What do you think about WAB lately??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about WAB lately??

When I got on this board I thought it was one of the greatest boards out there. The discussions were lively and educational. But it seems to me that the forum is degenerating into people having pointless arguments and posting flame threads.... Most threads are being ruined and it is sad to see this board turning into a place where people start their own little wars and contribute nothing to discussions.......

I need your opinions....

Oh and mods,please delete this thread if you think that it is not appropriate...
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

True.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Comment

What can be done?? I'd really hate to see this board go down the drain..Banning people is not an option..But I'd really like to see this board become the educational,friendly board it always has been...
        "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN
          Banning people is not an option....
          Says who?
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

If WAB gave me mod status for just 10 minutes, i'd clean this board out.

Again.

The thing that really irks me about the board lately is the 'server too busy' messages so many of us have been getting.
            Time for an upgrade...

Comment

I disagree that the WAB has gone down in standard of discussion. The discussions are on course, but the enthusiasm has calmed down. This is evident from the posts not changing as fast as the used to do.

I don't find any flames in the Non Asian section and instead it is like Sunday school. It is too one sided except for one poster who sort of pumped some adrenalin in one of the non Asian threads.

In fact, if one finds that contrary views are flames, then one should just talk to himself and feel most statisfied with the world.

I hope I am not misunderstood, but there was a forum where I was quite active and a respected member till the moderators wanted to reform the board and brought in very strict control. I rarely go there since it has become one of the British old boys club.

I also visit another forum where VVV is seen sometimes. It is wild. There seems to be no Moderator or Admins. In fact, both these types are taken on and I am surprised that nothing happens to them. Yet, these wild "debates" have a whole lot of links to back up the contrary views and is very educative, even if one does not participate.

I think the aim of visiting any forum is education and not being like a British old boys' club of mutual back scratching.

Do forgive my frank opinion since I care for WAB and I have learnt a lot from WAB and so I took the liberty of stating what I stated. I learnt a whole lot about Islam from WAB and I daresay I am no longer bigoted, though many would call those debates as unruly. I have learnt about the US way of life from WAB and met most interesting folks like Rambo.

I am sure wth a little tolerance and more of contrary views, one would find that one is forced to activate one's brain cells and googles more to present one's views. In the bargain one himself gets educated.
              Last edited by Ray; 02 May 05,, 18:35.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Forums go through mod cycles: sometimes the mods are too strict and sometimes they are too lax. After being strict for a while there is a certain reluctance to crack down for fear of stifiling discussion. And then when anarchy breaks loose, severe measures are taken. I don't think we are even close to the point of anarchy, with the possible exception of the Asia forum. The rest seems to be doing just fine.

Comment

ZFB

The Asian forum is the most interesting if one knows Asia! The info that is available is most educative.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The whip was just cracked.

Gio has banned all the following members for troll like or otherwise innapropriate behavior:

Dima
                    Gangsta540i
                    Glow
                    Prosto Ilya
                    Selecao
                    And one other troll whose name escapes me at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      The whip was just cracked.

Gio has banned all the following members for troll like or otherwise innapropriate behavior:

Dima
                      Gangsta540i
                      Glow
                      Prosto Ilya
                      Selecao
                      And one other troll whose name escapes me at the moment.
                      The only downside to those jokers getting banned is that my free entertainment just got taken away

Ah well, I guess I'll have to content myself with polite but spirited debate and the informative exchange of relevant facts, opinons and current events, along with the usual humor
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
                        Forums go through mod cycles: sometimes the mods are too strict and sometimes they are too lax. After being strict for a while there is a certain reluctance to crack down for fear of stifiling discussion. And then when anarchy breaks loose, severe measures are taken. I don't think we are even close to the point of anarchy, with the possible exception of the Asia forum. The rest seems to be doing just fine.
                        I strongly feel, things aren't even handed.

Comment

Asim, your main complaint seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that we only seem to moderate for language and tone, rather than content. This is true to a CERTAIN extent, because , as long as they are respectful about it, people can make almost any argument they would like. What you seem to be asking is for the mods and admins to take a side on the India-Pakistan conflict, because otherwise how could we justify editing for content when the sources are legit? It doesn't matter if the poster has an agenda when they post a factual article. There is nothing wrong with trying to persuade others using facts and legitimate sources. There is no point in denying that many of those threads turn into flame wars, but that is not the fault of the topic or article, but because people refuse to just be civil. If you wish to discuss this further you can contact me on MSN, PM me, or email me.

Comment

Actually there's been blatant ignorance of facts. Everyone here's an expert on Islam. Haha at times I've been told "You believe", "You think", apparently quantifying my morals and beliefs. Thats the personal aspect.

My comment on not being "even handed" was, that these discussions ONLY pop up, when there are rebuttals, and not when the original conflict was initiated. Whats keeping me from saying "Hey they can do it, so why not me?". Legit sources and facts would be provided. Its an ugly world out there, there's plenty to sling about. But then there would be people always wondering, whats wrong with WAB? You can't or shouldn't censor anyone, but do encourage people towards what you feel is right. Obviously change has to come from within every individual and not thrusted upon.

Comment

Things had become calm and decent on the Asian Sub Forum.

All was well.

Now, a little bird used a legit snip, but the comments were his own ;). It was overflowing with glee at the killing of some blokes and the ecstatic outpourings equated the killing by terrorists as deserved Dogs death or killed like a goat etc.

Now, isn't that interesting?

There is an Urdu saying - "Ulta Chor Kotwal ko datey" (The crook instead berates the cop!).

What could be a better forum than here to pretend innocence?

Who says a Mod or an Admin cannot rein in? One must intelligently understand the spirit of the post rather than being clever by half.

No one can become an expert by just visiting forums. But, at least, their ideas become clearer. No one can become an expert on Islam, since even those who are practising, are no experts themselves! ;) But learn, yes, one can learn. Interest to learn can also be ignited. That is why I am a regular visitor at Quaran TV or QTV, a Pakistani TV channel. Do I regret it? No. I am the beneficiary.
                              Last edited by Ray; 03 May 05,, 06:36.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X