Anyone gonna watch the Ryder Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone gonna watch the Ryder Cup?

Just realised we don't talk golf much, and the only truly watchable golf starts tomorrow! Europe vs America, it's like a steelcage match with guns. The golf course looks amazing and to top it off both the teams look pretty good too:

There's more rookies than anytime I can remember, 5 for the Americans, 6 for Europe - I've a lot of respect for golfers like Watson, Johnson and Kushar, they certainly won't be worried at the the idea of going into the lion's den, and they're all very accomplished golfers even at this stage in their careers. Add in Furyk, Woods, Cink and Mickelson and it's a very solid blend of old and new that will fight for every point, and no doubt win quite a few.
    For Europe, it's hard to say - they have a couple of genuine leaders (Miguel Angel the joker, Padraig the rock) but it's a team of rookies and second-timers, so it's not as clear how they'll perform. I think it's far to say Sergio and Darren Clarke are gonna be missed, but the Molinari brothers could be the new Ballesteros/Olazabal tormenting the Americans in couples. McIlroy, Hanson, McDowell and Kaymer are all seriously good golfers and if they're on form then Sunday is going to be a lot a fun.

So here's to transcontinental friendship, solidarity, and rivalry. Oh and here's to lots of blue on the board from day one!
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Damn Euro Trash!

We will whip your butt!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

I rather stare at a white dot on a blue wall for hours and hours.

Which is pretty much the same thing.
      Last edited by YellowFever; 30 Sep 10,, 15:37.

Comment

I'll watch it if it's demolition golf.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Damn Euro Trash!

We will whip your butt!
          Ahahahaha I love that word, cause it never gets used over here! When it gets said to a European who's never heard it they're like 'what is Eurotrash'? In any case, we look forward to charming the pants off your women and winning while balancing a ciggie in one hand and a beer in the other. We'll balance the club with our feet. We're very productive, us Europeans.

The 2010 Ryder Cup was officially opened as the flags were raised, the teams introduced and the national anthems sung at the Opening Ceremony alongside the 18th green of The Twenty Ten Course.
          The distinguished guests included José Manuel Barroso, the President of the European Commission, the Rt Hon Carwyn Jones AM, First Minister of Wales, Jim Remy, President of the PGA of America, and Sir Terry Matthews, owner of The Celtic Manor Resort whose dream brought The Ryder Cup to Wales for the first time.

“The Ryder Cup matches have come to symbolise the finest elements of match-play golf, where expertise and skill, courage and integrity, passion and dignity are all displayed in equal measures,” said President Barroso.

“From Samuel Ryder’s original concept all those years ago, the 38th match, will I know, perfectly reflect his enthusiasm for keen competition, fairness, and respect…..respect not only for your opponent but the game of golf itself.

"The European flag contains 12 stars and so does Colin Montgomerie's team."

Having sung the previous evening in the Welcome to Wales concert, Katherine Jenkins again gave a stunning performance before the ceremony began.

Sky Sports Di Stewart presented the ceremony during which the two teams were introduced by their captains – although US Captain Corey Pavin did temporarily miss out Stewart Cink much to the crowds amusement.

“These past two years have been an exciting time for my family and me,” said Pavin. “My wife, Lisa, and I have considered this a tremendous privilege to prepare for the Ryder Cup and to showcase our team to the world. The honour of serving as the 26th Captain of a United States Ryder Cup Team has been the most rewarding time of my career.

“I am pleased to have our team welcomed by European Captain Colin Montgomerie and his Team, their families, wives and partners, and Officials.

“Colin, thank you for your hospitality. You have been a mainstay of the Ryder Cup for the better part of your career. We both began this journey two years ago, and now it is upon us. We look forward to seeing you and your Team on the first tee tomorrow.”

“This is without question, the proudest moment of my golfing career,” Montgomerie responded. “As an eight time player myself I can tell you there is nothing to compare with standing on the first tee with the incredible support of you the fans and an atmosphere that is quite simply indescribable.”

The Welsh National Anthem - Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau/ The Land of My Fathers – was performed for you by Only Men Aloud and during which the Welsh National Guard raised the Flag of Wales which incorporates the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr – King of Gwynedd – along with the Tudor colours of green and white.

And the anticipation increased as the two Captains revealed their opening pairings for tomorrow’s fourballs:-

Match 1: Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson v Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer
          Match 2: Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar v Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell
          Match 3: Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods v Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher
          Match 4: Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton v Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington

Let the games begin (in 12 hours)!
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
            I rather stare at a white dot on a blue wall for hours and hours.

Which is pretty much the same thing.
            I tend to agree, it's no fun unless you're playing, but the whole boorish nationalism thing gives it a bit of watchable spice.
            - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
              I tend to agree, it's no fun unless you're playing, but the whole boorish nationalism thing gives it a bit of watchable spice.
              Nah, not really.

You're right, though. Swatting a little ball with a funny looking stick is something I enjoy (if enough alcohol is involved) doing but watching is like a slow painful death.

I would watch it if those dastardly Euros would print the names of women Tiger cheated with on those flags in the holes, and yell, "Hey, Tiger, go for the hole!"

the Euros would gain a new level of respect from me if they do that.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                Nah, not really.

You're right, though. Swatting a little ball with a funny looking stick is something I enjoy (if enough alcohol is involved) doing but watching is like a slow painful death.

I would watch it if those dastardly Euros would print the names of women Tiger cheated with on those flags in the holes, and yell, "Hey, Tiger, go for the hole!"

the Euros would gain a new level of respect from me if they do that.
                Ah most Europeans feel sorry for him, and his wife, it's never nice to see a marriage fall apart and despite what some of the more trashy European papers might make one think, Europeans tend to be very supportive of privacy and intimacy in people's personal lives. It's a great idea though.

On the golf itself, it's been pretty exciting (as exciting as golf can be;)). Europe had a cracking start before the rain yesterday, but once it stopped the Americans hit back and took a 2.5-1.5 lead into today. There were 6 games earlier, which the US also won narrowly 3.5-2.5...it looked like Europe were going to win the last two games and tie it up, but Stewart Cink had an fantastic putt on 17 that won the full point for the US. So it was 6-4 going into the evening sessions, but it's a blue tide right now, Europe lead in all 6 evening games - that includes Luke Donald and Lee Westwood, who are crushing Woods and Steve Stricker, as well as the Irish boys McDowell and McIlroy, who are 3 up against Mahan and Zach Johnson. The play will be stopping soon, so the key thing for Europe is to keep the momentum going and the crowd cheering, it's a pity that it's over for the night (giving the US a breather), because the Europeans are playing fantastic golf.
                - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Wowee, 5.5 out of 6 points, Tiger's worst matchplay defeat ever, Europe just blew the US away today, and set the crowd roaring and the flags waving. 3 point lead heading into the first ever Ryder Cup Monday, gonna be fun to watch. The Americans are great individual golfers, so it's doable (especially as they only need to tie to keep the cup) but the boys in blue done very well today.

The eyes of a continent will be watching tomorrow, let's hope it's a great one!
                  Last edited by crooks; 04 Oct 10,, 00:15.
                  - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Well, congratulations....you bastidges!!!

See you in 2012!!!!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

The nerve of those Euros actually kicking our asses in golf. :maddest:

I think we should invade!

Comment

That was bloody tense! You didn't get your arses kicked, that coulda gone either way very easily. Fowler's comeback, Stricker beating Westwood, Tiger on serious form, Mickelson's clinical dispatching, even Jeff Overton's win over Fisher, there was a lot of great American golf today. I'm thrilled for McDowell, it always seems when Europe need to get stuff done they turn to the Irish:. So America can go back proud, you guys came very, very close in hostile territory. It's great to see the cup come home, and Monty's grimace/smile/tears and Miguel Angel Jimenez lighting up right after the win! Seve Ballesteros too, much infuriating for Americans, much loved by all who don the blue, that pep talk by phone must have made a huge difference.

There was complete hush in my work from about 2.40 till Graeme got the putt with everyone nonchalantly walking by the radio, and I'd imagine it was like that pretty much everywhere else on the continent! What a great tournament, what great fans, what a great day to be European, and equally so American. So same as the start, here's to friendship and solidarity, rivalry and family,......and don't expect us to go easy in 2012;)!
                        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
                        X