Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess we are having an Iftar dinner at the WH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess we are having an Iftar dinner at the WH.

This is straight from the Prez. So here is my question for our Muslim members esp.

Is it not an affront to Islam for a non-muslim to host an Iftar dinner?

If so, is Barry a qualified host?

Not dredging up a muslim/christian debate or tin hat stuff, just sayin??

Statement by the President on the Occasion of Ramadan | The White House

On behalf of the American people, Michelle and I want to extend our best wishes to Muslims in America and around the world. Ramadan Kareem.

Ramadan is a time when Muslims around the world reflect upon the wisdom and guidance that comes with faith, and the responsibility that human beings have to one another, and to God. This is a time when families gather, friends host iftars, and meals are shared. But Ramadan is also a time of intense devotion and reflection – a time when Muslims fast during the day and pray during the night; when Muslims provide support to others to advance opportunity and prosperity for people everywhere. For all of us must remember that the world we want to build – and the changes that we want to make – must begin in our own hearts, and our own communities.

These rituals remind us of the principles that we hold in common, and Islam’s role in advancing justice, progress, tolerance, and the dignity of all human beings. Ramadan is a celebration of a faith known for great diversity and racial equality. And here in the United States, Ramadan is a reminder that Islam has always been part of America and that American Muslims have made extraordinary contributions to our country. And today, I want to extend my best wishes to the 1.5 billion Muslims around the world – and your families and friends – as you welcome the beginning of Ramadan.

I look forward to hosting an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan here at the White House later this week, and wish you a blessed month.

May God’s peace be upon you.

Iftar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States

Iftar meals are often held at mosques, and Islamic communities, to which Muslim families are invited. Iftars are also commonly held at Muslim households as well. The United States Department of State holds an annual iftar dinner for community leaders from US society and faith groups as well as foreign policy officials. The first President to attend an iftar was Thomas Jefferson.
    Not quite the same as hosting an Iftar at the White House, though
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

mmmm suspicious...I wonder if the staff remembered all the details from the 8 Bush had at the White House.
      Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Here's the question:

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
        This is straight from the Prez. So here is my question for our Muslim members esp.

Is it not an affront to Islam for a non-muslim to host an Iftar dinner?

Not dredging up a muslim/christian debate or tin hat stuff, just sayin??
        Here's your answer:

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
        mmmm suspicious...I wonder if the staff remembered all the details from the 8 Bush had at the White House.
        Listen, Roosie, as a normal rule I appreciate what you have to say because you can learn a lot from people with opposing opinions, but this was just plain immature and childish.

Snipe asked a simple question. Is it offensive to Islam or not. He also said he did not want to get into a religious fight. You decided to answer sarcastically about the previous Administration doing 8 of them, which could be considered an answer to the question, but IMO, the way you went about it was all wrong.

You claim about many members here that they turn everything into an Obama bash. And yet here, you end up doing the same thing, turning even the simplest question into a Bush bash. This is leading me to wonder, are you actually here for honest debate? Do you actually come here to read other people's opinions, learn new things, talk to interesting people and lay back for a bit, or are you here as a puppet, nothing more than a parrot of the liberal point of view, able to spew with wonderful ability and memory everything the conservatives and the previous Administration have done wrong, and conjuring up perceived slights and insults against a man that should be open to criticism, yet every time someone tries, the race card is played?

Roosie, I'd really like to know, because until now, I read your posts and actually tried to understand where you come from, what your point of view is, and most importantly, I didn't disregard them due to your previous posts I've disagreed with. If I'm talking to a parrot, however, I won't waste the time reading your posts. If I want to hear nonsense repeated over and over again, I'll go play with my nieces and nephew. I'll get the same result, and I daresay they are much cuter than you'll ever be, at least in my opinion.

Many thanks,
        Ben
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

It wasn't a Bush bash. White House iftar dinners are matter of fact and it took me 13 seconds and google to learn that yet here we have a post asking if Obama has done something wrong and another talking about how in the past they were state dept dinners only. You are right it was a snarky post but really pretty mild compared to the continual mocking responses I have to filter through to find the actual discussions. Thanks for pointing it out I'd hate to become what I disdain.
          Last edited by Roosveltrepub; 14 Aug 10,, 15:48.
          ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Only if he respected the fasting as well ,otherwise is like ordering Italian for diner..
            J'ai en marre.

Comment

I'm still stuck on Obama's idea of a religious mentor being Rev Wright.

Comment

Oh please... everyone knows Bush was a qualified host... But Obama... hmmmm... :))

And bigross, lighten up man, don't see how that was bashing Bush in anyway.. Was funny, just seeing how many questions rise up when Obama does anything, even stuff which the previous guy has been doing for so long aswell... and now, easy there, this is not a Bush bash.. I don't dislike Bush, infact I miss the guy, he made me laugh everytime he gave a speech and was the only reason i flicked on CNN.. He brought the good guys to power in Afghanistan, goofed up in Iraq though.. i sort of liked having Saddam around even though he was a tin pot dictator.. but yehh i dun got many reasons to hate Bushh but I still didn't see anythin roosvel said as Bush bashing..
                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

However, if correct, it is said this is the first time the pres himself issued the statement. Before it has always been the press dept written by some joe schmo.

So, 13 second google boy(possibly the fastest googler East of the Missippi), can you dig up if that is factual?;)

Comment

Took me about that amount of time - use "bush iftar" as your query.
                    Here are the results - bush iftar - Google Search
                    It was started by Clinton according to Bush Iftar Causing Rift Among Muslims, not Bush.

Comment

So it seems last year some muslims were not too happy about it because they weren't invited. Wonder who Mr. Outreach will invite this year?

White House Iftar, Muslim Leaders Absent - IslamOnline.net - News
                      CAIRO — US President Barack Obama hosted a White House iftar to celebrate the holy month of Ramadan, but while he used the event to praise US Muslims’ contributions to the society, the absence of community leaders was sorely noted, the Washington Times reported on Wednesday, September 2.
                      "Together, we have a responsibility to foster engagement grounded in mutual interest and mutual respect," Obama told the gathering at the interfaith iftar held in the State Dining Room on Tuesday.

"That is central to the new beginning that I've sought between the United States and Muslims around the world, and that is a commitment that we can renew once again during this holy season."

In his remarks welcoming his guests, who joined Cabinet secretaries, lawmakers, ambassadors and representatives of the US Muslim society, Obama paid tribute to Islam as "a great religion”

White House iftar dinners marking the holy fasting month are nothing new. During his eight years in office, former President George W. Bush held a yearly iftar.

But Obama said that by extending the presidential tradition, he hopes pushing forward his outreach to the Muslim world and showcasing cultural understanding.

“Islam as we know is part of America,” he said.

"Tonight's Iftar is a ritual that is being carried out this Ramadan at kitchen tables and mosques in all 50 states.”

Ramadan is the holiest month in Islamic calendar.

In Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

Most dedicate their time during the holy month to become closer to Allah through self-restraint, good deeds and prayer.

The United States is home to from 6-7 million Muslims.

Absent Muslims

Obama used the White House Ramadan iftar to honor and showcase American Muslims’ contributions to the nation's culture.

"On this occasion, we celebrate the holy month of Ramadan and we also celebrate how much Muslims have enriched America and its culture in ways both large and small,” he said.

Obama added that “the American Muslim community is one of extraordinary dynamism and diversity.”

But while the words of praise flowed, absence of Muslim community leaders was sorely noted during the event.

Leaders from the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation's largest grassroots American Muslim civil rights and advocacy group, did not attend the Ramadan iftar for not receiving invitations.

CAIR is not alone Other Muslim organizations were also not invited to the White House iftar.

Surprising, while Muslim leaders were absent, Israel’s ambassador in Washington and a group of Jewish rabbis were among the guests.

Muslim leaders warned that not inviting them signals a continuation of the policies of former president George W. Bush, who used to shun many Muslim groups.

They lamented that while Obama has repeatedly pledged engaging with US Muslims and the wider Muslim world, his vows remain yet unfulfilled.

He has not so far met with the Muslim leaders to hear from them and address the minority’s concerns.

“We fear that this marks a repetition of George Bush’s policies of disengagement with our community,” Nihad Awad, Executive Director of CAIR, told Aljazeera news channel.

“If the same approach towards out community persisted, I am afraid there will be no hope for change.”

Comment

No one even mentioned this during Bush's tenure. It just isn't worth discussing. Now, lets discuss how we make up a budget shortfall that's greater than non discretionary non defense spending without either cutting Social Security or raising taxes. Also, how come the so called deficit hawks are calling for rolling back the savings on Medicare which will blow out a trillion dollars over twenty years? Obamacare lowered the deficit and the so called deficit hawks are running on a platform to undo the savings not the expenses
                        ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Obamacare lowered the deficit
                          The hell it does.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                            The hell it does.

-dale
                            Did you not see the trustees report on Medicare?
                            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Have you not seen Paul Ryan's breakdowns of all the double accounting and other B.S. that is used to get the projected pricetage under 1+ trillion dollars?

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X