Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harlem man survives being shot 21 times by NYPD

Harlem man survives being shot 21 times by NYPD - Yahoo! News
    Yes, apparently a person can be shot 21 times and live to tell the tale — not that it's the sort of achievement that anyone is going to run out to emulate. Over the weekend, a Harlem man survived what some are calling a record number of bullet wounds and is now recovering at a New York City hospital.
    Early Sunday, a fight broke out at a party in Harlem that spilled into the street. According to the police officers who arrived at the scene, Angel Alvarez was seen fatally shooting Luis Soto. When Alvarez turned his weapon on the officers, a fierce firefight broke out. More than 50 bullets were fired, almost all of them by the police. At least 21 of those bullets pierced Alvarez's body.
    Luckily for Alvarez — whose criminal record includes at least eight prior arrests — none of the bullets hit his brain, heart or major arteries. His family members say that even though his arms, legs and torso were riddled with ammunition, Alvarez is "doing all right" and talking. It's believed he'll survive. A forensics expert told the New York Daily News' Simone Weichselbaum and Virginia Breen that Alvarez is probably the new holder of a somewhat dubious record.
    "I would say more than 20 gunshot wounds is a record," Dr. Vincent DiMaio, a forensic pathologist who specializes in gunshot wounds, told the paper. "Of course, the real issue is where you get shot. One bullet can kill you, but believe it or not, a body can survive a lot of bullet wounds."
    Meanwhile, some locals who witnessed the gunfight that left six people, including two cops, wounded are disputing the NYPD's version of events, saying that the officers — some of them in plainclothes — never identified themselves as law enforcement.
    "Never once did you hear 'Freeze,'" Shariff Spencer told the New York Times' Trymaine Lee and Colin Moynihan. "Never once did you hear 'Stop.' Never once did you hear 'NYPD.'"
    Through a spokesman, the NYPD has insisted that the use of force was justified, saying that Alvarez fired on the officers. It's been reported that the incident began with Alvarez and Soto arguing over a woman.

NYPD needs more range time.

Comment

No Kiddin!!

Comment

by Gun Grape
        NYPD needs more range time.
        by7thsfsniper
        No Kiddin!!

Maybe on the bright side you could say at least 40% of the rounds hit some part of the target. Hey, maybe more when we find out who shot the other three people.
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Do I detect undocumented aliens here? Not that I know anything about this situation, but, more and more, I read sad, tragic 'true crime' stories where all the names involved are Hispanic. I'm sure not going to automatically suspect legally naturalized immigrants who have won their place by introspection, hard work and willing adaptation to national standards. I don't even have the heart to say that all undocumenteds are suspicious, but crime is more possible, it seems, among people who treat a country like their own personal YMCA. Even those tenants have to get out after a certain time, and immediately upon being found to have been involved in illegal activity.

Comment

Seems to look like one of the worst failed suicide attempts on record

Comment

WOW
              Bullet that killed Luis Soto in Harlem fired from NYPD gun, not man he fought: medical examiner
              The bullet that killed a 21-year-old Bronx man in Sunday's wild Harlem melee was fired by a police weapon - not the assailant he was brawling with, authorities said.

Luis Soto, who was shot five times in the Lenox Ave. pandemonium, died when one of the bullets ripped through his left collarbone, heart, lung, kidney and a key artery, the medical examiner said.

Police said that bullet, which was recovered from Soto's body, had markings consistent with an NYPD-issued semiautomatic 9-mm. handgun.

The only civilian weapon at the scene, a .38-caliber revolver that cops say belonged to Soto, had different bullets.

The revelation upped the stakes of the investigation into the chaotic 3 a.m. shootout, in which four cops fired 46 bullets and hit at least six people, including two fellow officers and three bystanders.

A police official said it was impossible to determine which officer fired the fatal shot. All four cops were put on desk duty.

No one has been charged with a crime.

"There were so many people involved, so many bullets fired," said one law enforcement source.

The shooting was sparked by a fistfight between Soto and Angel Alvarez, 23, of Harlem, witnesses said.

Both had records. Alvarez had two prior arrests, including one for gun possession and trying to run down a cop with a car, for which he served two years. Soto had been arrested eight times, including for burglary.

NYPD officials initially said Alvarez killed Soto with the revolver, before shooting at four cops who returned fire.

Yesterday, cops said the revolver was in Soto's waistband but Alvarez took it from him and shot at a uniformed officer with it.

Officer Douglas Brightman returned fire twice, hitting a parked car and one of his own plainclothes colleagues, Officer Michael Tedeschi - whose life was saved by his body armor.

A second cop, Alfredo Vargas, 28, was grazed in the hand. He didn't fire any shots.

Three other cops opened fire at Alvarez, who was hit 21 times but lived. Soto apparently was caught in the crossfire and died.

Ballistics tests showed the five-shot revolver - bought at a gun shop in Columbus, Ga., in 2007 - had four rounds and all were fired. It is not clear if they hit anyone.

Several witnesses said police officers - both uniformed and plainclothed - converged on the two battling men and opened fire without warning.

"The cops started firing on Angel for no reason," witness Jaffar Toomes said.

Toomes said Soto had the gun, not Alvarez, but said neither man fired it.

"They were arguing. They were scuffling. The kid from the Bronx pulled out a gun," Toomes said. "Angel saw it. They started scuffling for it. . . .The cops started to focus their attention on Angel."

A law enforcement source said at least two witnesses - including one of the three injured bystanders - said they heard an officer say "Police! Freeze!"

Alvarez's lawyer John Carney said that in a brief visit to his bedside, Alvarez denied firing the gun.

"I asked him if Mr. Soto had a gun; he indicated yes. I asked him to tell me what happened; he made a motion with his hands to form a gun, and put it toward his groin and waist area, as if to indicate that Soto had a gun in that area," Carney said.

Soto's family hired a lawyer, David Godosky, who called for an independent autopsy and denied that Soto had a gun.

"Right now, the parents are grieving. They want to know what happened and who is responsible. That's what any parent would want in this circumstance," he said.

Outside Soto's Bronx apartment building, his friends built a huge shrine, with dozens of votive candles.

"They took my grandson. It's unjustified," mourned Myrna Soto.

Comment

This is getting better and better.

Comment

At least his wife can save money on a colander.

Comment

"Luckily for Alvarez — whose criminal record includes at least eight prior arrests — none of the bullets hit his brain",

His one saving grace...............he didn't have a brain

Comment

I read about this on calguns.net. The NYPD uses Sig P226 DAO and some other gun....both 9mm. At the request of the department, the DAO trigger pull is set at 12 lb. That might have something to do with rounds flying all over the place and not hit anywhere near to the POA.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

(Almost) surefire way to win a Darwin Award: Aim a revolver with 4 rounds at 4 police officer's armed with 9mm semi-automatics.
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

reminds me the passing of Boris The Bullet Dodger
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55Zf...eature=related
                          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

"Boris the Blade? More like Boris the sneaky f**king Russian."

Great movie.
                            "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

A failure of the 9mm to kill its intended target and an alleged coverup by NYPD's finest. Welcome to the Big Apple. Pick up your body armor at the border. Anyway I hope these cops do not hunt. It would not be safe to go into the woods with those guys around.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X