PDA

View Full Version : Moth Miller Invasion

RustyBattleship
14 Sep 10,, 05:20
HELP! Our house has become inundated with small moths (commonly called Moth Millers). We have zapped scores of them (and their larvae) with tennis racket shaped bug zappers (puts out 1500 volts with just two D size batteries).

But their numbers are increasing. Most of them are in the kitchen but some fly in front of the TV screen in the living room and some are here in our backroom between me and the monitor.

I've thought of using Moth Balls (Camphor) but not sure if we should place any in the kitchen cupboards that contain cereals, cake mixes, flour, etc. (though all are tightly sealed).

Need an Moth Irradicator expert to give me some advice (I'm a structural engineer, not a chemist or biologist).

YellowFever
14 Sep 10,, 05:55
Rusty, I searched for and found an instructional video for you!

Follow these steps carefully!

bLX1GNzF6hU

RustyBattleship
14 Sep 10,, 17:21
Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to the bug zapper for now.

Ytlas
14 Sep 10,, 23:03
What about "Bug Bombs?" Home Depot has them

highsea
15 Sep 10,, 02:55
Moths are hard to kill with chemicals. You can get moth traps at Ace Hardware.

Cedar chunks in the cupboards are supposed to be as good as mothballs and non-toxic, but I've never tried it.

A light bulb over a pail of soapy water- moth crashes into bulb and falls into water. Same thing with a candle and a pie tin of water.

RustyBattleship
15 Sep 10,, 07:20
Moths are hard to kill with chemicals. You can get moth traps at Ace Hardware.

Cedar chunks in the cupboards are supposed to be as good as mothballs and non-toxic, but I've never tried it.

A light bulb over a pail of soapy water- moth crashes into bulb and falls into water. Same thing with a candle and a pie tin of water.

I have read that also as a moth trap. I've seen some in our dog's water dish. They don't know how to swim. Soapy water covers them with a slick coating so they don't climb out (if they get that far).

I'm thinking of doing that with the right hand side of our sink. That's where the garbage disposal is.

Debbie
15 Sep 10,, 20:12
I'd be more than happy to come in with a flame thrower. :)

USSWisconsin
15 Sep 10,, 21:34
The extreme moth killer - model W-88 was disconinued, but rumor has it that their are still some left in in the stockpile. :eek:

Seriously, soapy water will drown them, it reduces the surface tension of the water and allows it to flow into their breathing holes, pyrithrins an insecticide based on chrysanthamums is deady to moths and relatively non-toxic to mammals. ;)

I've had problems with them before too, my ex liked to shop at ethnic grocery stores and they seemed to hatch from the dry goods she bought. They were around for a few years after she left, and I finally got rid of them by finding the boxes and bags they were nesting in and throwing them away, along with soapy water and pyrithrins spray where appropriate.

RustyBattleship
16 Sep 10,, 06:27
The extreme moth killer - model W-88 was disconinued, but rumor has it that their are still some left in in the stockpile. :eek:

Seriously, soapy water will drown them, it reduces the surface tension of the water and allows it to flow into their breathing holes, pyrithrins an insecticide based on chrysanthamums is deady to moths and relatively non-toxic to mammals. ;)

I've had problems with them before too, my ex liked to shop at ethnic grocery stores and they seemed to hatch from the dry goods she bought. They were around for a few years after she left, and I finally got rid of them by finding the boxes and bags they were nesting in and throwing them away, along with soapy water and pyrithrins spray where appropriate.

Yeah, whenever we make something that works perfectly some Smotherly Love group gets it banned. Chlordane was perfect for sand fleas and termites. But since some idiots did not read the instructions and sprayed too close to their tomato plants, strawberries, etc. it is now banned.

Tonight I put water in both bowls of the kitchen sink with some soap. I have a small flashlight by it to attract them (don't want to take a chance of a 120 AC night light falling in the water). But their numbers are starting to reduce as I caught at least 4 couples while mating (what a way to ruin a date).

RustyBattleship
16 Sep 10,, 06:30

You can come by anytime you like. But leave the Zippo in Boulder, Colorado so they can kill the bed bugs.

sappersgt
16 Sep 10,, 07:09

Dale splits some wood for her and now all she can think about is fire.:rolleyes:;):biggrin:

sappersgt
16 Sep 10,, 07:16

Got it!:tongue: