CIS small arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIS small arms

SAR-21 Bullpup Assault Rifle: World's Best Combat Bullpup?
    by David Crane
    [email protected]
    The SAR-21, manufactured by ST Kinetics Land Systems (out of Singapore) and marketed by VT Kinetics in the U.S., is a roughly 2 1/2 year old, "state-of-the-art" bullpup 5.56mm assault rifle that is currently going head to head with the Israeli TAR-21(Tavor) bullpup rifle, and all other modern 5.56 assault rifles on the world market. Judging by my experience with this rifle at the range, the SAR-21 is going to give its competitors a... serious run for their money (more on that later).
    The rifle’s combined stock and receiver is comprised of an advanced polymer, and thus is fairly light. Since its bullpup configuration leaves the shooter’s face very close to the chamber, STKinetics has thoughtfully designed a protective ceramic plate into the stock, along with an overpressure bleed hole in the chamber, to protect the shooter’s face in case of catastrophic failure. While I appreciated the ergonomics of the ambidextrous non-reciprocating cocking/charging handle on top of the SAR-21's receiver (and under the optical sight), I don't particularly like top-situated cocking/charging handles, at all, on infantry rifles. This includes the HK G36/G36K/G36C's top-situated, reciprocating cocking handle. Top-situated cocking handles create an operational/tactical application obstacle, making it impossible to incorporate a true 1913 picatinny rail on top of the weapon's upper receiver. A left-side-situated non-reciprocating cocking handle is the way to go on any infantry rifle or machine gun. Lefties can make do by slightly tilting the weapon to the right and racking the left-side-situated cocking handle with their right hand. Anyway, just like the HK G36's top-situated, reciprocating cocking handle, the SAR-21's top-situated, non-reciprocating cocking handle swivels, making it truly ambidextrous, so righties and lefties can operate it with equal speed and efficiency.
    The SAR-21 also incorporates a gas regulator at the front of the rifle that can be adjusted for different loads, similar to what can be found on the FN FNC, although the design is different. Magazines are made out of a clear polymer, similar to the magazines for the HK G36 and Sig 550 series rifles. So far, the SAR-21 only comes in standard configuration, as far as we know. Hopefully, carbine and subcarbine variants will be developed in the not-too-distant future.
    I got to shoot the SAR-21 rather extensively awhile back during "Range Day" at TREXPO East 2001, right after the gun was first introduced to the American market at the two-day exhibition. The demo gun was provided by Class III Supply, and they were very generous with their ammunition, allowing people to pretty much shoot as many rounds as they wanted. I should say off the bat that I usually don’t like bullpups, but I really liked this one. In fact, this gun turned out to be my second favorite weapon at the shoot (My first favorite was the FN P90). I had an absolute blast running this gun.
    The optical sighting system on the SAR-21 worked really well, being very fast to engage, and recoil was very manageable. With proper stance(I, myself, use an SAS stance with both elbows tucked in close to my body), the gun stayed on target during full bursts, and the hit percentage was extremely high. I was able to keep all my rounds within about 6 to 10 inches at 25 yards on full auto, depending on the length of the string. The balance of this weapon is superb, being right above the shooting hand, and the weight is light, considering this is a full sized 5.56 rifle. Reliability was perfect while I was firing it, and I did not see even one malfunction of the SAR-21 the entire time I was there. One of the contributing factors for this was the excellent polymer magazine. I especially appreciated the see-through feature, which allowed me to monitor my ammo supply.
    The only other things I did not like about this rifle, besides the top-situated cocking/charging handle, were the location of the selector switch, and the type of switch it is. Located at the back of the stock--not a good place, by the way--it is of the push-button variety, and was awkward to operate, quickly. I would much prefer an ambidextrous M16-style sweep selector switch that can be engaged by either the thumb or index finger of the shooting hand. That solution would be far superior with regard to speed and natural ergonomics under combat conditions. If ST Kinetics/VT Kinetics makes this one change, the SAR-21 will be very hard to beat in the world market. One other suggestion I would make is that they come out with both carbine and subcarbine variants for use by special operators.
    The following information has been edited/updated (5/04/04):
    The SAR-21 is currently only available to law enforcement organizations and military units. If you'd like to inquire about or demo an SAR-21 for possible acquisition your organization or unit, you should now contact Vince DeNiro (American Defense Management, Inc.) at 330-518-7789, or via email at [email protected]. To the best of our knowledge, American Defense Management, Inc., run by Vince DeNiro, is now the primary U.S. distributor of the SAR-21 bullpup assault rifle.
    If you'd rather contact VT Kinetics directly, instead, you can contact Clarence Newby at 703-739-2610.

Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
    Overall length: 805 mm
    Barrel length: 508 mm
    Weight: 3.82 kg without magazine and accessories, 4.44 kg loaded with magazine and 30 rounds of ammunition
    Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
    Rate of fire: 450-650 rounds per minute
    Effective range: about 500 meters

----------

SAR-21 is replacing the locally made M-16S1 in the Singapore Defense Force.
    Attached Files
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Ultimax-100

caliber 5.56mm NATO
    weigth 4,9 kg w/o magazine, 6,8 kg with loaded 100 rds mag and sling
    Length 1024 mm
    Length of barrel 508 mm OR 330 mm ('para' version)
    feeding drum magazine 100 rounds OR box magazine 30 rounds
    rate of fire 400-600 rounds per minute

The Ultimax 100 light machine gun had been developed by ST Kinetics/Chartered Industries of Singapore company and is in service with Singapore Armed Forces and in some other countries.

The Ultimax is a very lightweight and mobile support weapon. It is a gas operated, rotating bolt locked, full automatic only magazine fed firearm, that fires from open bolt. The gas system has 3 positions gas regulator. The overall action design allows the bolt carrier/bolt group to travel all the way back without being stuck into the rear of the receiver. This feature helps to reduce felt recoil and to improve accuracy.
    Original Ultimax 100 (early model) had fixed, heavy, air cooled barrel; Current version, Ultimax Mk.3, has quick detachable barrels, available in two lenghts: standard of 508 mm (20 inches) and short of 330 mm (13 inches). The buttstock is also quick detachable, and due to light weight and relatively low recoil, Ultimax can be fired off hands, with buttstock removed, thus making it suitable for close combat and urban operations. However, the accuracy without use of buttstock is marginal, to say the best. The Ultimax can be fed from proprietary, drum type magazine for 100 rounds each, or from STANAG-compatible (M16-type) box magazines for 20 or 30 rounds. The 100 rounds magazines are great for sustained fire, but can be reloaded only with the help of the magazine loading tools, due to powerful springs.

Singapore soldiers
    Philippine Scout Ranger fighting the ASG
    Croat fighter
    Indonesian Marines in Aceh
    Indonesian Marines in Aceh
    Attached Files
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

caliber .50BMG (12,7x99)
      V0 n/a
      weigth 30kg on tripod
      Length 1670 mm
      Length of barrel 1141 mm
      feeding two belts 100 rounds (one from each side of the gun)
      rate of fire 400-600

This heavy MG was deigned by ST Kinetics of Singapore to replace old M2HB in service with Singapore military. The CIS .50 features quick changeable barrel with fixed headspace, dual feed system (left or right, selectable) for quick change of type ammunition fired, semi-auto and full auto modes of fire. Currently in service in Singapore and offered for export.
      --------

It has been picked up by Indonesia and has been deployed on APCs and land rovers in Aceh during the 2003 offensive.
      Attached Files

Comment

I just don't like dual-feeding guns;
        The SAR-21 is indeed an amazing gun, but I still think the AUG is better.
        The Ultimax 100 is pretty good, but nothing surpases the M249.

Comment

Singapore also made/makes the FN-MAG, HP-35 and M-16A1 (called M-16S1).

SAR-80

Caliber: 5.56x45 mm (.223 remington)
          Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
          Overall length: 970 mm (738 mm with butt folded)
          Barrel length: 459 mm
          Weigth: 3.7 kg empty
          Rate of fire: 600 rounds per minute
          Magazine capacity: 20, 30 rounds

During 1970s Singapore Army used US-designed M16A1 assault rifles. In 1976, a company called CIS (Charter Industries of Singapore , now ST Kinetics), began to develop its own assult rifle with aim to supply these rifles for singapore military and for foreign countries. To save the time CIS invited some engineers from British company Sterling Armament, who used to manufacture US-designed Armalite AR-18 assult rifle, so new Singapore rifle heavily borrowed from original AR-18 design. First prototypes came out in 1978 and the final design was approved by Singapore military in 1984 under the name of SAR-80. This rifle was used to some extent by Singapore Army and also was exported to some ****ries, including Croatia.

SAR-80 is a gas operated, selective fire weapon of simple construction. It uses short stroke gas piston that pushes the massive bolt carrier with rotating bolt. The bolt carrier rides on two guide rods. Each rod has a recoil spring around it, gas piston rod has its own return spring. The receiver is made from steel stampings. Pistol grip, handguards and buttstock are made from plastic. SAR-80 uses M16-style magazines. Gas drive has gas regulator that can be cut off completely to safely lauch rifle grenades from the muzzle.

-------
          The SAR-80 was not well liked compared to the M-16S1. It was more reliable but less user friendly and heavier. 20,000 were bought by Singapore.

Nepal, Slovenia and Croatia have picked up a couple of these rifles as have a few others.

SAR-80
          Singapore soldiers with M-16S1
          Attached Files

Comment

I just don't like dual-feeding guns;
            It's barrel changes faster and does not need to readjust headspace on the gun.

The SAR-21 is indeed an amazing gun, but I still think the AUG is better.
            Their nieghbor to the north is now the builder of the AUG. Everyone I have talked to that has used the SAR-21 likes it (most have used the M-16 before hand) with the only drawback being the fact it is a bullpup. It works well, is accurate and so forth.

The Ultimax 100 is pretty good, but nothing surpases the M249.
            Well it was tested alongside the Minimi in the Philippines and placed into live combat operations with famed units like the Scout Rangers and Marines. The Ultimax-100 was preffered over the Minimi due to its light wieght (loaded it wieghs less then the Minimi does empty) and reliability. And these are soldiers in combat. The only reason why the Minimi got the now canceled contract was the same reason the contract has been more or less canceled, kick backs.

I already posted the USMC tests were it came up as the favorite by the s*******. The only problem is currently is lacks the fancy/sexy rail systems.

CIS is no doubt the most capable small arms maker in SE Asia. And Singapore no doubt had the most capable defense industry as a whole in SE Asia.

They make/made...
            CIS-50
            SAR-21
            SR-88
            SAR-80
            Ultimax-100
            CIA-40SLWAGL
            CIS-40AGL
            CIS-40GL

They also lisence built...
            FN-MAG
            M-16S1
            HP-35
            Attached Files

Comment

I had fired Ultimax with M249 alongside.

Ultimax beat the M249 in test.
              1. Loaded 100-round magazine can be covered thus prevent sand and dust from entering. But loaded M249 lead to sand and dust from entering thru belt and feed mechansim. It fail to fire.
              2. Ultimax can fire from all incline angle with only one man. But M249's ammunition belt tends to flip and stuck at the feed mechansim.
              3. Ultimax can reload their drum magazine on move. But M249 need to drop down and take times to reload the box/belt.
              3. Low recoil make the Ultimax so easy to handle and control in automatic firing or fire from one arm.

Comment

People, I may just change my opinion. If the Ultimax really is better because educated people say so, then so be it. I don't know jack about this stuff (yet), so I have no basis to stand my opinion.

Comment

I have fired the Ultimax on several occasions during service but always with the 30-round mag. It is very light and comfortable to go running about the jungle with. And if fired in short bursts of about 3-rounds it is very accurate.

I have never come close to the 100-round drum. When affixed to the weapon, it will add a whopping 2 kg to the weapon, so I don't know if it'll still be "light and comfortable".

Furthermore, the drums are bulky. I still have no idea how the drum ammo will be carried by the SAW gunner. Is it a special bandolier? Another bothersome thing about the drum system: you have to still carry the empty drums with you after you've fired off the ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chino
                    I have fired the Ultimax on several occasions during service but always with the 30-round mag. It is very light and comfortable to go running about the jungle with. And if fired in short bursts of about 3-rounds it is very accurate.

I have never come close to the 100-round drum. When affixed to the weapon, it will add a whopping 2 kg to the weapon, so I don't know if it'll still be "light and comfortable".

Furthermore, the drums are bulky. I still have no idea how the drum ammo will be carried by the SAW gunner. Is it a special bandolier? Another bothersome thing about the drum system: you have to still carry the empty drums with you after you've fired off the ammo.
                    It is unfair to compare SAW to personel rifle.

It is fair if just to compare drum fed or belt fed SAW.
                    1. Plastic drum fed not require links thus give you lesser weight to carry.
                    2. It is real one man SAW for all real conditions that I had mentioned before. Belt fed has limitation to fire on move and elevated by one man.
                    3. Drum give you the flexibilty to reload ammunitions. I have no problem loading it by hand. Heard they have pocket size portable loader.
                    4. You should fire longer burst if possible 100 rounds full burst. Than you will be able to tell how easy to control your spread.
                    5. Another advantage for drum fed SAW is less parts (without feeding mechansim) that means more reliable and less parts to clean/maintance.

Comment

Ultimax 100 has its place. I like it when I use it in my SAfincos training! lightweight, roburst! but the Plastic drum is somthing of a hassle .

ANy drums, BEta C mag , RPK RUssina and CHinese drums, U100 rd drum! all boils to tedious maintance in the field. if dirt and stuff gets into the drum! good luck in cleaning the mag! or you get jammomatic. I have numourous issue with the Beta CMag in the AZ desert! spring tension can be another issue ! having loaded 100 rds the spring tension will be great on the drum and in certain ways detelirating the operational reliability as ammo is stored. SPring will be spring. As for the U100 drum !We probably can handload to 40 -50 rds and the spring is so darn tight!

I think the U100 will be a good saw if the feeding system is modified! I know weight is a big thing in operation !but for its inteded purpose of a SAW! I am willing to take the extra on the M249!

I have personally handle and own some belt fed and SAW type weapon( M249, RPD, HK 21e, HK23e GPMG, M60, M60E3, RPK, M16 with betmags, MG42, MG34and also the U100! ) they all have their advantage and disaadvantage! I guess it boils down to the right weapon for the right job!

INfact another issue on the U100 is the low rate of fire as a SAW! MOst like the HK23e, M249, the Negev have ROF of 800 rpm and higher ! thus giving good supressive fire! tI guess this issue is arguable! but most SAW is goin the higher ROF over the lower ! remeber the good old days of the browning BAR! 400 to 450 rpm! I can squeez the trigger faster than that!
                      If it boils down to preference, than the M249 would be hard to beat!

DaveC
                      Last edited by davechng; 12 Sep 05,, 16:33.

Comment

I think a slightly slower ROF (like 600 rpm) would be best for a SAW. It throws plenty of lead at the enemy, while not consuming as much ammo, and reducing recoil.
                        Check out my own design: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=5371

Comment

Working...
                        X