PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Investec Tri-Nations Series

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 01:28
Start off with congrats to Pari, the All Blacks decimated the Springboks earlier today, 32-12.

All Blacks power deals to Springboks | allblacks.com - official site of the All Blacks (http://allblacks.com/news/13572/All-Blacks-power-deals-to-Springboks)

All Blacks power deals to Springboks

New Zealand's senior pros stood up in a concerted and powerful display to render South Africa's vaunted threat impotent to take the opening Investec Tri Nations Test 32-12 at Eden Park on Saturday.

This was an All Black team determined to maintain its winning record at its rugby citadel, and to reverse the hat-trick of losses to South Africa last season.

So powerful was the intent, cohesion and drive mounted by the All Blacks, with captain and flanker Richie McCaw setting an example in leadership, while lock Brad Thorn enjoyed possibly his finest game for the side, hooker Keven Mealamu's low-slung running a constant threat. Fullback Mils Muliaina and wing Joe Rokocoko also powerfully demonstrated their continuing worth to the side.

Then there was second five-eighths Ma'a Nonu providing constant headaches for the South African defence.

None of the tactics the South Africans tried appeared to work. Its kicks behind the All Blacks were never a threat and often returned with interest as Muliaina especially charged into the defence with relish. And the competitiveness New Zealand showed at the lineout showed just how far the side has advanced in that area, to the point where it was taking ball from the South Africans

The All Blacks demonstrated superior cohesion and continuity to run in four tries to none

The All Blacks benefited from lock Bakkies Botha's transgression at a ruck five metres out from their line when a professional foul was ruled by referee Alan Lewis and he was sin-binned. It was unlikely to be his last confrontation with the law after an earlier head butt on halfback Jimmy Cowan went undetected. It followed a charge down of a Cowan kick by Botha which saw Cowan pull Botha's jersey as he attempted to chase.

The ace first five-eighths, Dan Carter and Morne Steyn, each missed an early attempt at goal, Carter from a penalty and Steyn from a dropped goal. But after six minutes Steyn landed his first goal when McCaw was penalised for detaching and then Carter responded from the Botha incident.

South Africa looked to use the high kick, but it back-fired with wing Joe Rokocoko calmly took a ball and fed fullback Mils Muliaina. He set off downfield and a huge hole opened. He linked with McCaw who then found centre Conrad Smith and he beat Victor Matfield's tackle to dive over in the corner. Carter's conversion gave New Zealand a 10-3 lead after 18 minutes.

South Africa attacked the All Blacks line but was pushed out and from the lineout No.8 Kieran Read took the ball and the line was cleared as McCaw set off downfield.

New Zealand pieced together several moves and it was when Nonu attempted a grubber kick which rebounded off his opposite Wynand Olivier back into Nonu's arms that the second try resulted. Nonu passed to Rokocoko and when he was held short of the line, Nonu regained the ball and ducked around the blindside to brush through the attempted tackles of wing Jean de Villiers and Steyn.

In the second half, the All Blacks found the penalty count climbing against them and Steyn converted that into 12 points from four penalty goals.

But so long as the All Blacks were scoring tries it mattered little.

The third came from another sustained period of attacking pick and go with lock Tom Donnelly and Thorn charging ahead before it was No.8 Kieran Read who took replacement halfback Piri Weepu's short pass to drive across in tackles to score.

The difference in attacking attitude between the sides was exemplified in the last minute try to prop Tony Woodcock. After a series of collapsed scrums a penalty was awarded, Read tapped and in the resulting driving maul the fourth, and bonus point try was scored.

South Africa lacked cohesion in its backline with the threat of centre Jaque Fourie and the flying wing Bryan Habana contained superbly. Even the expected dominance of No.8 Pierre Spies failed to materialise as the visitors were effectively shut out of significant attacking opportunities.

Scorers:
New Zealand 32 (Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Kieran Read, Tony Woodcock tries; Dan Carter 3 con, 2 pen) South Africa 12 (Morne Steyn 4 pen). HT: 20-3

I support two teams in Rugby Union: The All Blacks and anyone playing Australia. Although, with the way the Springboks played last year, maybe I should change that around to anyone playing South Africa. After all, we already know that the All Blacks can beat the Wallabies whenever they damn well please.

Parihaka
11 Jul 10,, 01:54
We're doing what we always do, peak one year out from the world cup. We'll show our best moves, injure our best players and be utterly predictable by the time 2011 rolls around and get beaten in the semis once again.
Still, makes for good watching when it happens eh? Especially those big Sth African forwards puffing and blowing trying to keep up. Ma'a Nonu, Keven Mealamu and Mils Muliaina all had blinders

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 02:05
I found it very interesting that Sivivatu wasn't playing this year, though I haven't been following Rugby Union or the Super 14 as much as I'd like. I know the Chiefs have had a horrible season this year, especially compared to making it all the way to the finals last year

Parihaka
11 Jul 10,, 02:17
I found it very interesting that Sivivatu wasn't playing this year, though I haven't been following Rugby Union or the Super 14 as much as I'd like. I know the Chiefs have had a horrible season this year, especially compared to making it all the way to the finals last year

He's just been getting slower and slower, too many good guys coming through to hold a space for him

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 02:24
That's pretty much what I figured, though it's a shame. I mean, the dude is only 28 years old. What's he gonna do with himself? I assume that soon the Super 14 contracts will begun to dry up as well.

Parihaka
11 Jul 10,, 02:40
That's pretty much what I figured, though it's a shame. I mean, the dude is only 28 years old. What's he gonna do with himself? I assume that soon the Super 14 contracts will begun to dry up as well.

The usual road, another few years of Super 14 followed by a stint in Japan or Europe. These guys come out as multi-millionaires, life isn't too hard.

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 02:53
My main problem is that most of the games (except for those that will be played in South Africa) will be played on Saturday morning my time, way too early for a civilized person to be awake on a Saturday...

Parihaka
11 Jul 10,, 04:30
Did you get a chance to see the Maori vs England game?

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 10:19
Nope...

Aussiegunner
11 Jul 10,, 10:59
I'm off to see the Wallabies play South Africa in Brisbane in two weeks then the first Bledisloe test in Melbourne the weekend after that. I hope the play and in particular the reffing is better than last year, I went to five tests then and only the one against South Africa was any good , especially since I caught the ball :-).

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 11:19
I've always wondered, is it like Baseball where you get to keep the ball, or do they make you give it back?

Parihaka
11 Jul 10,, 11:25
Nope...
Best game of Rugby I've seen in 20 years. Just thought you might like to know

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 11:43
I'll see if I can find it anywhere...

Aussiegunner
11 Jul 10,, 12:45
I've always wondered, is it like Baseball where you get to keep the ball, or do they make you give it back?

Nah, you have to give it back unfortunately.

Aussiegunner
11 Jul 10,, 12:46
Best game of Rugby I've seen in 20 years. Just thought you might like to know

I heard it was good, I wish I'd seen it.

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 13:00
Couldn't find the whole match, found some videos of the Haka and Tries, though. Awesome Rugby, indeed. England played well, but NZ Maori really put on a show...

Parihaka
11 Jul 10,, 13:53
Couldn't find the whole match, found some videos of the Haka and Tries, though. Awesome Rugby, indeed. England played well, but NZ Maori really put on a show...

It was brilliant, either side could have won right to the death. no one disgraced themselves and god knows how Hosea Gear missed selection for the AB's...

bigross86
11 Jul 10,, 14:51
There's always next year...

bigross86
17 Jul 10,, 13:46
All Blacks complete flying start (http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsArticle=13644)

Superior inventiveness, precision and individual class saw the All Blacks complete their second win, 31-17, over South Africa to make a flying start to the 2010 Investec Tri Nations campaign on a wintry night at Westpac Stadium at Wellington.

Facebook
Twitter
South Africa limped to Australia pointsless and seemingly bereft of ideas after another mauling by another motivated All Blacks effort.

Undeterred by miserable, wet conditions, the All Blacks were prepared to move the ball, even in their own 22m area, when playing into the wind. Nothing South Africa could do could contain the driving off the plays spearheaded by No.8 Kieran Read, who continued to grow in stature, flanker Jerome Kaino and hooker Keven Mealamu.

When they had done their work first five-eighths Dan Carter was able to probe with his boot or let the ball out to the outside backs who were a constant threat.

Acting as the link, and an ideal choice under the circumstances, was halfback Piri Weepu. He thrived in the conditions, feeding the ball consistently while making breaks efficiently to ensure the advantage line was continually broken.

With Richie McCaw again leading the way in the loose, the All Blacks continually caught the South Africans on, or behind, the advantage line with some outstanding defence.

Ultimately the eight tries to two in the two matches highlighted the superiority of the All Blacks in the contests.

South Africa lacked direction from its first five-eighths Morne Steyn and it was left to hard-running by the midfield backs, especially Jaque Fourie, to try and get enough impetus for his side.

South Africa again paid the price for indiscipline when lock Danie Roussouw was sin-binned when flicking at the eye of All Blacks captain Richie McCaw while he was seated on the ground.

A melee broke out but referee Alain Rolland had no qualms about pulling out the yellow card. Carter missed the kick for goal which resulted but the All Blacks struck at the drop out, when No.8 Kieran Read took good ball who flicked the ball to wing Cory Jane.

He linked inside to McCaw and from the ruck the ball was moved left where second five-eighths Ma'a Nonu charged ahead after doubling around and scored in the seventh minute.

South Africa attempted to move the ball through the midfield but centre Jaque Fourie was tackled in supporting players kicked the ball into halfback Piri Weepu's hands. He found space down the centre of the field and then through a long pass to fullback Mils Muliaina who was flying from 40m out and he headed the cover defence to put New Zealand 10-0 up after 11 minutes.

A lucky penalty, resulting from a ruling against wing Rene Ranger for not using his arms in a tackle on Zane Kirchner, the South African fullback, when television replays suggested otherwise, allowed the Springboks their best scoring opportunity.

From a lineout, halfback Ricky Januarie sniped through a gap and then fed de Villiers into a gap and he raced into the goalmouth. From the ruck Roussouw charged over close to the posts to score. First five-eighths Morne Steyn landed the conversion.

Steyn got the Springboks to 13-10 behind just after the halftime break but again the re-start favoured New Zealand and when a downfield kick was run back by Muliaina, Carter was able to kick high and then rucked ball was moved for Ranger to dive over in the corner for his first Test try.

South Africa was looking to run the ball more, with close contact play involving flanker Francois Louw linking with his backs were mid-field players Wynand Olivier and Jaque Fourie made several strong bursts.

But with Carter battling with his goal-kicking a 40-metre chance was handed to Weepu and he landed it to take New Zealand out to 21-10.

The replacement of Ranger by Israel Dagg resulted in a superb individual try, as he left experienced loose forwards like No.8 Pierre Spies and flanker Schalk Burger in his wake. He added Kirchner to the list for good measure en route to a remarkable try.

Burger provided a second try for South Africa but with replacements being fed into both camps the intensity had dropped away by the end.

Scorers:
New Zealand 31 (Ma'a Nonu, Mils Muliaina, Rene Ranger, Israel Dagg tries; Dan Carter con, 2 pen; Piri Weepu pen) South Africa 17 (Danie Roussouw, Schalk Burger tries; Morne Steyn 2 con, pen). HT: 13-7

Well done, the All Blacks. Two weeks break until they take on the Wallabies, who IIRC, the All Blacks beat 9 out of their last 9 meets.

Parihaka
17 Jul 10,, 14:08
Severe arse-kicking for the yaapies twice: what can I say :))

bigross86
17 Jul 10,, 14:49
It's still a bit early to say that the All Blacks will win the series, but they have opened up a very comfortable lead. South Africa will need to demolish the Wallabies in their upcoming games to still have a fighting chance.

Now all that's left is to make sure the Kiwis get to hold on to the Bledisloe Cup for another year or so.

Parihaka
17 Jul 10,, 15:21
It's still a bit early to say that the All Blacks will win the series, but they have opened up a very comfortable lead. South Africa will need to demolish the Wallabies in their upcoming games to still have a fighting chance.

Now all that's left is to make sure the Kiwis get to hold on to the Bledisloe Cup for another year or so.

I can't wait for SA-Aus

bigross86
25 Jul 10,, 03:58
Boks Limp Home Winless (http://allblacks.com/news/13707/Boks-limp-home-winless)

Boks limp home winless

The Springboks will return home from their disastrous tour with three successive Investec Tri Nations defeats on their record after the they lost 13-30 to an energetic Wallabies side at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Facebook
Twitter
The South Africans were rocked by ill-discipline and for the third week in a row they spent time defending without their full complement of men, much to the chagrin of skipper John Smit, who placed responsibility for the loss fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the playing group.

"I think we just have to be honest with ourselves.

"It's hard when you're asked about the type of game we have to play and it's hard to answer because we haven't played our game yet.

"We've got ourselves to blame for all three weeks, so we're not on the money really."

"It wasn't an ideal situation [losing outside-centre Jaque Fourie in the third minute].

"I just couldn't believe it happened again for the third week in a row; it can't keep happening surely; it's hard to play with 14 men at this level.

"You can see the pace of the Tri Nations is fantastic when you're a man down you have to cover a lot more ground and it doesn't hurt you really 10 minutes it hurts you in the 40 or 50 that finish the game," he said in a frank post-match media address.

Earlier in the week, Peter de Villiers had sensationally suggested the referees had been against his side in a conspiracy that wanted next year's World Cup host to be successful in the tournament lead-up.

The comments led Foxsports' Brendan Cannon to call de Villiers a 'clown' and a 'muppet' in a tongue-lashing he was later forced by Sanzar to apologise for.

Cannon wasted no time in resuming the duel post-match and he almost immediately turned up the heat, on the South African coach by asking if he felt he was the right man to lead the Boks into the World-Cup.

"For that you must ask my boss," de Villier replied.

The hope for the South African side remains that its dominant hold on home soil, and an
extended break, will see it ready and raring to repel the Aussies and Kiwis in a few weeks time.

Coach de Villiers was optimistic enough to speak of recognisable positives in South Africa's first three games, but Smit was more realistic about the improvements needed by the Springbok side.

"We're very realistic about how poor, how average we've been in most areas in the last three weeks.

"As apparent as it is to you, it hits us even more so; so we're very aware of the work that we have to do over the next weeks before we can get the next chance to rectify those assets.

"We've got a hell of a lot to work on." said Smit.

De Villiers took a sunnier outlook: "We did some good plays, but we didn't capitalise on that. And then the Wallabies were quite sound on that, hard on the ball and I think all credit to them."

Next week the Kiwis will take on the Aussies. I think it's fairly safe to say that unless a miracle happens, the Springboks will be out of the running for the championship this season.

If the All Blacks win this game, they've almost definitely won the title. If they take the next 2 games, I don't think there's any way they can NOT win the title this year. Playing the Wallabies both games and with one game being at home in Christchurch, I'm really hoping for a couple of good games by the Kiwis.

Aussiegunner
25 Jul 10,, 07:18
I was there and I have to say "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! :-). What a great game and what an awesome night out on Caxton Street afterwards ... its even worth the hangover. Bring on the All Blacks in Melbourne!

HKDan
31 Jul 10,, 11:35
Just sitting down, cracking a beer, and getting ready to watch some rugby. What do you think? Will the Wallabies be able to build on their excellent performance against the Boks, or will the ABs put on a Roo stomping show?

HKDan
31 Jul 10,, 13:02
Woo Hoo!! What a match!

Parihaka
31 Jul 10,, 15:44
Wow. Pity Mitchell got sent off, a penalty would have done and the second half would have been better. Still handed the Wallabies their ass on a plate though

bigross86
31 Jul 10,, 19:46
All Blacks rampant in Melbourne (http://allblacks.com/news/13783/All-Blacks-rampant-in-Melbourne)

New Zealand all but wrapped up the Investec Tri Nations when beating Australia 49-28 in a fast-moving contest at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

New Zealand had secured its bonus point before halftime in a match and to be headed it would have to lose all its remaining games without getting a bonus point.

Outstanding contributions to the win came from captain Richie McCaw, who became the highest scoring All Blacks forward in Tests, fullback Mils Muliaina who scored twice on his 30th birthday, hooker Keven Mealamu was constant menace with the ball in hand while first five-eighths Dan Carter was controlled in his distribution.

Some moments of magic were provided by wing Cory Jane who goes from strength to strength in his development while halfback Piri Weepu was straight back onto his game when replacing the injured Jimmy Cowan.

The game was yet another in the series dominated by yellow cards, but two of them against the Australian try scorer Drew Mitchell resulted in him being sent off in the 43rd minute, his second offence was denying New Zealand the chance for a quick throw-in after an earlier warning had been given by referee Craig Joubert.

New Zealand had lost prop Owen Franks when he was ruled to have shoulder charged Australia's No.8 Richard Brown but conceded only a penalty goal during his absence.

A hint of the type of match to come was seen when Australian first five-eighths Matt Giteau made an early scything break to split the All Blacks's defence with support from James O'Connor. Muliaina got back to break the Australian momentum and allow the defence to muster, but in the process a penalty was conceded which Giteau converted in the fourth minute.

From the restart, however, Australia infringed at a ruck after a break by Cowan and Carter had his first attempt from 45 metres to equalise in the seventh minute.

New Zealand controlled the restart but Carter's clearing kick was charged down and picked up by Mitchell who crossed in the corner. Giteau was unable to convert and Australia led 8-3.

Then in a bizarre case of tit for tat, at the restart, Australian second five-eighths Berrick Barnes had his attempted clearance cut down by Carter, who then shadowed the ball to the line and then picked it up to touch down and convert to give New Zealand a 10-8 lead.

New Zealand gained a turnover when Australian No.8 Richard Brown was caught with the ball and conceded it to flanker Jerome Kaino. The ball was moved by New Zealand with Mealamu and lock Brad Thorn producing good ball for the outside backs.

And then a piece of Jane magic when held on the right flank by Australian flanker Rocky Elsom saw him get a kick away and it was Muliaina who raced through for the bounce and the try, his 27th in Test rugby.

After Franks' sin-binning but the Australians committed the cardinal sin of failing to find touch. New Zealand ran the back and fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper was injured when attempting to tackle wing Joe Rokocoko.

After he was treated the All Blacks kicked to Ashley-Cooper and he was trapped in a spot tackle by centre Conrad Smith. The ball spilled loose and racing around to pick it up was McCaw. He sprinted down the left flank, checked infield and scored.

New Zealand lost Cowan to a rib injury but as both teams were guilty of indiscipline at penalties, and being marched 10m, Australia added another penalty goal while New Zealand looked to apply pressure by kicking into the 22m area. At the lineout lock Tom Donnelly secured the ball and Thorn charged ahead.

The ball was returned blind and Jane scored an audacious try by fending off Brown and then flicking away halfback Will Genia's high tackle attempt to score with Carter again adding the conversion.

Once Mitchell was sent off, New Zealand's scrum gained a tighthead and the way was clear for Muliaina to score his second to go to a 39-14 lead. Australia refused to bow down and went close when flanker David Pocock was unlucky to be denied a try by the TMO. However, reward came moments later when Ashley-Cooper achieved the pay off for a sustained period of Australian attack.

But no sooner had the game restarted than the All Blacks were moving the ball with aplomb again with wing Joe Rokocoko getting across for his 46th Test try.

Scorers:
Australia 28 (Drew Mitchell , Adam Ashley-Cooper, Rocky Elsom tries; Matt Giteau 2 con, 3 pen)
New Zealand 49 (Dan Carter, Mils Muliaina 2, Richie McCaw, Cory Jane, Joe Rokocoko, Corey Flynn tries; Carter 4 con, 2 pen). HT: 32-14

Awesome play from the All Blacks. Fairly certain New Zealand have wrapped up the series, next week's game will hopefully be the final nail in the coffin.

I wonder if any team has ever gone through a whole series without losing even once. New Zealand seems off to a good start, so far...

Aussiegunner
01 Aug 10,, 07:09
I was there and it was an awesome game. Despite the big difference in scores I don't think that racking up 29 points against the All Blacks, including three tries, is anything whatsoever to be ashamed for by the Wallabies. They are a young side who have lost a couple of their big hitters recently, who don't have the same flair as the All Blacks in the back line, and they couldn't compete in the scrum. However, they proved that they can defend and then play a disciplined offensive game they can grind their way to tries.

In the end it was discipline that let them down, with the Mitchell send off being the stand out example, but they can work on that. This on top of the Boks defeat last week bodes well for the World Cup next year. The All Blacks had better be careful of their old mistake of peaking the year before then being over confident when the big one comes around.

On a slightly sour note, I was sitting amongst a bunch of rowdie Kiwis, some of whom booed Advance Australia Fair. I don't mind people booing the opposition but found booing a country's national anthem, especially when they are the host, very disrespectful. Imagine the scandel if we had have turned around and booed the Haka or God Defend New Zealand? Very poor form from my other countrymen I have to say, I didn't know whether to be more embarressed or angry.

Parihaka
07 Aug 10,, 09:51
25 minutes, 3 tries, this is going to be an awesome game

bigross86
07 Aug 10,, 10:26
I'd be watching the game right now if I didn't have to go have lunch with the whole new and extended family in about 10 minutes

HKDan
07 Aug 10,, 12:24
Pari,

I just had a dreadful brain fart and was saved by absent mindedly stopping by WAB. My satellite provider had the match listed at six Shanghai time and in a moment of supreme boneheadedness I didn't engage in critical thinking and realize that they were wrong. I was sitting around surfing the net waiting for six and happened by here where I caught your post about the first half. Disaster averted. I missed the first half and all the tries, but at least I caught some of it. Thank you. Much closer than last week and if Woodcock had been sent off things might have turned out differently. Still, good result.

bigross86
07 Aug 10,, 13:59
All Blacks wrap up Bledisloe Cup (http://allblacks.com/news/13870/All-Blacks-wrap-up-Bledisloe-Cup)

New Zealand ended one bonus point short of claiming the 2010 Tri Nations title but its 20-10 win over Australia in Christchurch ensured its tenure of the Bledisloe Cup will last another season.

It wasn't the prettiest of games, more a battle of attrition in which the All Blacks' defences only yielded a runaway try from uncontrolled ball at the breakdown.

In effect, the All Blacks' line never looked like being breached by an Australian side seemingly more intent on keeping the margin close than having the wherewithal to test the home team in open play.

Australia minimised the chances for the All Blacks to play the game at the pace that has made them so devastating this year. By holding the ball for long periods, in close quarter, one-off driving at rucks, the Australians had more chance of remaining in touch.

But it was the mistakes in potentially good scoring situations that cost it. A classic example was seen when working their way close to the All Blacks line only to be penalised at the ruck five metres out.

The other factor was the highly-effective All Blacks defensive play which shut down many Australian drives.

The load was spread across the team. However, the close-quarter play allowed lock Brad Thorn to thrive while his partner Tom Donnelly was able to show out with some uncharacteristic running play.

It was a situation which called on first five-eighths Dan Carter to play a more tactical role with some outstanding kicking for position, something which his rival Matt Giteau was not able to match, and by comparison his kicking was below par.

Added to that was Carter's superior goal-kicking which saw him land four out of four, including a vital second penalty goal with 10 minutes remaining.

Australia started in the manner expected, keeping ball close and attempting to batter their way through the All Blacks defences. But it was when failing to make any significant ground that it resorted to kicks and on the two occasions it did that in the first seven minutes the All Blacks threw in quickly.

It was the second that produced the first try after a mid-field bust by centre Conrad Smith. Ruck ball was moved for hooker Keven Mealamu to feed wing Joe Rokocoko and he found fullback Mils Muliaina on the sideline along which he raced to score his 29th try.

But after landing the conversion from wide out, Carter attempted to run the ball only to lose the ball in the tackle. It was picked up by Australian flanker David Pocock who linked with lock Nathan Sharpe. He in-passed to fullback Kurtley Beale and he was able to race 60m to score the equaliser with first Giteau adding the conversion.

Four minutes later Carter got it right when worming through the tackle, flipping the ball to halfback Piri Weepu who then spun to second five-eighths Ma'a Nonu and he was able to feed Smith over in the corner.

Carter added the conversion and while Giteau landed a 19th minute penalty goal, Carter added another penalty goal to take New Zealand out to 17-10.

Flanker David Pocock was earnest in his work throughout the night, enjoying a fascinating close-quarter contest with Richie McCaw while blindside leader and flanker Rocky Elsom was forced into a tighter role which didn't allow him his usual rampaging runs. One who did show out in that role was lock Nathan Sharpe.

Scorers:

New Zealand 20 (Mils Muliaina, Conrad Smith tries; Dan Carter 2 con, 2 pen) Australia 10 (Kurtley Beale try; Matt Giteau con, pen). HT: 17-10

Pure awesomeness. The All Blacks have matched their record of beating the Wallabies nine games in a row. With any luck, next month they'll get the chance to set a new record.

Aussiegunner
08 Aug 10,, 13:17
I had 30th birthday duties for a friend to attend to unfortunately so I could only take a peak now and then. What I saw was the Wallabies making stupid frigging mistakes, as usual of late. This team is seriously psyched out and I put a lot of the blame at Robbie Dean's feet. He is too negative in his attitude to playing the All Blacks, especially when they play in NZ. He needs to publicly say that they can win rather than saying how hard it is going to be. I think we need a new coach.

Parihaka
08 Aug 10,, 23:41
I had 30th birthday duties for a friend to attend to unfortunately so I could only take a peak now and then. What I saw was the Wallabies making stupid frigging mistakes, as usual of late. This team is seriously psyched out and I put a lot of the blame at Robbie Dean's feet. He is too negative in his attitude to playing the All Blacks, especially when they play in NZ. He needs to publicly say that they can win rather than saying how hard it is going to be. I think we need a new coach.

While I agree with you about Deans Aussie wasn't all that bad. I had the impression that after last week the AB's were determined to improve on their defence, hence our loosies getting turnover then Carter kicking it straight back for the Aussies to work it back up again. The AB's absolutely had the edge, but not by that much.
Bloody good hard technical game where the main difference was the AB's consistently managed to get by with only committing one or two players to the ruck.

Parihaka
08 Aug 10,, 23:41
Pari,

I just had a dreadful brain fart and was saved by absent mindedly stopping by WAB. My satellite provider had the match listed at six Shanghai time and in a moment of supreme boneheadedness I didn't engage in critical thinking and realize that they were wrong. I was sitting around surfing the net waiting for six and happened by here where I caught your post about the first half. Disaster averted. I missed the first half and all the tries, but at least I caught some of it. Thank you. Much closer than last week and if Woodcock had been sent off things might have turned out differently. Still, good result.

:)) glad to be of help....

HKDan
22 Aug 10,, 06:18
That sure was a close one, but congratulations to the mighty All Blacks on winning the 2010 Tri-Nations. Well done.

bigross86
22 Aug 10,, 09:20
Belief pays off for All Blacks (http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsArticle=14018)

New Zealand kept the belief and had its reward with two tries in the last three minutes to claim a 29-22 win over South Africa, captain Richie McCaw said in Johannesburg after his side also claimed the Investec Tri Nations for 2010.

It was touch and go against a South African side which tackled itself into the ground in a highly-charged atmosphere at the National Stadium in Soweto in front of 90,000 fans who wanted to celebrate Springbok captain John Smit's 100th Test in style.

But the never-say-die attitude which has developed in the All Blacks of 2010 showed through again.

McCaw, a hero himself for scoring the match which tied the game at 22-22 with two minutes left, said: "We hung in there when we were behind and to finish like that is awesome.

"It was touch and go."

However, he said the team kept playing which was what good teams did and opportunities were created because of that.

There had been an itch for several players who suffered the 3-0 defeat at the Springboks' hands last year and they had scratched that.

"It doesn't get any harder than coming to Johannesburg to play the Springboks," he said.

McCaw commiserated with Smit and said he had a lot of respect for the way he played his rugby and it was great to play in his 100th Test, but rugby was a cruel game.

By continuing to believe in what they were doing the All Blacks had noted the wearying legs of the big South African forwards the further the game went. The side had been guilty of not taking some chances earlier in the game and the team had to learn to use the ball at the right time.

The match had shown the All Blacks they could not get carried away with their success.

"We've got to keep improving because if you are not on your game you are going to come second," he said of the abilities of New Zealand's Tri Nations rivals.

Smit said South Africa had worked hard and he had enjoyed the Test but admonished himself for missing a tackle which allowed New Zealand to score.

"We had that game but we let it go. Playing in front of 90,000 supporters was amazing," he said.

Flanker Schalk Burger said the contest had been a typical one against the All Blacks.

But in the later stages the side couldn't get their hands on the ball. There were also times when the bounce of the ball didn't go South Africa's way while New Zealand had committed more numbers and had been very physical in claiming the win.

I suspect Pari may be well in the throes of a quite brutal hangover after celebrating last night

bigross86
22 Aug 10,, 09:28
Late tries give All Blacks dramatic Test (http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsArticle=14016)

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw sparked a stunning revival which saw his side claim a victory over South Africa in the last minute of play with two tries in the last three minutes for a 29-22 win at the National Stadium in Johannesburg on Sunday (NZT).

Down 17-22 with three minutes left, McCaw was on the right flank on his own when receiving the ball with three defenders coming across. He was confident he had grounded the ball but television evidence was needed to see if his foot had been in touch. The evidence was inconclusive and the try was awarded.

First five-eighths Dan Carter was unable to add the conversion but from the re-start the Springboks looked to get into position to attempt a dropped goal, but the ball was turned over and when second five-eighths Ma'a Nonu executed a superb midfield break he set up the chance for a win.

He weighted a perfect, long pass across to replacement wing Israel Dagg and he raced away to score the match, and championship, winner.

New Zealand was able to claim its 10th Investec Tri Nations title and extend its run of winning Tests to 14.

It was a case of All Blacks stamina carrying the day after a final quarter of attack after attack. It was a nervous time and both first five-eighths, Dan Carter for New Zealand and Morne Steyn for South Africa, were guilty of making uncharacteristic mistakes, Carter dropping a catch and Steyn kicking too long.

But, ultimately, it was the All Blacks' desire to keep moving the ball that wore the outstanding South African defence down. They made several key breaks that went close to producing tries before finally getting the formula right.

After Steyn and Carter exchanged two penalty goals each, it was a 24th minute penalty that was tapped by Steyn, in a position where he would normally have kicked for goal, which set up the first genuine try-scoring chance. It was flanker Schalk Burger who drove at the line, was grounded, and then driven over by following lock Flip van der Merwe.

Moments later, Carter landed a penalty goal from 50m to reduce the margin to four points. But when Joe Rokocoko was penalised for blocking halfback Francois Hougaard's kick ahead, Steyn landed his third penalty goal.

Three minutes from halftime the All Blacks gained the ball in midfield from a Springbok knock-on and lock Brad Thorn charged through a gap to set up a chance, the ball was cleared efficiently and after Carter found half a gap it was moved to Nonu, who then found the unlikely pair of lock Tom Donnelly and prop Tony Woodcock on his flank.

The tight forwards handled the situation with aplomb and Woodcock was able to cross the goal-line wide out unopposed to score the try.

Referee Nigel Owen got himself in strife when caught among players and went to ground and play was stopped to allow him to recover.

New Zealand made a messy start to the second half, Donnelly dropped the re-start, and then when Nonu stole ball as the South Africans charged the line, it was Carter who had his kick partially charged and a try-scoring chance was only denied the home team by some clever work at the breakdown by McCaw.

New Zealand conceded a penalty at a resulting scrum and Steyn extended the lead to 19-14.

South Africa's defence proved much more solid as the All Blacks probed for openings throughout the third quarter, the only chance coming when Carter unleashed a stunning blindside break which was only stopped just short of the line. Steyn punished the All Blacks when No.8 Kieran Read joined a maul from the side with a fifth penalty goal.

But after wing Cory Jane also got very close to scoring in a run down the right flank, the Springboks were penalised and Carter pulled New Zealand back within five points.

The Springboks were better served by Juan Smith in the loose, the first time he has played for them this year. He made the breakdown more competitive and that allowed No.8 Pierre Spies more influence than in the two earlier Tests while Schalk Burger was more prominent in the loose as well. Fullback Gio Aplon was a constant menace while new halfback Hougaard was an efficient servant who kept the pressure on.

Scorers:

South Africa 22 (Schalk Burger try; Morne Steyn con, 5 pen) New Zealand 29 (Tony Woodcock, Richie McCaw, Israel Dagg tries; Dan Carter con, 4 pen). HT: 16-14.

HKDan
11 Sep 10,, 13:53
23-22 All Blacks over Wallabies

My poor fingernails...that was a close one! I have said it once and I will say it again, McCaw is an absolute warrior. A modern day Alexander the Great. Tough luck for the Wallabies, they certainly have proven themselves to be worthy foes. A tough side that played hard.

Aussiegunner
11 Sep 10,, 14:02
F*ck! F*ck! F*ck! F*ckity! F*ck! F*ck!

HKDan
11 Sep 10,, 14:28

Two last minute wins in a row might have been too much to ask for. Still, the Wallabies are looking like a serious side going into next year.

Aussiegunner
11 Sep 10,, 14:32
Two last minute wins in a row might have been too much to ask for. Still, the Wallabies are looking like a serious side going into next year.

That is the only consolation. Their discipline improves game by game and they are defending hard, I think they just fell over towards the end this time because they were knackered after the SA trip. They need to find a decent penalty kicker though, Giteau just isn't performing ... he gave up 10 points when only 2 were needed for a win!

HKDan
11 Sep 10,, 14:55
That is the only consolation. Their discipline improves game by game and they are defending hard, I think they just fell over towards the end this time because they were knackered after the SA trip. They need to find a decent penalty kicker though, Giteau just isn't performing ... he gave up 10 points when only 2 were needed for a win!

I entirely agree, exhaustion and poor kicking lost this one for the Wallabies.

Monash
11 Sep 10,, 14:58

My sentiments exactly....

Aussiegunner
30 Oct 10,, 13:06
YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAH!!!!!! Die ten game hoodoo, DIE, and bring on the World Cup!!!