PDA

View Full Version : Don't call me Shirley

Parihaka
29 Nov 10,, 04:45
Leslie Nielsen dead (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/leslie-nielsen-dead-20101129-18da3.html?from=smh_sb)
Hollywood actor Leslie Nielsen, who traded in his dramatic persona for inspired bumbling as the accident-prone detective Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun comedies, has died, aged 84.

The Canadian-born comic died from complications from pneumonia at a hospital near his Florida home at 5.34pm, surrounded by his wife, Barbaree, and friends, his agent John S. Kelly said in a statement.

"We are saddened by the passing of beloved actor Leslie Nielsen, probably best remembered as Lt. Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun series of pictures, but who enjoyed a more than 60-year career in motion pictures and television," said Kelly.

Neilsen's nephew, Doug Nielsen, told Canadian radio station CKNW the star had been ill for nearly a fortnight.
Not a bad chap, even if he was Canadian:whome:

Officer of Engineers
29 Nov 10,, 05:08
AIRPLANE was the 1st time I saw his comic genius ... my generation is passing ... feels melancholy about the whole thing.

Blue
29 Nov 10,, 05:57
RIP Leslie. Guy made me laugh many a time. I know of no one else that could play the straight man like he could. Stone faced while cracking some of the funniest stuff I ever heard.

Never knew he was Canadian..guess we all have something in the closet.:biggrin:

YellowFever
29 Nov 10,, 08:14
I'm not old as some of you :biggrin: but I can remember when the guy played strictly a bad guy in many a movies and TV serials.

It freaked me out that he was such an awesome comedian in Airplane and I'll always remember him that way but some of his best roles were as a villain.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nielson.

bigross86
29 Nov 10,, 08:28
RIP. Airplane was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen

tankie
29 Nov 10,, 16:56
Yup a funny guy , ta for the laughs RIP .

gunnut
30 Nov 10,, 08:52
RIP.

I remember watching Naked Gun at the theater. It was funny.

tim52
30 Nov 10,, 14:13
The thing that I always loved was his deadpan delivery of some of the most stupid lines ever written, lines that only a great comedic actor or a politician could ever hope to pull off without cracking a smile. RIP Leslie.

Albany Rifles
30 Nov 10,, 17:00
He was a great actor before he was "discovered". He played some great seriious as well as romantic leads before Airplane.

As a little kid I first remembered him from the Wide World of Disnet TV show on Sunday nights. I think I was about 6 years old when I saw this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swamp_Fox_(TV_series)

xinhui
30 Nov 10,, 18:28
RIP. most kids I know have no idea bout the movie "airplane", sad.

gunnut
30 Nov 10,, 19:35
RIP. most kids I know have no idea bout the movie "airplane", sad.

Airplane was hilarious. The airport security joke is more valid than ever!