PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection

leib10
16 Jul 10,, 20:59
Hey guys,

I recently moved to a new apartment, and I've noticed an unfortunate decrease in internet speed. I'm running Windows XP with an internal wireless adapter. I called the ISP, who said that (according to their tests) the server is providing 500KB/s, which is not anywhere near to the 50KB/s I actually get. Is there anything I can do on my end to increase the speed?

Wooglin
16 Jul 10,, 21:10
Yes. Get rid of dial-up if at all possible.

J`ve
16 Jul 10,, 21:11
Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test (http://www.pingtest.net/)
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/)

J`ve
16 Jul 10,, 21:14

I think he's using a broadband (!) connection. while using a dial-up you can only get 5kb/s :) good old days..

Wooglin
16 Jul 10,, 21:17
I think he's using a broadband (!) connection. while using a dial-up you can only get 5kb/s :) good old days..

DSL? Even DSL is more than 500k. no?

J`ve
16 Jul 10,, 21:21
DSL? Even DSL is more than 500k. no?

Yes. 500kb/s connection speed is around 6~ Mbit.

gunnut
16 Jul 10,, 22:17

You are terrible...:))

leib10
17 Jul 10,, 01:16
It might as well be dialup...

I already did the speed test, it shows an average of about 50KB/s. Which sucks.

Anybody?

Officer of Engineers
17 Jul 10,, 01:22
Plug in directly to the ISP modem and do the test there first. Then, plug in through an ethernet port on the router, then finally, wireless.

leib10
17 Jul 10,, 15:09
I would do that, but I'm living in an apartment with the modem and router being God-knows-where. I don't have access to them unfortunately.

J`ve
17 Jul 10,, 15:26
I would do that, but I'm living in an apartment with the modem and router being God-knows-where. I don't have access to them unfortunately.

How many people using that connection ?

Officer of Engineers
17 Jul 10,, 16:12
Well, there's your problem right there. Without access to the modem and router, you have no idea who or what is limiting your through put.

Stitch
17 Jul 10,, 22:31

It might be an older "B" router, so your speed is limited to (max) 11Mbps; it'll be slower, depending on how many users are on it at any given time.