Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet connection

Hey guys,

I recently moved to a new apartment, and I've noticed an unfortunate decrease in internet speed. I'm running Windows XP with an internal wireless adapter. I called the ISP, who said that (according to their tests) the server is providing 500KB/s, which is not anywhere near to the 50KB/s I actually get. Is there anything I can do on my end to increase the speed?
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Yes. Get rid of dial-up if at all possible.

Comment

Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test
      Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
        I think he's using a broadband (!) connection. while using a dial-up you can only get 5kb/s :) good old days..

Comment

Originally posted by J`ve View Post
          I think he's using a broadband (!) connection. while using a dial-up you can only get 5kb/s :) good old days..
          DSL? Even DSL is more than 500k. no?

Comment

DSL? Even DSL is more than 500k. no?
            Yes. 500kb/s connection speed is around 6~ Mbit.

Comment

You are terrible...:))
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

It might as well be dialup...

I already did the speed test, it shows an average of about 50KB/s. Which sucks.

Anybody?
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Plug in directly to the ISP modem and do the test there first. Then, plug in through an ethernet port on the router, then finally, wireless.

Comment

I would do that, but I'm living in an apartment with the modem and router being God-knows-where. I don't have access to them unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
                      I would do that, but I'm living in an apartment with the modem and router being God-knows-where. I don't have access to them unfortunately.
                      How many people using that connection ?

Comment

Well, there's your problem right there. Without access to the modem and router, you have no idea who or what is limiting your through put.

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
                          It might be an older "B" router, so your speed is limited to (max) 11Mbps; it'll be slower, depending on how many users are on it at any given time.
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                          X