PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Skin

dalem
06 Aug 10,, 18:53
Okay, ANOTHER forum I go to on a daily basis switches to some gorram blue background and seems to have no alternate.

I hate blue.

How do I try different skins - I can't find the controls.

-dale

antimony
06 Aug 10,, 22:19
I too hate this new look. The older one was much more comforting:frown:

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 22:48
We've migrated to a new version of software where the old skins couldn't be transferred across. Normal service will resume as soon as possible :)

667medic
06 Aug 10,, 23:01
Please restore the old colors :(

RustyBattleship
07 Aug 10,, 05:09
I think I agree with all of the above. But besides the color, please increase the font size to at least what the old forum was. I'm having a very hard time reading this.

citanon
07 Aug 10,, 05:32
I think I agree with all of the above. But besides the color, please increase the font size to at least what the old forum was. I'm having a very hard time reading this.

Rusty, if you use Firefox or IE, just use ctrl+'=" to increase size. Use ctrl+'-' to decrease size. It's not perfect but it definitely makes the forum easier to read.

Julie
08 Aug 10,, 08:21
Too bright and print is too small, and we're stuck with it? No skin choices?

texasjohn
08 Aug 10,, 16:08
The thread titles are tiny also, and not black. Hard to read..

S2
08 Aug 10,, 17:27
Totally sucks, man.

Albany Rifles
08 Aug 10,, 19:23
The Dude is righteous on this subject.

Julie
08 Aug 10,, 22:46
Totally sucks, man.Correct. This entire thing needs a medic and an enema. Also, Adam needs to take a hand-writing class. Very unprofessional.

Parihaka
08 Aug 10,, 23:57
Sorry guys, you're going to have to live with it for a wee while yet.
Everyone's doing it in their limited spare time but hopefully thing's will be more sorted this week. I'm talking to Martin about what I can do to help and we'll roll out changes as and when we can.
The upside is this is a new and better version of vBulletin and you should see some nice new features roll out over the next while.
Meanwhile don't be too mean to Martin and Adam, all this is happening outside their business hours and as you know they own, run, maintain and support the site free of charge for us mere plebs.

Ytlas
09 Aug 10,, 00:00
I like it!

Not

I find the new format very annoying.

Shek
09 Aug 10,, 02:49
Also, Adam needs to take a hand-writing class. Very unprofessional.

I thought it was pretty funny and think that the touch of smart a$$ behind that fits the personality of the board well as a short-term "fix" to the skin.

While I'd agree that the standard vB look is weak, I know that it took several weeks of tweaking to get the old skin up and running, and given that there's some behind the scenes play nice with vB tweaking, we're probably a few weeks away from getting a facelift. In the end, we'll soon forget the temporary look.

Albany Rifles
09 Aug 10,, 03:40
I thought it was pretty funny and think that the touch of smart a$$ behind that fits the personality of the board well as a short-term "fix" to the skin.

While I'd agree that the standard vB look is weak, I know that it took several weeks of tweaking to get the old skin up and running, and given that there's some behind the scenes play nice with vB tweaking, we're probably a few weeks away from getting a facelift. In the end, we'll soon forget the temporary look.

Sounds like "Major" suck uppage for his old peers to me!!!!

Ratus Ratus
09 Aug 10,, 04:06
Totally sucks, man.

You are right but sounds as if you are going all polite.
You feeling well?

S2
09 Aug 10,, 07:32
"You are right but sounds as if you are going all polite.
You feeling well?"

Feverish, actually, from looking at this damned board. Likely better than you though.;) Nick, how are you my antipodean ratus friend?

Southie
09 Aug 10,, 13:22
I like blue!

I don't like the new format! Change is not good. Thank gosh it's temporary!

Ratus Ratus
09 Aug 10,, 13:30
Likely better than you though. Nick, how are you my antipodean ratus friend?

I suspect you are doing much better.
Life at present sucks, seems some of the old ills have returned. Time for a new check up.

bigross86
09 Aug 10,, 13:42
I really don't see what everyone's problem with the new skin is. I'm perfectly fine with it...

I kinda like it, actually. I actually think it looks a bit better than the old one

Freeloader
09 Aug 10,, 16:37
I do not mind the font size or layout, and the "World Affairs Board - Adam" I see at the top is a graphical masterpiece that should remain there forever. But the colors are a bit "bright". I believe Vbulletin 4.0.5 allows each individual to pick their own background color and such from a list. Black background/white or red letters I personally like.

ArmchairGeneral
09 Aug 10,, 17:19
...graphical masterpiece that should remain there forever...

Indeed. True genius. Might even scare some of the chew toys away. Wait...that's not a good thing. Without a supply of chew toys the Colonel gets grumpy. Heck, I get grumpy. Might be worth it, though, for the awesomeness of our new logo.

RustyBattleship
09 Aug 10,, 17:59
Sorry, but the banner looks like some grafitti on my wall I had to paint over.

Monk
09 Aug 10,, 18:56
If you guys are interested, I have a friend who is a genius at designing banners and I can ask him to take a look for you guys.

dave lukins
09 Aug 10,, 22:29
Sorry, but the banner looks like some grafitti on my wall I had to paint over.

Paint!!...That makes a change from you blasting it off with one of your guns RB:biggrin:

JAD_333
09 Aug 10,, 22:59
Martin and Adam are working hard to get this right. Let's hold off judgment until they pronounce it complete.

Julie
09 Aug 10,, 23:26
I thought it was pretty funny and think that the touch of smart a$$ behind that fits the personality of the board well as a short-term "fix" to the skin.First impressions are important, and I say it will attract trolls.

There are more older people here with less than average vision, and the fonts should be larger. I'm well aware Control + is your friend, but scrolling off the screen to read it is not.

FYI, smart a$$es are born and bred by dumba$$es. You want to attract dumba$$es ?...then keep the chickenscratch at the top. :rolleyes:

JAD_333
10 Aug 10,, 00:01
First impressions are important, and I say it will attract trolls.

There are more older people here with less than average vision, and the fonts should be larger. I'm well aware Control + is your friend, but scrolling off the screen to read it is not.

FYI, smart a$$es are born and bred by dumba$$es. You want to attract dumba$$es ?...then keep the chickenscratch at the top. :rolleyes:

It's temporary. There was another one up briefly. Wonder where it went. I believe Martin's first order of business is to fix the header. Take heart; we will survive the turbulent waters.

Julie
10 Aug 10,, 00:06
It's temporary. There was another one up briefly. Wonder where it went. I believe Martin's first order of business is to fix the header. Take heart; we will survive the turbulent waters.We had vBulletin when it began back in 2001. And, from what I understand, what we went to was considered an "upgrade." I don't understand why we're going back to vBulletin. :redface:

Albany Rifles
10 Aug 10,, 02:03
Martin and Adam are working hard to get this right. Let's hold off judgment until they pronounce it complete.

Looks like the Mods are sticking together...Pari, Shek and now JAD!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::P:P

We appreciate the hard work...remember, the time to worry about the troops is when they ARE NOT bitching!

Julie
10 Aug 10,, 02:32
Looks like the Mods are sticking together...Pari, Shek and now JAD!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::P:P

We appreciate the hard work...remember, the time to worry about the troops is when they ARE NOT bitching!Only you would get away with saying something like that. Me, on the other hand, would get a nasty PM in my box. :P

I thought comments were welcome. :biggrin:

Shek
10 Aug 10,, 02:54
Buck, I haven't been a mod for a year or so now. I'm just collecting a retirement paycheck . . .

Albany Rifles
10 Aug 10,, 05:24
Buck, I haven't been a mod for a year or so now. I'm just collecting a retirement paycheck . . .

To paraphrase Uncle Sam"s Misguided Children>>>>once a Mod, always a mod!

RustyBattleship
10 Aug 10,, 06:06
Paint!!...That makes a change from you blasting it off with one of your guns RB:biggrin:

The city of Long Beach stopped using sand blasting some years ago and switched to painting concrete block walls - usually with an unmatching color. However, some time ago a city worker came over to paint my wall while I was actually painting it myself (just a small area this time). He took a sample of my paint and the next time I had a large area to cover he did an excellent job covering up the grafittie and matching the rest of my paint -- TWICE.

There was also grafitti on the sidewalks. I took photos of them and sent them to my councilman (who - unfortunately - did not get re-elected this year). A few days later a city worker came over and hydro-blasted the grafitti right out of the concrete. You see, you should not paint on a side walk as it becomes too slippery. If you sand-blast it, it feels like sandpaper. Hydro-blasting did the trick perfectly.

pChan
10 Aug 10,, 11:14
Somebody plesae change that main WAB caption picture. It looks too childish.

BD1
10 Aug 10,, 13:33
i for one like the new logo. Never trust anybody who takes themselves too seriously.
But i always have to tone the contrast and brightness down, since itīs a killer for my eyes.

JAD_333
10 Aug 10,, 21:46

We appreciate the hard work...remember, the time to worry about the troops is when they ARE NOT bitching!

Reading W.T. Sherman's autobiography and just finished his chapter on lessons learned from the conduct of the army during the Civil War...need I say more?

As to your point about the troops bitching, he would agree. It's good we have no shrinking violets here.:biggrin:

BadKharma
10 Aug 10,, 22:14
If you want help with a new forum skin let me know.

Shamus
11 Aug 10,, 02:48
The Dude is righteous on this subject.+1,says Walter

Julie
12 Aug 10,, 03:52
I feel like somebody is riding behind me with the bright lights on.....my eyes are dialating and I can't see no more, going to bed !!!

highsea
21 Aug 10,, 06:45
What's with the google ads? :(

bolo121
21 Aug 10,, 07:11
I think its because of this.

https://www.vbulletin.com/order/index.php

Gus00
23 Aug 10,, 05:55
Bland, sterile and uninspiring. I vote nay.

Kevin Brown
28 Aug 10,, 01:11
I'm not a big fan of it ether. I personally miss the old skin, perhaps the Admins could spice it up a little?

paintgun
31 Aug 10,, 01:41
yeah, feels like in a medical ward, i miss the old WAB skin too