PDA

View Full Version : Wab 2.0

Martin
05 Aug 10,, 23:29
Hi Everyone,

We've completed the bulk of the upgrade to vBulletin 4. More things need to be done along with a finalization of the design.

I hope everyone likes it and comments are very much welcome!

Adam
05 Aug 10,, 23:32
Looking good so far!

gunnut
05 Aug 10,, 23:33
The colors...the colors...

Any way to make the default letter size a bit bigger and darker?

Martin
05 Aug 10,, 23:34
What's wrong with the colours?! Maybe I'll regret saying comments are welcome :-P.

I'll have a play around with sizes and see what it looks like!

gunnut
05 Aug 10,, 23:45
What's wrong with the colours?! Maybe I'll regret saying comments are welcome :-P.

I'll have a play around with sizes and see what it looks like!

Nah...nothing is wrong with the colors. They're just...different.

The size and the color of the text could definitely use a boost. Personally, I think the font size is too small and the coloring too light, which strain my eyes. Or maybe I just need better glasses. :tongue:

ArmchairGeneral
06 Aug 10,, 00:07
Okay, my first reaction was an impulse to stab things. Then I realized that it just wasn't loading properly. I still want to stab things, but much more gently. I don't suppose there's a keep it the same option for stick in the mud reactionaries? Also, what gunnut said.

YellowFever
06 Aug 10,, 00:08
I'm with gunnut, the text would be easier on the eyes if it were a bit darker and maybe one or two sizes larger.

And maybe a different default font? :))

Other than that, a bang up job, Martin!

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 00:14
Nope - vB4 was a complete rewrite basically so old templates do not work at all.

ArmchairGeneral
06 Aug 10,, 00:21
Figgers. Ah well, I think I hated the last version at first too, probably I'll get used to it.

bigross86
06 Aug 10,, 00:29
Fine by me.

Maybe it helps to be a young kid with fairly decent eyesight...

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 01:11
Draft 1 of the new header btw.

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 01:17
Draft 1 of the new header btw.

: Parihaka bows his head in shame: :redface:
I'll email you tonight my time

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 01:20
: Parihaka bows his head in shame: :redface:
I'll email you tonight my time

Do you happen to have experience with CSS?

Never trust a web developer to trouble shoot a network. Likewise never let an IT guy touch CSS!

chender
06 Aug 10,, 01:22
It is fast and working fine, fonts and styling are great. The only reaction I am having is the contrast. The site feels pale with insufficient contrast. Maybe just need to get used to it.

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 01:31
Parihaka - putting up another temporary one Adam made! I assume when I wake up I will have something from you in my inbox.

JAD_333
06 Aug 10,, 01:33
Operationally, much better. Typeface and colors are rather tepid. Can they be punched up? Bolder, bigger?

Nevertheless, I am sure all of us appreciate your efforts.

Adam
06 Aug 10,, 01:34
It's really starting to come together now Martin!

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 01:53
How is the black?

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 02:04
Do you happen to have experience with CSS?

Never trust a web developer to trouble shoot a network. Likewise never let an IT guy touch CSS!

hell no, I farm that stuff out, I'm strictly graphic design. I'm happy to give suggestions for you to implement though :))

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 02:05
What do you think of Adam's design skills?

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 02:18
How is the black?
Blacks good, if you could drop the luminence on the background down to about 90% and either bold the text or change to something like Franklin Gothic Medium might help too.

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 02:29
What do you think of Adam's design skills? I chose the colors myself.

He shouldn't give up his day job ;)
As for the colours, well, ..... i'm speechless :)

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 02:40
And we have flags!

Blademaster
06 Aug 10,, 02:42
I am freaking blind!!!! I want to go back to the original colors pronto!!! I am blind!! I tell you!! I am blind!!

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 03:02
And we have flags!

Ohhhhh, I like those. Can the main banner be a gif file? i.e. animated?

Martin
06 Aug 10,, 03:03
Ohhhhh, I like those. Can the main banner be a gif file? i.e. animated?

I think so.

Shamus
06 Aug 10,, 03:09
I'm with gunnut, the text would be easier on the eyes if it were a bit darker and maybe one or two sizes larger.

And maybe a different default font? :))

Other than that, a bang up job, Martin!Text??? There's text on this page????Lord help me it's hell getting old........where's that magnifying glass???;):))

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 03:20
Text??? There's text on this page????Lord help me it's hell getting old........where's that magnifying glass???;):))

Ctrl + is your friend ;)

JAD_333
06 Aug 10,, 03:25
The type color is much better...now, how about a 2 pt jump in font size...please:redface:

Adam
06 Aug 10,, 03:27
The type color is much better...now, how about a 2 pt jump in font size...please:redface:

Been trying to figure that out for a few hours now. Will have to leave that for Martin to fix up tomorrow I think. vBulletin is hard. :(

Shamus
06 Aug 10,, 03:38
Ctrl + is your friend ;)Ahhhhh.........so it tis matey,so it tis........many thanks;)

Adam
06 Aug 10,, 03:41
Well there's Franklin Gothic Medium - 14pt.

Martin, I'll leave the rest to you [StyleVars >> Common >> forum_msg_font]

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 03:52
Well there's Franklin Gothic Medium - 14pt.

Martin, I'll leave the rest to you [StyleVars >> Common >> forum_msg_font]

Well done matey, give that man a raise

TopHatter
06 Aug 10,, 04:12
Looking good so far fellows! :)

Adam
06 Aug 10,, 04:26
Blacks good, if you could drop the luminence on the background down to about 90% and either bold the text or change to something like Franklin Gothic Medium might help too.

Just to clarify - you're referring to the background for the entire page, not the posts themselves right?

Parihaka
06 Aug 10,, 04:55
Just to clarify - you're referring to the background for the entire page, not the posts themselves right?

Yep, the white page. People tend to think contrast is good, but having pure white is counterproductive and makes reading the text harder. I'd experiment with a range between 80 - 90% luminance on the page, it depends on the software.

highsea
06 Aug 10,, 05:15
The multi-quote button seems to be missing it's gif. Makes the screen go wide. :(

Also would like larger fonts and more contrast.

bolo121
06 Aug 10,, 06:52
Just logged in and wasnt sure i typed the address right.
Lookin good, very good..:)

I second Pari on the contrast thing though. Also could you guys maybe make the smileys maybe abiut 30% larger and a bit darker?

snowhole
06 Aug 10,, 07:17
The upgrade is actually pretty nice, although if alternative colour schemes (for members to choose from) were available that would be appreciated... Besides, a large chunk of the screen being white and bright is hazardous to human eyes...

Deltacamelately
06 Aug 10,, 11:13
...Groan...

Put up a magnifier on the screen and Oh! the previous smilies would fit in much better.
Rest everything seems great. GJD.

crooks
06 Aug 10,, 12:55
Wow, I really like the new flags, makes me feel all squishy and proud :). Good job lads, the text is a bit small but still readable, and posts seem really 'clean' and easy to disect. I like the new logo too!

tankie
06 Aug 10,, 13:14
Well it will take some getting used to with my old mans eyes , but well done and ta for my email notifications Martin , promote yourself to Hannibals chief elephant trainer . or better still , join the engineers and become a moderate scotch taster ;)

Deltacamelately
06 Aug 10,, 13:20
Where actually is the marinaded dino till now?;)

667medic
06 Aug 10,, 14:08
Sir, is it possible to have the old color layout again....

Big K
06 Aug 10,, 14:10
since i have any contribution i dont have the right to complain but if i must say my opinion...well it became "very ordinary" and harder to read because of brighter colors.

Aryajet
06 Aug 10,, 17:16
Ctrl + is your friend ;)

Pari,
Many thanx for the tutorial. This ol geezer can put the 10X magnifying glass back in the drawer now.:biggrin:

dave lukins
06 Aug 10,, 17:36
Pari,
Many thanx for the tutorial. This ol geezer can put the 10X magnifying glass back in the drawer now.:biggrin:

Or use Ctrl and the wheel on your mouse for finer 'tuning';)

JA Boomer
06 Aug 10,, 18:03
I hate change lol.

Like most other things, I hate the new version now, but will most likely quickly get used to it and see the merits of the changes.

Aryajet
06 Aug 10,, 20:10
Or use Ctrl and the wheel on your mouse for finer 'tuning';)

Thanx Dave,
For now it does not work the way I was expecting but I assure you I'll keep practicing.:biggrin:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDuVzCB3ejAEkR0ee3PFXEaCTmYH9Ch uZfIugL2oFh3zprNdg&t=1&usg=__Po4knUGJ_E-hcD3LNfY0e-tQ-ko=

gunnut
06 Aug 10,, 21:17
And we have flags!

These flags are cool! :)

Can I request the font size on main page with all the forums and titles be bigger? Maybe 3 points bigger. And the fonts in posts be maybe 1 point bigger.

Mohan
07 Aug 10,, 04:29
We jsut want the older colors. I am used to it now, i cant change and how did you convince the Dinosaur for the change:biggrin:

i think i am going to be chewed now:confused:

sohamsri
07 Aug 10,, 07:41
Wokay. I though WAB got hacked or something.

Its umm... different. I guess I was too used to the old theme.
Even then, nicely done !

sohamsri
07 Aug 10,, 07:42
On the brighter side, the text is much smoother and appealing !
I just miss the old theme.

TTL
07 Aug 10,, 11:18
Will there be a new skin? Zooming the page makes it easier to read but very annoying to navigate :(

Martin
07 Aug 10,, 14:16
Will there be a new skin? Zooming the page makes it easier to read but very annoying to navigate :(

Not unless you're volunteering and could actually make it better. The current theme will be tweaked, possibly today, but it depends on when I have free time.

I just want to point that the huge amount of work Adam and I performed (the vBulletin upgrade and new theme was NOT a straightforward process in any sense) was done in our own personal time.

We highly appreciate the gratitute conveyed by some members :-).

TTL
07 Aug 10,, 15:43

Don't get me wrong sir, I am grateful to those who spare time and effort so I can enjoy such a wonderful site like WAB.

ArmchairGeneral
07 Aug 10,, 16:31
Oops. I probably didn't manage to convey my deep, heartfelt, and face groveling thanks nearly well enough, if it all. :redface: And I'm beginning to appreciate the some of the changes. Also, keep the logo, it's awesome.

bigross86
07 Aug 10,, 18:40
Like I said before, I'm all for the change.

Thankx to all the folks behind it and behind the WAB in general.

Aryajet
07 Aug 10,, 18:44
Not unless you're volunteering and could actually make it better. The current theme will be tweaked, possibly today, but it depends on when I have free time.

I just want to point that the huge amount of work Adam and I performed (the vBulletin upgrade and new theme was NOT a straightforward process in any sense) was done in our own personal time.

C'mon Martin.
Adam's and your hardwork, dedication to make WAB the most magnificent, outstanding and insightful discussion board in the world is highly appreciated and valued.
Hats tipped to you both, administration and moderators team. WAB rules and always will.

dave lukins
07 Aug 10,, 23:02
On the brighter side, the text is much smoother and appealing !
I just miss the old theme.

Namaste Soham...Being a Luddite I liked the old one as well but as they say, 'change is as good as a rest' :))

Hakuna Matata

bolo121
08 Aug 10,, 05:32
I really appreciate all the work you guys have put in especially paying the extortionate VB 4 license.

Also the guys over at DFI have been playing with VB 4 for a while so you can sort of have a preview of what worked out and what didn't.

ArmchairGeneral
08 Aug 10,, 05:48
Wait a minute- :biggrin: :D

ArmchairGeneral
08 Aug 10,, 05:49
Or maybe- :)

bolo121
08 Aug 10,, 05:50
dang... :redface:

ok corrected my error.

ArmchairGeneral
08 Aug 10,, 05:51
Nope, not that either. How are you getting that smiley? :confused:

Now I've got to check 'em all. :( :tongue: :mad: :) :biggrin:

edit: Aha! : )) does the trick! :)) Weird, it seems like we have all the old ones, except the standard smiley seems to have changed, but we've added an extra biggrin. Oh, and an extra sad. :( :frown:

Maybe- :smile:

editedit: Nope.

ArmchairGeneral
08 Aug 10,, 05:56
This is almost as fun as searching for new emoticons on Facebook chat. :tongue:

Monash
08 Aug 10,, 11:07
I was wondering why the WAB suddenly went all "pastel" on me. PS where did the emoticons go?.... oops just found them.

chakos
08 Aug 10,, 12:36
Its very corporate looking for lack of better term. Im all for it... ignore the blind old whining gheezers :cool:

kato
08 Aug 10,, 17:16
Anyone notice yet that the search on username produces somewhat... outdated results?

ArmchairGeneral
08 Aug 10,, 18:38
If you mean searching for posts, I did notice that after the first few posts from today and yesterday, the results jump all the way back to 2008.

Parihaka
09 Aug 10,, 00:10

And I much appreciate it matey. I'm only beginning to understand how difficult setting up a site actually is....

Sumku
09 Aug 10,, 01:30
Good Job Done with the new skin and all. When I first landed here, I had to recheck the address to ensure that I had landed on the correct site....this is not only awesome but refreshing as well.

However having said that there are 2 things that can definitely be looked into
1) Look at the below screenshot....that "Multiquote this Message" thingy is way off line
Screenshot attached.

2) Font Size can definiltely be increased by 2 points and made a bit bold or a new font type can be considered.

Overall a Good Job. The one thing that I most definitely liked is what I noticed while uploading the screenshot...in how it shows the list of all the files that you have previously uploaded.

sohamsri
09 Aug 10,, 12:01
Namaste Soham...Being a Luddite I liked the old one as well but as they say, 'change is as good as a rest' :))

Hakuna Matata

Greetings sir ! Hope you have been good.

Talking of Luddites...
http://www.seo-chicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/new_luddite.jpg

Martin
12 Aug 10,, 16:07
RIGHT. I have been puking up all over my house the last few days but I'm feeling better today so will try and investigate/fix some of the issues.

Martin
12 Aug 10,, 16:13
New temporary logo created by Parihaka btw!

Martin
12 Aug 10,, 16:16
Multiquote works fine for me. What browser are you using?

YellowFever
12 Aug 10,, 16:54
Just a FYI.....

If you go to the "view forum posts" for each individual members, it seems like the past two years of posts have been wiped out....

Martin
12 Aug 10,, 18:09
Let me see what I can do about that.

FYI I also enabled the default vB theme which you can change via your profile.

bolo121
12 Aug 10,, 20:29
Searched for a theme setting in profile and didn't find any. I like the new toned down look though, way easier on the eyes.

JAD_333
13 Aug 10,, 04:56
Coming together, Martin. Sorry to hear you were barfing all over your house, but happy I wasn't there...oh. hell, there goes my appetite...

Martin
15 Aug 10,, 15:26
Is anyone still having issues with 'reply to quote' ?

Parihaka
16 Aug 10,, 00:04
Martin, what I'm seeing is all the usual buttons with descriptors except 'multi-quote this message' where the icon shows but not the descriptor. This happens on explorer, firefox and safari. Maybe this is what they're referring to

Also, i tried to upload a screenshot but wasn't able to...

Martin
16 Aug 10,, 00:27
Can you email one to me please? I don't see anything wrong!

Sumku
16 Aug 10,, 00:42
Multiquote works fine for me. What browser are you using?
Sorry for the late response.....I am using IE 6.0

Parihaka
16 Aug 10,, 00:45
Can you email one to me please? I don't see anything wrong!

On its way matey

Skywatcher
16 Aug 10,, 01:57
Incidentally, are there any planned functions to stop or at least hinder necroposting? It's really getting on my nerves.

Martin
16 Aug 10,, 13:24
Incidentally, are there any planned functions to stop or at least hinder necroposting? It's really getting on my nerves.

Report the post :-)

Martin
16 Aug 10,, 13:24
Can someone re-check if they can enable the default vB theme via their profile?

bolo121
16 Aug 10,, 13:31
Can someone re-check if they can enable the default vB theme via their profile?

Hi, I just tried it, working fine. Finally the site spreads across the entire screen instead of just the middle.

Martin
16 Aug 10,, 13:32
Hi, I just tried it, working fine. Finally the site spreads across the entire screen instead of just the middle.

Any thoughts on the default theme?

Parihaka
17 Aug 10,, 03:36

I like your layout much better but I do like the 'widescreen' look that the forum default has. I haven't tried that on a traditional monitor though...

bolo121
17 Aug 10,, 13:12

Its pretty good especially after the brightness and contrast issues were mitigated. Like Pari said, change it to widescreen and bump up default font size a bit.
Does vb allow you to have a custom set of smileys for the board? The new default ones are a bit tiny and overshiny.
Long term maybe you guys can bring back the old red colours again.

MIKEMUN
18 Aug 10,, 17:28
I don't know if it's me, but in the previous version I could search for a specific post. Now the search just gives me the whole thread.

Martin
18 Aug 10,, 19:44
We may actually have to move to the default theme (with tweaks, colour changes, banner change etc) for other reasons.

Hopefully Parihaka can find some time (and thank you very much to him for wasting his own time making up banners) to mock something up to fit with the 'default' theme for the moment.

I plan on doing an email blast to all members within the next week assuming we get the site looking tidy.

Parihaka
18 Aug 10,, 23:55
We may actually have to move to the default theme (with tweaks, colour changes, banner change etc) for other reasons.

Hopefully Parihaka can find some time (and thank you very much to him for wasting his own time making up banners) to mock something up to fit with the 'default' theme for the moment.

I plan on doing an email blast to all members within the next week assuming we get the site looking tidy.

Working on banners this evening hopefully.

ArmchairGeneral
22 Aug 10,, 07:58
I don't know if it's me, but in the previous version I could search for a specific post. Now the search just gives me the whole thread.

Had the same problem- if you switch from "Search Multiple Content Types" to "Search Single Content Types" you get the display posts option.

ArmchairGeneral
22 Aug 10,, 08:03
However, all posts older than about a week and later than mid 2008 are still missing from search results. Now I have to trudge through five billion posts to figure out what that dratted violin piece in Master and Commander was. :( All in all, though, I think it's looking a lot cleaner now. Except the crappy logo was more awesomer.

Ironduke
22 Aug 10,, 10:03
Hey everybody,

I created a copy of the current skin with a larger font size. All 11pt font has been increase to 12pt. Please review and provide feedback. You can select the skin at the very bottom left of the forum on the footer. This affects mostly the font size displayed on the forum homepage.

YellowFever
22 Aug 10,, 10:39
Ok, the vB4 default style seems to look much better if you have a widescreen monitor.

It's looking much better fellas...a few more tweaks and it should be be awesome.

Julie
22 Aug 10,, 17:59
Hey everybody,

I created a copy of the current skin with a larger font size. All 11pt font has been increase to 12pt. Please review and provide feedback. You can select the skin at the very bottom left of the forum on the footer. This affects mostly the font size displayed on the forum homepage.Most definitely works for me. Thanks.

bolo121
22 Aug 10,, 18:17
Hey everybody,

I created a copy of the current skin with a larger font size. All 11pt font has been increase to 12pt. Please review and provide feedback. You can select the skin at the very bottom left of the forum on the footer. This affects mostly the font size displayed on the forum homepage.

Ahh much better. My eyes thank you.

ArmchairGeneral
11 Nov 10,, 04:19
Search results are still screwy. Get a couple of months of recent posts and then it jumps back to 2008.

Shek
12 Nov 10,, 04:02
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

ArmchairGeneral
12 Nov 10,, 04:47
Funny, I was actually hunting for one of your posts. Something about the demographic makeup of US military recruits. Never found it. Oh well.

Tarek Morgen
12 Nov 10,, 10:03
Is this the thread you looked for?

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/field-mess/43795-has-military-training-trainee-quality-experience-downhill-drop.html

While I can't offer a solution to the hole in the search index WAN currently has, there is a makeshift workaround via google (or any other work engine):

You simply enter the search terms you would have entered into the WAB search function (and the name of the Poster) and then add the following command after it:

site:http://www.worldaffairsboard.com

(This tells Google to only search on WAB)

In this example I entered the following querry into google:

demographic recruits shek site:http://www.worldaffairsboard.com

resulting in the following finds:

l - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=l&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a#q=demographic+recruits+shek+site:http://www.worldaffairsboard.com&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=5UV&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&prmd=iv&ei=4wDdTOb3FdHxsga6lo33Cw&start=0&sa=N&fp=36be09504a385cac)

from which the one I posted looked most promising, though of course I can't be sure if that is what you looked for. If the topic is not among the list try to adjust the search words, as it of course only works if the words entered are also actually found in the thread you look for. The highest success chance should come if you are able to quote a short phrase out of memory enter it " ". For example looking for "Completely Unoffical WAB Survival Guide" via the querry:

"Completely Unoffical WAB Survival Guide" site:http://www.worldaffairsboard.com

lands you directly in Zraver's survival Guide.

edit:

Oh and should you be redirected from google to a filestorage site, just go back and do it again, it should work then. The Problem is known, but the reason and/or solution has not been found yet.

ArmchairGeneral
12 Nov 10,, 14:14
Oops. I shoulda thought of that. :redface: Great idea, thanks Tarek.

I did actually find that thread, had high hopes at first, but no cigar. Google gave me the info I was looking for from other sites, once I figured out the correct incantations of power.

tankie
12 Nov 10,, 15:59
Can anyone tell me where the members list is ????

bigross86
12 Nov 10,, 16:16
On the toolbar at the top of the page on the left. Click on Community and in the drop down menu choose "Member List"

tankie
12 Nov 10,, 17:10
On the toolbar at the top of the page on the left. Click on Community and in the drop down menu choose "Member List"

Thanks Ben .:notworthy:

bigross86
12 Nov 10,, 21:31
Anything for you, mate!

tankie
12 Nov 10,, 21:33
Anything for you, mate!

Awwwwwwwww cheers Ben , anything huh , righty ho , send beer tokens :drunk:

bigross86
12 Nov 10,, 21:39
They're in the mail...

tankie
12 Nov 10,, 21:43
They're in the mail...

Ahh yes and the others are , yes of course i love you babes , and i wont arrive in your throat :whome: