PDA

View Full Version : New Iranian FAV and 7.62 Gatling

xinhui
10 Oct 10,, 06:03
The Gatling is named Akhgar

gunnut
10 Oct 10,, 23:10
I see a few things wrong with the design of that vehicle. The wheel base is too short and the center of mass is too high. I can't see but a wide track may help with high center of mass issue.

xinhui
11 Oct 10,, 03:50
Look at the poor welding job.... no way this buggie was born in production line.

Monash
11 Oct 10,, 09:24
Doesn't look like it can store a useful load of .308 (or anything else for that matter).

Aryajet
12 Oct 10,, 17:30
I see a few things wrong with the design of that vehicle. The wheel base is too short and the center of mass is too high. I can't see but a wide track may help with high center of mass issue.

There are plenty of things wrong with the design.:biggrin:

I checked Iranian news sources and they claim this will fire 5000 7.62 rounds per minute. But they don't say where would they store the magazines.

2500 round Mag. weighs about 220 lbs, will that done buggy be able to carry 3 soldiers, the weight of the gun itself and another 220 lbs on top of those? Also 2500 rounds is only good for 30 seconds, and then what?
Just imagine 5000 blazing hot casing raining down on driver and navigator every minute, it seems they will have no other choice than leaving the buggy before the trigger is pulled.

My other question is, what is the mission profile of this gun + setup? What threat is it exactly designed to combat? 7.62 against an APC? Humvee class troop carrier? or may be a low flying Warthog. :rolleyes:

Then the fuel capacity, range and the speed of the vehicle comes to mind.

I'm not trying to look down on Iranian defense industry, this funny looking gun & setup just does not make any sense what so ever. May be it is intended to be shown off during military parades which happen quite often in streets of Tehran.

Aryajet
12 Oct 10,, 17:33
Look at the poor welding job.... no way this buggie was born in production line.

I think that vehicle was intended to mimic this:

http://www.polarisdistribution.com/images/Header4.jpg

or may be this:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100805142930/guns/images/thumb/f/fd/JiansheQuadMinigun.jpg/1222px-JiansheQuadMinigun.jpg

Stitch
12 Oct 10,, 18:04
I think that vehicle was intended to mimic this:

http://www.polarisdistribution.com/images/Header4.jpg

or may be this:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100805142930/guns/images/thumb/f/fd/JiansheQuadMinigun.jpg/1222px-JiansheQuadMinigun.jpg

That last (Chinese?) one looks a little ridiculous; what is that? A Chinese (?) version of an M61? On a go-cart? Seems like the recoil would a.) deafen the driver, and b.) maybe flip the thing over!

Aryajet
12 Oct 10,, 18:17
Yeah!
But Ruby Red metallic paint job sparkles though. Don't you think? ;)

omon
12 Oct 10,, 18:52
lol, look at the exposed gears, right by a driver shoulder, got to be safe, not to mention parts of ripped shoulder might just jam the gun,

Stitch
12 Oct 10,, 18:57
What's with the chain around the gun? To keep people from stealing it?

lol, look at the exposed gears, right by a driver shoulder, got to be safe, not to mention parts of ripped shoulder might just jam the gun,

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to be driving the vehicle when they fire that thing!

Dreadnought
12 Oct 10,, 19:13
Yeah!
But Ruby Red metallic paint job sparkles though. Don't you think? ;)

Uh huh, and it no doubt will sparkle in a gun sight as well.
I cant imagine any real use for that "thing" except maybe crowd control when they screw the people in elections again.:biggrin:

xinhui
13 Oct 10,, 00:00
explain this! where are the magic bullets

There are plenty of things wrong with the design.

I checked Iranian news sources and they claim this will fire 5000 7.62 rounds per minute. But they don't say where would they store the magazines.

2500 round Mag. weighs about 220 lbs, will that done buggy be able to carry 3 soldiers, the weight of the gun itself and another 220 lbs on top of those? Also 2500 rounds is only good for 30 seconds, and then what?
Just imagine 5000 blazing hot casing raining down on driver and navigator every minute, it seems they will have no other choice than leaving the buggy before the trigger is pulled.

Dreadnought
13 Oct 10,, 00:11
A funnier thing in all the above is the mention of a 7.62 round. Remember, Iran boasts the "Ambassador of Death" new submarines,rockets, drones, seaplanes and all of these other ways they will defeat anyone. Dont you think with this great weapons manufacturing bunch that they could atleast have invented a newer gun and rounds that arent a comparitive NATO gun and round?:rolleyes:

Aryajet
13 Oct 10,, 03:46
Uh huh, and it no doubt will sparkle in a gun sight as well.
I cant imagine any real use for that "thing" except maybe crowd control when they screw the people in elections again.:biggrin:

Dread,
I know you posted a smiley at the end of your post, but I think your assessment about crowd control is right on. This weapon looks more intended to make furure protetors to think twice, other wise I don't see any viable tactical use for it.

Aryajet
13 Oct 10,, 03:56
explain this! where are the magic bullets

Jesse has them.:biggrin:

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/wrestlerjesse.jpg

Dreadnought
13 Oct 10,, 04:02
Nahh, I dont think they would be that stupid. There would be a worldwide condemnation and no doubt riots if they used one of those on protestors.

Stitch
13 Oct 10,, 04:09

Yeah, but only Arnie can really fire the thing!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/d5/T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg/600px-T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg

BTW, trivia: this was actually the exact same gun (prop) used in both movies, but the stocks were changed for T2 from an M60-style stock (Jesse's) to a "chainsaw" type carry handle (Arnie's; notice how both actors are holding the gun differently).

xinhui
13 Oct 10,, 05:26

Two different US governors, same chain gun, wow, just wow. :gunut:

Skywatcher
13 Oct 10,, 07:33
Nahh, I dont think they would be that stupid. There would be a worldwide condemnation and no doubt riots if they used one of those on protestors.

What if the protestors manage to turn one of those things on the regime? Imagine the number a 7.62 Gatling would do on a Basiji base.

Dreadnought
13 Oct 10,, 14:34
I'd hate to even think what would happen. No human being no matter how bad would deserve such a thing.

Chogy
14 Oct 10,, 15:06
Maybe the idea is a rapidly-deployable light AA weapon. Driven as quickly as the frame would allow to an active location such as the refueling points during the Iraq invasion, the buggy stops, and perhaps lateral stabilizers are extended. A camo-net is tossed over most of it. Anything thin-skinned (including hovering chinooks, blackhawks, even the Apache) would be fair game. The drivers assist the gunner.

But overall, I've never quite understood why these armed vehicles have seen iterations from so many countries. Maybe there is a romance associated with their use in WW2 Africa - The famous SAS picture:

http://www.eliteukforces.info/images/gallery/sas/sas-north-africa.jpg

gunnut
21 Oct 10,, 01:06
I'm not trying to look down on Iranian defense industry, this funny looking gun & setup just does not make any sense what so ever. May be it is intended to be shown off during military parades which happen quite often in streets of Tehran.

Now that you mention it, it does look like a vehicle fitted out for "internal security" work. The short wheelbase and narrow track are ideal for navigating the tight streets of a major urban area. Actually, I think a 7.62mm GPMG would work just fine for a small vehicle like this.

Monash
23 Oct 10,, 15:25

But overall, I've never quite understood why these armed vehicles have seen iterations from so many countries. Maybe there is a romance associated with their use in WW2 Africa - The famous SAS picture

I believe the reason is the same one that applied back during WWII when they were first adopted. For long range recognisance behind enemy lines you wanted a tough, mechanically reliable vehicle that can carry a small team of men over long distances preferably with a low visibility silhouette. Light weight is also good as you can't call for a tow truck if you get bogged. Because they were working "alone" i.e. unsupported they also needed good all round vision and the ability to have rapid access and egress from the vehicle i.e. for fast for hit and run attacks and in the case of ambush. You then added as much firepower as you can without slowing you down to much so that you stood some chance in a fire fight if engaged and had a degree of fire support available if you were working away from the vehicle.

All of the above pretty much rules out any kind of armoured vehicle or large truck.