PDA

View Full Version : A Father's Day History

Julie
20 Jun 10,, 13:54
Celebrating Dad for 100 Years

(June 19) -- You could call Sonora Smart Dodd the "Mother of Father's Day." After all, the holiday, celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, was inspired by her.

Dodd's mother died in 1898 during childbirth, leaving her father, William Jackson Smart, to raise Dodd and her five younger brothers (including the newborn baby) on a remote farm near Spokane, Wash. While attending a Mother's Day sermon in 1909, Dodd decided that fathers deserve the same recognition.

Within a year, she -- along with some help from her pastor, the Rev. Conrad Bluhm, the Spokane YMCA and the Ministerial Alliance -- did it: June 19, 1910, was designated as the first Father's Day. Throughout Spokane that day, Sunday sermons were themed around the importance of fatherhood.

By 1924, the holiday had gained some national prominence. President Calvin Coolidge that year recognized Father's Day and made it known that he wanted more states to get involved.

In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed an order proclaiming the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. He even requested that flags on all government buildings be flown that day.

In 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a proclamation permanently observing Father's Day on the third Sunday in June. And today, Father's Day is celebrated in over 50 countries around the globe on various days throughout the year.

All because of a young girl who appreciated her dad's love and wanted to see his efforts acknowledged. William Jackson Smart died in 1919, so he got to celebrate 10 Father's Days with his grateful daughter.

Throughout Spokane, events are planned to celebrate Father's Day, as they always are, but this year is special.

Pam Scott, communication manager for the Spokane Regional Convention and Visitor's Bureau, told AOL News they are taking the centennial seriously.

"Father's Day is such a part of our history, and when you reach a milestone like this, it's a good opportunity to look back, reflect and leverage the history into a truly unforgettable celebration," Scott said.

"We have many special events planned, and locals and visitors alike are encouraged to take part in this special day. We even have Sonora Smart Dodd's granddaughter coming to Spokane from Vienna, Austria."

Dads around Spokane will be toasted with Papa's Pale Ale, a specially crafted beer created by the brew master at Coeur d'Alene Brewing Company and Steam Plant Grill (available only in June this year).

Plus, many events are planned, including tours of the historic Dodd home, a patriotic salute to Father's Day, a Daddy-Daughter Tea, a symphony concert and a historic Father's Day walking tour.

Spokane is a city that proudly and enthusiastically wraps itself in its Father's Day history, providing just the right amounts of preservation and celebration. The city is also gracious when it comes to acknowledging the origin of another Father's Day landmark.

"Back in Fairmont, W.Va., they had a Father's Day in 1908, two years before ours," Scott said. "While it wasn't held regularly each year as Spokane's was, we still honor the sentiment of Grace Clayton."

Clayton had suggested to the pastor of her church that they honor fathers after the nearby 1907 Monongah mine explosion, which killed more than 360 men -- 210 of them fathers. The church complied with Clayton's wishes and, as Scott points out, the holiday failed to gain the traction it did in Spokane.

However, if you happen to be near the Central United Methodist Church in Fairmont on Sunday, know that they do a very nice Father's Day service -- right in the same place where the first ceremony was held.

Father's Day Celebrates 100 Years (http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/fathers-day-celebrates-100-years/19517675?icid=main|compaq-desktop|dl1|link1|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fw eird-news%2Farticle%2Ffathers-day-celebrates-100-years%2F19517675)

Julie
20 Jun 10,, 13:56
Happy Father's Day to all daddy WABbers. :)

bigross86
20 Jun 10,, 15:29
Happy Fathers Day.

In Israel we don't celebrate Father's day. We don't have Mother's day, either. We have "Faimly Day".

That being said, me and my daddy don't get along, him being an asshole and all, so he wouldn't get a present from me, anyway.

crooks
20 Jun 10,, 16:27
Happy Father's day to everyone - I miss my dad a lot, so for everyone lucky enough to have one within reach remember a dad's not just for Father's day, he's for life (a catchly slogan that was on a Father's rights leaflet):)!

Julie
20 Jun 10,, 18:20
Happy Fathers Day.

In Israel we don't celebrate Father's day. We don't have Mother's day, either. We have "Faimly Day".

That being said, me and my daddy don't get along, him being an asshole and all, so he wouldn't get a present from me, anyway.I'm sorry to hear that BG. :(

bigross86
20 Jun 10,, 18:26
That's ok, Julie, I've been seeing my dad an average of 3 weeks a year or less for the past decade. I've more or less come to terms with it by now.

sappersgt
20 Jun 10,, 18:50
Happy Father's Day! I got a phone call, a text and brunch at Outback. Oh yeah, the dog sent me a card! I'm thinking she had help.;):biggrin:

JAD_333
20 Jun 10,, 19:06
Thanks Julie. My daughter called from Pensacola today. Neither of my sons have said a word. One is still sleeping off an all-nighter and the other will think of it later this week.

BTW, I though Hallmark invented Fathers Day along with Secretaries Day and all those other special days that require a card.:biggrin:

Julie
20 Jun 10,, 21:26
Hey, one call out of three isn't bad. The daughters seem to be the ones to remember Fathers Day the most. My daughter bought her present for her dad a week ago, and I had to call my son yesterday to remind him about Father's day so he would get his dad a gift, which is usually how it goes every year. :)

bigross86
20 Jun 10,, 21:37
I dunno bout Fathers Day, I bought my mother's 50th birthday present last December. She just turned 49 this past April. What can I say, in places that aren't Israel you get good deals on stuff before Xmas...

Julie
20 Jun 10,, 23:19
I dunno bout Fathers Day, I bought my mother's 50th birthday present last December. She just turned 49 this past April. What can I say, in places that aren't Israel you get good deals on stuff before Xmas...It's always the thought that counts. :)

bigross86
20 Jun 10,, 23:34
No, I haven't given it to her yet. It's waiting for her 50th.

Her birthstone is diamond, so I got her a very nice (and slightly expensive) diamond necklace and earring combo. I sure do hope she likes it...

Julie
21 Jun 10,, 01:05

Her birthstone is diamond, so I got her a very nice (and slightly expensive) diamond necklace and earring combo. I sure do hope she likes it...She definitely will. ;)

dave lukins
21 Jun 10,, 09:47

Her birthstone is diamond, so I got her a very nice (and slightly expensive) diamond necklace and earring combo. I sure do hope she likes it...

My wife went to Heifa for a weekend break and somehow 'stumbled' into a diamond outlet. That weekend was EXPENSIVE:eek::))

bigross86
21 Jun 10,, 11:56
Be glad she didn't make it to Raman Gan. That's where our real diamond exchange is.

Southie
21 Jun 10,, 13:03
Happy belated Father's Day to all you daddies! I hope you had a wonderful day spent with family and loved ones! :)