Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accents

speech accent archive: browse
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Interesting, but i did not find any audio buttons to hear what those accents sound like

Comment

You may need to download the Quicktime plugin.

The sound controls should be right above the sample paragraph.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Very good thx. The accent from my city is close, think she was a bit too conscious about it, heard it only at the end, the other indian ones are good.

Why no malyali one
        Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Nov 10,, 06:39.

Comment

What is "ewe?" Is that what Pari speaks?

Comment

The accents from belfast, kilkenny & glasgow sound very generic english, not much of the usual charm in them.

Comment

When I speak English, I speak with a very muted New York accent. Of course I can also exaggerate it. I've got an almost perfect redneck drawl, and I've managed to confuse British people with my British Accent. My Irish and Scottish accents are decent, but not perfect. I can speak with an Australian redneck drawl as well, but Kiwi is something I have a hard with, aside from a few words.

Welsh and South African are just impossible.
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

BR,

yea, yea...but can ya do brooklyn? :)
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The last time I talked to an American he complained about my heavy English accent...(I assure you that while I have most certainly an accent while speaking, there is no way it is an English one).

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                    The last time I talked to an American he complained about my heavy English accent...(I assure you that while I have most certainly an accent while speaking, there is no way it is an English one).

Ja ja ve hav vawys ov making you talk ,,,,, you betchya ,,,,, me ould kok sparra .och aye the noo , begorrah , joking apart , i have problems understanding some English accents
                    Last edited by tankie; 12 Nov 10,, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      BR,

yea, yea...but can ya do brooklyn? :)
                      You want regular Brooklyn, Jewish Brooklyn or Italian Brooklyn?
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Isn't the only difference the way they sprinkle hebrew/italian into the english? IE ya don't mess wit dis goyem, capische??
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The only two accents that I can pick up on are English and Italian - I was disappointed that some of the things I was looking for was muted, whether it was the nasal pronounciation often found in the Bahstahn (Boston) area, the distinct accent found in Minn-a-sota, the prounounced drawl in the Southeast, etc. I think Double Edge is on target - sounds like a lot of the folks consciously toned down their accents.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                            The only two accents that I can pick up on are English and Italian - I was disappointed that some of the things I was looking for was muted, whether it was the nasal pronounciation often found in the Bahstahn (Boston) area, the distinct accent found in Minn-a-sota, the prounounced drawl in the Southeast, etc. I think Double Edge is on target - sounds like a lot of the folks consciously toned down their accents.
                            I myself aways try to tone down my accent when speaking English (the succes though remains questionable) and only try to use thick German accent for humoric effect when appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              Isn't the only difference the way they sprinkle hebrew/italian into the english? IE ya don't mess wit dis goyem, capische??
                              The talking style is also completely different. To stereotype for a second:

Italian: "Wadda you lookin at?", "Fahgeddaboutit"
                              Jewish: "You vant I should get you a cup of vater?"

With the Italians it's a lot more flowing, with the Jews it absolutely reeks of old Europe, with bad grammar and "v" instead of "w".

Comment

Working...
                              X