmar to hunt terrorists

Indian security forces can enter Myanmar to hunt for terrorists after taking due permission from Myanmarese authorities, it was decided in Aizawl on Monday. And to boost their crackdown on Indian separatists hiding in Myanmar, it was also decided that Myanmarese security officials have promised to learn English or Hindi to overcome communication problems.

The decisions to curb trans-border movement of terrorists, arms smuggling and prevent drug trafficking came at a meeting of officers from the Indian home ministry and Myanmar's Chin state.

Both sides agreed to improve border security and share information on cross-border terrorism, a Mizoram home department official said.

The meeting took place in eastern Mizoram's Champhai town on Friday.

The official said: "Myanmar authorities have agreed to allow Indian security forces to enter Myanmar territory along the border after getting permission from the (local) army post commander."

The Indian delegation was led by home ministry's joint secretary S. Singh and the Myanmar officials headed by U. Nay Wing, the army commander of Chin state.

According to Indian officials, several militants from the northeast have taken shelter in Myanmar and Bangladesh and have set up bases and training camps.

"After the Bangladesh crackdown against northeast militants, many Indian guerrillas took shelter in the jungles and hills of Myanmar," a Border Security Force (BSF) official said.

The official said that though Mizoram was the only state in the region free of separatist activities, militants from other states occasionally used its borders for safe passage.

The next meeting of the border liaison officers will be held in Myanmar in April 2011 to review the progress of the joint action.

Mizoram has a 404-km border with Myanmar and a 318-km border with Bangladesh.

Four Indian states - Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram - share the 1,640-km border with Myanmar manned by Assam Rifles. The dense forests in most parts make the border porous and highly vulnerable.

Indian forces can enter Myanmar chasing terrorists - Hindustan Times
    Positive development for India in its eastern region. Several guerrilla groups in India's NE region operate from Burma; from Burma's western regions where the Burmese Junta itself does not have much control. Win-win for both sides.
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

such information if true must be acted upon first rather the publishing on daily newspapers.

Comment

This is a good development.

I have't read about it much recently. Can you please post a few more updates on the same?

regards,
      SP

Comment

Providing India doesn't bleed too much for the Tatmadaw's benefit.

Comment

Providing India doesn't bleed too much for the Tatmadaw's benefit.
          Agreed. I would support this only if the aim of the actions is to attack terrorist groups that directly inflict damage on Indian soil. The Indian army isn't and shouldn't be mercenaries.
          "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
            Agreed. I would support this only if the aim of the actions is to attack terrorist groups that directly inflict damage on Indian soil. The Indian army isn't and shouldn't be mercenaries.
            I agree with you completely. However, as far as I am aware (since I am an IA officer's son) it is highly unlikely that we will carry out any mercenary type of job. However, world is more complicated than what we presume.

Let's hope for the best.

Comment

I agree with you completely. However, as far as I am aware (since I am an IA officer's son) it is highly unlikely that we will carry out any mercenary type of job. However, world is more complicated than what we presume.

Let's hope for the best.
              The thing is, under the pretext of national security many things can be justified. This could be a political movement on behalf of the Indian Govt. to cement relationships with Myanmar, particularly as both China and India try to gain the upper hand in influence over Burma and it's lucrative natural resources. Scruples and values are the first things to go when ensuring economic prosperity. At the same time, yes, it is a bit of a far stretch to assume that Indian soldiers are actively hunting enemies of the Burmese junta, however, in time, co-operation and anti-terrorist training techniques between the two countries will occur, we must remember this picture is being replayed but with Chinese troops. Both countries are jockeying over Burma.
              "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                The thing is, under the pretext of national security many things can be justified. This could be a political movement on behalf of the Indian Govt. to cement relationships with Myanmar, particularly as both China and India try to gain the upper hand in influence over Burma and it's lucrative natural resources. Scruples and values are the first things to go when ensuring economic prosperity. At the same time, yes, it is a bit of a far stretch to assume that Indian soldiers are actively hunting enemies of the Burmese junta, however, in time, co-operation and anti-terrorist training techniques between the two countries will occur, we must remember this picture is being replayed but with Chinese troops. Both countries are jockeying over Burma.
                I am in total agreement. Burma indeed has a lot of desirables what India and China like country would want at any given time. Also, India which has a lot of cross border terrorism and internal terrorism problems of its own, won't actually mind some invaluable experience at Burma which is more or less very little threat. However, it worries me that more of India's actions might not go down well with China who have similar interests in the region. India needs to be very careful since the relations between the two though topsy turvey, are getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by payeng View Post
                  such information if true must be acted upon first rather the publishing on daily newspapers.
                  The only thing more valuable than acting is for the terrorists to think they have no safe haven anymore. Can follow it up with a small expedition ever so often, no rush

Should be good returns for little investment :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                    Positive development for India in its eastern region. Several guerrilla groups in India's NE region operate from Burma; from Burma's western regions where the Burmese Junta itself does not have much control. Win-win for both sides.
                    Yes IMO a diplomatic and strategic victory for India.

Nebula82.

Comment

Working...
                    X