PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Maintenance : WAB Server Upgrade - May 5th 2005

Chris
03 May 05,, 13:59
The amount of traffic World Affairs Board receives has risen rapidly over the past couple of months.

In order to continue to allow the website to run at optimal performance, we will be taking the WAB server offline for around 10 - 20 minutes sometime between 0800 - 1100 GMT / UTC on Wednesday, May 5th, 2005 in order to upgrade the server's RAM to 2048MB (2GB).

Time Zone Conversion: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=4&month=05&year=2005&hour=08&min=00&sec=0&p1=0

Thank you for your understanding :)

Parihaka
03 May 05,, 23:55
thanks chris

Confed999
04 May 05,, 01:41
Thanks tons Chris. :)

Chris
04 May 05,, 22:57
This work was performed by our technicians early this morning. Therefore, I am unsticking this thread now. I hope everyone sees enhanced performance when using the forum.

Thanks! :)

TopHatter
04 May 05,, 23:11
This work was performed by our technicians early this morning. Therefore, I am unsticking this thread now. I hope everyone sees enhanced performance when using the forum.

Thanks! :)

Looks good to me! Thanks for the extra juice :biggrin:

Although, I am still in the dark about exactly who would provide all this expensive bandwidth for free - and no advertisements - just so a pack of animals like us can go on and on about all this stuff :redface:

Avenger
04 May 05,, 23:50

Although, I am still in the dark about exactly who would provide all this expensive bandwidth for free - and no advertisements - just so a pack of animals like us can go on and on about all this stuff :redface:

" (My typical substantive reply when I agree entirely.)

Confed999
06 May 05,, 01:34
Thanks again Chris. :)

Jay
06 May 05,, 18:46
I can see it improved the performance a lot, from this side of the pond.

TopHatter
09 May 05,, 17:57

I just realized something and thought I should point it out so people won't think I'm a (complete) moron.
The WAB does have advertisements, but they are so small and discrete, I never even took note of them until a few seconds ago.
So much for attention to detail.... :redface:

Anyway, we don't have screaming ads or pop-ups, so thank you to whoever our fairy godfather is :cool:

Chris
10 May 05,, 22:13
The web hosting for World Affairs Board is provided by Rochen Ltd. The Google advertisements you see at the top of the page help to fund the web hosting, vBulletin license costs, domain names etc. The rest of the bill is picked up by Rochen. Although the advertisements don't cover the entire site bill, they certainly help. We decided very early on that the advertisements would not be full blown banners and would be as discreet as possible for our members. You aren't going to start seeing things like massive popups or flashy irritating banners at WAB.

:)

- Chris

TopHatter
11 May 05,, 02:55
The web hosting for World Affairs Board is provided by Rochen Ltd. The Google advertisements you see at the top of the page help to fund the web hosting, vBulletin license costs, domain names etc. The rest of the bill is picked up by Rochen. Although the advertisements don't cover the entire site bill, they certainly help. We decided very early on that the advertisements would not be full blown banners and would be as discreet as possible for our members. You aren't going to start seeing things like massive popups or flashy irritating banners at WAB.

:)

- Chris

Thanks Chris :redface:

My overriding question though is WHY??
Why is some Good Samaritan shelling out his hard-earned cash for our debating pleasure?

Parihaka
11 May 05,, 03:00
Thanks Chris :redface:

My overriding question though is WHY??
Why is some Good Samaritan shelling out his hard-earned cash for our debating pleasure?
It's a right wing conspiracy of course ;)

TopHatter
11 May 05,, 03:09
It's a right wing conspiracy of course ;)

Tophatter - Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Parihaka
11 May 05,, 03:17
Wait a minute, Chris is from the UK, so maybe it's a left wing conspiracy :eek:

TopHatter
11 May 05,, 03:29
Wait a minute, Chris is from the UK, so maybe it's a left wing conspiracy :eek:

Urmmmmm....You know, I was thinking the same thing.... :eek:

Well, finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh, eh comrades, eh? :redface:

Chris
11 May 05,, 21:05
Shhh.... we aren't meant to tell anyone about the conspiracy stuff... :D

But in all seriousness, Gio and I have known each other for a long-time now and worked together on the original World Affairs Board, which didn't really take off.

Gio and Iron Duke then started another forum (Global Relations) and we all ended up joining forces and re-branding it under the World Affairs Board name.

I will be in Chicago on business early next month and am then heading off to California for a few days, where I will meet up with Gio.

- Chris