Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike ...

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike - KTXL

13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was told to take it down.

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.

"In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't." Cody had to take the flag off his bike and put it in his backpack, where he kept it all week.

Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week. And if it was an issue of safety, parents should have been contacted.

"No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger Alicea. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing." Roger says the family is not planning to take any legal action, but they do want to meet with school staff.

Cody says he wants to serve in the military some day, and is raising money for a trip to Washington, D.C. in the Spring.

After being contacted by FOX40 Friday morning, Denair's Superintendent says Cody will be allowed to keep the flag on his bike. He told FOX40 he and the school are patriotic, but their main priority is keeping students safe; the school will focus on the students who are causing uprisings. Riding a bike is still not allowed on school campus, but when Cody rides his bike to school he can now fly the flag.

A bunch of Spanish kids found the flag offensive.

A bunch of Spanish kids found the flag offensive?

Let them go to another country
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.
      Really? What's that thing on the flagstaff? Take it down. And cancel Hispanic/Mexican/whatever they call themselves heritage month. I find it offensive.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Really? What's that thing on the flagstaff? Take it down. And cancel Hispanic/Mexican/whatever they call themselves heritage month. I find it offensive.
        I do find all these "heritage" months very offensive, I don't care if you had an ancestor from Cuba, Spain, Mexico, Africa or an Indian that did something special.. YOU DON'T NEED A MONTH to celebrate their crap.. I've yet to see a "white guy heritage month" yet 99.99% of all the stuff that has been done in the USA has been done by your average American caucasian, be it from landing on the moon to defending the Alamo..

Comment

Get out my country!!!

Comment

Telling a kid to take an American flag off his bicycle because it offends some people? Either the offended people are illegal and/or do not know what is is to be an American and have pride in their country.

"Heritage" months need to be done away with. Another thing, from what I've seen around the country, diversity classes/training need to be done away with too. Diversity promotes separatism. America is a melting pot. Worry about your heritage on your own time (and dime).
            Last edited by McFire; 13 Nov 10,, 14:10.
            "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

Jeez, man, some people should not be allowed to use up my valuable oxygen...
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag.
                This is curious in that this peception is happening in the US.

In the UK, the flag got hijacked in the 70s by the far right so displaying the flag there has a more nuanced message than say the stars & stripes. If there's a load of skinheads in jackboots shouting then its clear otherwise not.

Now I'm not aware that the same thing happened with the stars & stripes, anyone care to clarify

I was in a bar once in the country and saw this huge US flag displayed in it, and started to feel nervous, given the Union Jack's connotation. My friends assured me that this was not the case with their flag.

I also recall seeing the flag everywhere, just after 9-11, almost every car on the roads had it, that had a very different, reassuring, country coming together effect. That remains my perception whenever i see the stars & stripes now.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Nov 10,, 16:29.

Comment

This is an example of punish the victim syndrome. If a bunch of kids have a problem with the American flag after staying in America, then they all need to go for counseling or better still, deport the entire lot that is offended by the flag.....
                  Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Just found out that this school is located in California why am I not surprised....
                    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                      A bunch of Spanish kids found the flag offensive?

Let them go to another country
                      Very true , but dont send them here .

Comment

The only thing I remember from heritage days in school was that I was getting fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          I also recall seeing the flag everywhere, just after 9-11, almost every car on the roads had it, that had a very different, reassuring, country coming together effect. That remains my perception whenever i see the stars & stripes now.
                          Dunno, round here we mostly found it ridiculous - US housing in my neighborhood sported a flag at every single entrance after 9/11. That feeling of ridicule remains.
                          Although it's not much different with our federal flag. It only gets hoisted by local schools when the law forces them to do it, otherwise they're mostly flying the city flag.

Comment

I find the display of Mexican flags around Cinco de Mayo to be very offensive. You don't see me complaining about it.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Are Mexican Flags at the Cinco de Mayo more offensive then Irish Flags at St. Patricks Day or German Flags during the Steuben Parade?

Comment

Working...
                              X