X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican freshman outraged over congressional health care plan

Republican freshman outraged over congressional health care plan
    By Rachel Rose Hartman rachel Rose Hartman Tue Nov 16, 9:01 am ET

Andy Harris speaks on election night.Newly elected GOP Rep. Andy Harris showed up Monday to freshman orientation on Capitol Hill and discovered that his health care wouldn't kick in until February. He wasn't pleased.

"This is the only employer I've ever worked for where you don't get coverage the first day you are employed," the Maryland House member-elect stated during an orientation session Monday, as his spokeswoman recounted to Politico.

Harris is uniquely familiar with the health care industry: He works as an anesthesiologist.

He also asked whether he could purchase insurance from the government to cover the gap--a proposal that, as one Hill aide noted to Politico, sounds awfully similar to the public option he denounced on the campaign trail.

Harris' staff says he wasn't being hypocritical--and that indeed, the lawmaker was drawing attention to the inefficiency of a government-run health care program.

(Photo: AP/Steve Ruark)

Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reser
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Wait...what? I have never worked for an employer that gives me health care on the 1st day of job.

I suggest the honorable congressman to resign and work a real job.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Wait...what? I have never worked for an employer that gives me health care on the 1st day of job.

No kidding. My plan doesn't even allow me to put someone on the policy until they hit 90 days.
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I have, the US Army.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          I have, the US Army.
          You could also be ordered to die on the 1st day of job too...

Tell me that being a congressman is a high risk job, even for injuries.

All my insurance in the private sector didn't kick in until after the 3 month probationary period.

Comment

I think all of mine has been instant.

-dale

Comment

You could also be ordered to die on the 1st day of job too...

Tell me that being a congressman is a high risk job, even for injuries.

All my insurance in the private sector didn't kick in until after the 3 month probationary period.
              Nope, i had 4 months of training before i could do my job.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                Nope, i had 4 months of training before i could do my job.
                You have to admit, the hazard of your job was a lot higher than being a congressman. I bet your pay was not as good either.

Comment

Hasn't even debated a bill or voted yet and already he is in the "whats in it for me" entitlement mode. On another thread there is a "fix the budget" interactive. How much would we save if Congressmen got the same coverage as the rest of us?
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I see he fits in very well with the rest of the chuckleheads already.

Comment

You know...I've been paying for this Medicare thing for 15 years and I won't qualify to use it for another 25 or 30 years? I am outraged!!!

Comment

He also asked whether he could purchase insurance from the government to cover the gap
                        Uhh, you can extend your previous coverage moron- It's called COBRA. Pay the bill.

If this jackass worked as an anesthesiologist, he had health insurance. His employer was required to give him a COBRA notice when he quit, and his insurance provider was required to provide him with a Certificate of Creditable Coverage.

If he's not covered it's his own fault and he can quit his whining.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                        X