Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian Government Doubles International Humanitarian Aid Contribution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Government Doubles International Humanitarian Aid Contribution.

Recently former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced at the UN that Australia would double its contribution to the Global Humanitarian effort. Being an Australian I see no problem with this apart from the reality that there are a reported 100000 Australians living on the streets, an estimated 25000 of those being children aged under 16 years of age.
    I honestly hate the idea of a government that is more concerned with appearing relevant to the global community and places the international kudos gained from such an offering above the needs of it's people.
    I know that I must sound naive but I feel strongly that such charity should always start at home.. Our hospitals are a disgrace, with waiting times averaging 6 hours in emergency wards across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and other major metropolitan areas across the country.. Worst still in the country regions.. Roads fare even worse..
    Our energy providers are sub standard along with other public utilities too numerous to list.
    As a tax payer I believe that it is my basic right to have a hospital system that works, to have roads that I don't have to pay to use, effective and reliable public transport, electricity thats there at the flick of a switch and above all to know that there is a government in power that has the interests of its people foremost in mind.. That when they say there will be "no Australians living in poverty" by a certain time they actually mean it.
    I don't believe that we as a nation can afford Kevin Rudd's grand act of generosity..
    I know Australians living on the streets can't.

Well...living on the streets vs. living without, oh, food.

Comment

Samuel77,

When joining WAB it is expected that new members introduce themselves in the 'Member Introductions' forum. Indeed, it is considered impolite to post opinions before doing so.

Given that we have been visited by a few spambots recently I suggest members refrain from responding until we find out if our new mermber is legit.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
      X