Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who woulda thunk??? Now where is code Pink and Cindy Sheehan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who woulda thunk??? Now where is code Pink and Cindy Sheehan?

Challenge to CIA renditions dismissed
    Appeals court rejects suit against Boeing subsidiary that flew suspects

Advertisement | ad info
    updated 1 hour 16 minutes ago

* Print
    * Font:
    * +
    * -

SAN FRANCISCO — Handing a significant victory to the Obama administration, a sharply divided federal appeals court on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit challenging Boeing Co.'s role in flying terrorism suspects to secret prisons around the world in the CIA's "extraordinary rendition" program.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals cited national security risks in its 6-5 ruling.

The Bush administration was widely criticized for its practice of extraordinary rendition — whereby the CIA transfers suspects overseas for interrogation. Human rights advocates said renditions were the agency's way to outsource torture of prisoners to countries where it is permitted practice.

More U.S. news
    1. Challenge to CIA renditions dismissed

Updated 76 minutes ago Handing a victory to the Obama administration, a sharply divided federal appeals court dismisses a lawsuit involving the CIA's secret program to imprison suspects abroad. Full story

The New York Times noted that the Obama administration has been pressing broad counterterrorism policies after taking over from the Bush team. The Times cited the placing of a U.S. citizen on a targeted-killing list without trial, the blocking of Afghan detainees' attempts to challenge indefinite imprisonment and the continuing the CIA rendition program.

The lawsuit was filed by five men suspected of terrorism who were arrested shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks and say they were flown to secret prisons where they were tortured.

The men sued Boeing subsidiary Jeppesen Dataplan in 2007, alleging that the program — called "torture flights" by critics — amounted to illegal "forced disappearances." They allege that the San Jose-based subsidiary conspired with the CIA to operate the program.

A trial court judge quickly dismissed the lawsuit after the Bush administration took over defense of the case from Chicago-based Boeing an invoked the "state secrets privilege," demanding a halt to the litigation over concern that top secret intelligence would be divulged.

Challenge to CIA renditions dismissed - U.S. news - Security - msnbc.com
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

I like how Obama and the Dems roundly criticized Bush's handling of terror suspects, but a court ruling in favor of that practice is now a victory for them now that they're in power. O MSNBC, how you guard against partisanship!

-dale

Comment

I thought Obama was going to "restore habeus corpus" rights. At least that was one of his campaign promises when he visited Portland.

Jeppesen provides flight planning, weather services, sectionals, etc to pilots. It's not like they had anything to do with designing the CIA rendition program...
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Amazing isint it? And its not the first time he and his cohorts bashed Bush's practices and then adopted them themselves. Nothing more then lip service for votes.;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

well, conservatives should LIKE the way his administration has matured on these national security topics.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            well, conservatives should LIKE the way his administration has matured on these national security topics.
            Actually I do like that about Obama's administration. He played the world's media like a fiddle. He says one thing and does another, and there's nothing the media could do. He expanded the use of drone attacks, kept Gitmo open, spied on foreign and domestic sources, and probably a host of other clandestine operations that we have no idea of. The world still thinks he's gonna end the war on terror. Brilliant!!!...I'd say.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Well... it's nice that he chose realism over partisanship, but that doesn't change the fact that he used those topics to score cheap points during the election and then reversed himself once he got into office.

(And of course, not all conservatives agreed with Bush on all national security topics; on those they're probably not thrilled that Obama has decided to become Bush's third term. Warrantless wiretapping, fer'instance.)
              "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I kind of doubt that he could find anyone credible (within the nat'l security establishment) that agreed with any of his campaign promises.
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

which is one reason why i didn't vote for him in 08. but i'm glad, as you should be, that things turned out differently.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Well, I'm glad he didn't pull out of Iraq in 90 days, but honored the SOFA instead.

As to Afghanistan, I just don't see that one working out-I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X