PDA

View Full Version : Obama lays out the welcome mat for illegals

highsea
10 Sep 10,, 19:33
Someone should tell the President that the executive branch doesn't write the laws in the US.

U.S. shifts approach to deporting illegal immigrants

By Marcus Stern, ProPublica
The Obama administration is changing the federal immigration enforcement strategy in ways that reduce the threat of deportation for millions of illegal immigrants, even as states such as Arizona, Colorado, Virginia, Ohio and Texas are pushing to accelerate deportations.

<snip>

Among the recent changes:

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director John Morton ordered agency officials on Aug. 20 to begin dismissing deportation cases against people who haven't committed serious crimes and have credible immigration applications pending.

A proposed directive from Morton posted on ICE's website for public comment last month would generally prohibit police from using misdemeanor traffic stops to send people to ICE. Traffic stops have led to increased deportations in recent years, according to Jessica Vaughan, director of policy studies at the Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank whose research supports tighter enforcement.

The directive said exceptions would be made in certain cases, such as when immigrants have serious criminal records.

ICE officers have been told to "exercise discretion" when deciding whether to detain "long-time lawful permanent residents, juveniles, the immediate family members of U.S. citizens, veterans, members of the armed forces and their families, and others with illnesses or special circumstances," Daniel Ragsdale, ICE executive associate director of management, testified July 1 in the administration's lawsuit to block Arizona's controversial immigration law. The law requires police officers to determine the immigration status of suspects stopped for another offense if there was a "reasonable suspicion" they are in the USA illegally. A U.S. district judge has held up the provision pending review.

A draft memo from ICE's sister agency, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, to Morton discussed ways the administration could adjust regulations so certain groups, such as college students and the spouses of military personnel, could legalize their status or at least avoid deportation if Congress doesn't pass comprehensive immigration reform. USCIS rules on applications for visas, work permits and citizenship. USCIS spokesman Christopher Bentley said the memo was intended to stimulate brainstorming on how to legalize immigrants if new laws aren't passed.

full article:
U.S. shifts approach to deporting illegal immigrants - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-09-10-immigration10_ST_N.htm)

The laws are the laws. Enforce them or get rid of them. :mad:

art
10 Sep 10,, 19:59
I see nothing wrong with this at all, it will save the Gov. more money in court costs.

dalem
10 Sep 10,, 20:01
I see nothing wrong with this at all, it will save the Gov. more money in court costs.

So what laws do you think are worthy of enforcement?

-dale

gunnut
10 Sep 10,, 20:03

-dale

The ones that I agree with...:biggrin:

bigross86
10 Sep 10,, 21:23
If Obama is telling his government agencies not to enforce laws, and they do, can you then impeach Obama?

Roosveltrepub
10 Sep 10,, 21:43
So, since Republicans defeated reform a few years ago you wish to deport illegals if they have sons or daughters born here and are serving in Afganistan or the spouses of Americans serving in Afganistan? I suppose you are in favor of increasing the size of the court system to do that?

Roosveltrepub
10 Sep 10,, 21:45

-dale

Is this a case of the court backlog dictating some priorities since the goverment is not being given the resources to handle these cases in anything like a timely manner?

YellowFever
10 Sep 10,, 22:15
Is this a case of the court backlog dictating some priorities since the goverment is not being given the resources to handle these cases in anything like a timely manner?

I agree.

Hey, let's cut welfare checks in half and that 30 billion dollars that California wastes a year and give it to the court system so they can expedite the deporting.

highsea
13 Sep 10,, 17:12
So, since Republicans defeated reform a few years ago you wish to deport illegals if they have sons or daughters born here and are serving in Afganistan or the spouses of Americans serving in Afganistan? I suppose you are in favor of increasing the size of the court system to do that?Absurd strawman. Reform has nothing to do with enforcing existing law.

Illegals don't serve in the military- if they are non-citizens, they are issued VISA's to serve, and it can speed up their citizenship appplications. I have no problem with that, it's in acordance with the law. Good for them, good for us.

And I have no problem with ICE using their resources to target the criminal element. However, once they have someone in their custody through state enforcement, they can't just cut them loose. The executive doesn't make the laws, the legislative does. The executive's job is to enforce the laws, period.

Traffic misdemeanors include DUI's, driving without licenses, reckless driving, hit and run and leaving the scene, etc. We will just release these people to do it again? No penalty?

Dreadnought
13 Sep 10,, 17:46
Someone should tell the President that the executive branch doesn't write the laws in the US.

The laws are the laws. Enforce them or get rid of them. :mad:

*Agreed, His job is to make policy consistant with the peoples wishes not law, but they figure the working class people that have no time to pay any attention to this will just let it pass on by.:rolleyes:

dalem
13 Sep 10,, 17:54

What?

-dale

Dreadnought
13 Sep 10,, 18:00

I see alot wrong with this. All he is trying to do is garner voting support for his failing policy and failing Congress. Good luck with that one.

bfng3569
13 Sep 10,, 18:01
If Obama is telling his government agencies not to enforce laws, and they do, can you then impeach Obama?

if it were Bush, they sure as hell would try.

Dreadnought
14 Sep 10,, 02:56
Ah the famous Bushisms again. The democratic ships going down lets pull out the "Bush" liferafts again.

Funny thing though many items they criticised Bush for in campaigning, they use right now in this present day and take credit for it. Ironic huh?

Dreadnought
14 Sep 10,, 03:05
So, since Republicans defeated reform a few years ago you wish to deport illegals if they have sons or daughters born here and are serving in Afganistan or the spouses of Americans serving in Afganistan? I suppose you are in favor of increasing the size of the court system to do that?

Not even a strawman, a lame man at best. Please do tell how many illegals are serving our US Armed Forces? Do you know how many illegals are born here a year? Now how many illegals are bleeding the systems dry to the point they have to cut Medicare and several other programs to find the money to support their health costs. I bet our Senior citizens are just tickled to death that though many fought for this country, lived very trying times and yet have to scrape just to take care of themselves. Pathetic to say the least!

Enough with the freebies and political correctness, deport those that should be deported, Lead by example, or dont lead at all!

Roosveltrepub
14 Sep 10,, 20:58
Not even a strawman, a lame man at best. Please do tell how many illegals are serving our US Armed Forces? Do you know how many illegals are born here a year? Now how many illegals are bleeding the systems dry to the point they have to cut Medicare and several other programs to find the money to support their health costs. I bet our Senior citizens are just tickled to death that though many fought for this country, lived very trying times and yet have to scrape just to take care of themselves. Pathetic to say the least!

Enough with the freebies and political correctness, deport those that should be deported, Lead by example, or dont lead at all! Actually, zero illegals are born here and the policy specifical states families and wives of those in the active military so it is not a straw man. The straw man is the idea Medicare which illegals cannot get but do pay the tax on is endangered by the illegals paying medicare taxes with their fake ID and never collecting it.

omon
14 Sep 10,, 21:01
Actually, zero illegals are born here and the policy specifical states families and wives of those in the active military so it is not a straw man. The straw man is the idea Medicare which illegals cannot get but do pay the tax on is endangered by the illegals paying medicare taxes with their fake ID and never collecting it.

illegals paying medicare tax???
lol, good one, man.
would you explain how that happens??

Roosveltrepub
14 Sep 10,, 22:24
illegals paying medicare tax???
lol, good one, man.
would you explain how that happens??

It's true for Social Security taxes as well. The "good one" is you didn't know it and yet have strong opinions on how they are sucking the system dry no doubt

Dreadnought
14 Sep 10,, 22:46
Actually, zero illegals are born here and the policy specifical states families and wives of those in the active military so it is not a straw man. The straw man is the idea Medicare which illegals cannot get but do pay the tax on is endangered by the illegals paying medicare taxes with their fake ID and never collecting it.

Really? And just how many illegals are on business's books? How many are payed in cash both on a daily and weekly basis under the table. How much of this cash is mailed or wired back home. How many illegals file a tax return? Medicare they do not get. But if one walked into an ER what do you think will happen? If one was pregnant with a child what would happen? They will get treated and most cannot pay so where does that money come from to cover them. The same places the governemnt always draws from to cover the bill. We, the tax payers, Medicare and SS. How many illegals pay school taxes yet send their kids to school? Who pays that bill? You guessed it, the taxpayers. When they get put into jail, who pays that bill for the court costs, lawyers, their food, cable tv etc? We the taxpayers.

So stop acting as though the taxpayers are'nt getting the shaft when it is us that foots the bill. Yeah, thats just what we need, more illegals and less tax payers.

Brilliant strategy. I guess thats why many lawyers dont run high dollar businesses. Because like this Congress and Administration, they have no clue.

Ask any working man or woman if they ran their business like this Congress pisses away money on political "niceiness" how long they would actually be in business.

Like trusting a bank manger or a figurative "CEO" of the US, They completely suck at managing the taxpayers money and piss it away in the name of political correctness and dole it out. Yet the supply end of the equasion (that would be us) suffers.

Wonder why people are so pissed off with this Administration?

Gun Grape
15 Sep 10,, 00:41
All this, yet Obama is deporting illegals faster than ever.

The change in focus is mentioned in the article.

A snip posted here. Its 3 pages long.

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/25/AR2010072501790.html)

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

he Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office.

The effort is part of President Obama's larger project "to make our national laws actually work," as he put it in a speech this month at American University. Partly designed to entice Republicans to support comprehensive immigration reform, the mission is proving difficult and politically perilous.

Obama is drawing flak from those who contend the administration is weak on border security and from those who are disappointed he has not done more to fulfill his campaign promise to help the country's estimated 11 million illegal residents. Trying to thread a needle, the president contends enforcement -- including the deployment of fresh troops to the Mexico border -- is a necessary but insufficient solution.

A June 30 memorandum from ICE director John Morton instructed officers to focus their "principal attention" on felons and repeat lawbreakers. The policy, influenced by a series of sometimes-heated White House meetings, also targets repeat border crossers and declares that parents caring for children or the infirm should be detained only in unusual cases.

"We're trying to put our money where our mouth is," Morton said in an interview, describing the goal as a "rational" immigration policy. "You've got to have aggressive enforcement against criminal offenders. You have to have a secure border. You have to have some integrity in the system."

Morton said the 400,000 people expected to be deported this year -- either physically removed or allowed to leave on their own power -- represent the maximum the overburdened processing, detention and immigration court system can handle.

The Obama administration has been moving away from using work-site raids to target employers. Just 765 undocumented workers have been arrested at their jobs this fiscal year, compared with 5,100 in 2008, according to Department of Homeland Security figures. Instead, officers have increased employer audits, studying the employee documentation of 2,875 companies suspected of hiring illegal workers and assessing $6.4 million in fines.

On the ground, a program known as Secure Communities uses the fingerprints of people in custody for other reasons to identify deportable immigrants. Morton predicts it will "overhaul the face of immigration." The administration has expanded the system to 437 jails and prisons from 14 and aims to extend it to "every law enforcement jurisdiction" by 2013.

The Secure Communities project has identified 240,000 illegal immigrants convicted of crimes, according to DHS figures. Of those, about 30,000 have been deported, including 8,600 convicted of what the agency calls "the most egregious offenses."

Dred,

Many illegals, those working with fake documents, are paying taxes. Just like any legal worker. They also don't file tax returns. Saving you and I from having to fork out EIC checks.

You don't think all those illegals working at the Tyson plant a few years ago were getting paid in cash do you? Hell, they were all union members.

The ones that work under the table don't of course. But thats not something that only illegals do to get out of paying taxes.

There is a ton of work being done "Under the table". Its one of the arguments for the Fair tax.

highsea
15 Sep 10,, 00:47
...Many illegals, those working with fake documents, are paying taxes. Just like any legal worker. They also don't file tax returns. Saving you and I from having to fork out EIC checks.

There is a ton of work being done "Under the table". Its one of the arguments for the Fair tax.I'm all for the fair tax.

Your point about EIC checks is valid. But on the other hand they aren't paying income taxes either. They usually claim 15 on their W-4's to eliminate the witholding. So they pay SSI/FICA, a few percent. That's usually it.

Dreadnought
15 Sep 10,, 03:25
All this, yet Obama is deporting illegals faster than ever.

The change in focus is mentioned in the article.

A snip posted here. Its 3 pages long.

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/25/AR2010072501790.html)

Dred,

Many illegals, those working with fake documents, are paying taxes. Just like any legal worker. They also don't file tax returns. Saving you and I from having to fork out EIC checks.

You don't think all those illegals working at the Tyson plant a few years ago were getting paid in cash do you? Hell, they were all union members.

The ones that work under the table don't of course. But thats not something that only illegals do to get out of paying taxes.

There is a ton of work being done "Under the table". Its one of the arguments for the Fair tax.

*I see your point Grape, and yes I was aware they were union employees but I wasnt considering the EIC checks as you mention. I dont wish for anybody to get it wrong, I have no problem with any race of people, I just want them to pay their fare share and contribute like everyone else that call this country home. And yes I would also agree that others that have called this place home and dont pay a problem too.

LMA
18 Sep 10,, 00:41
. The executive doesn't make the laws, the legislative does. The executive's job is to enforce the laws, period.
EXACTLY highsea!