My first Battleship!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Battleship!

Over the weekend I was recruited to deliver a fire engine from Texas to Jacksonville, Florida to be shipped to new owners in Argentina. With the ship scheduled to sail in a few days it was a "needs to be there yesterday" kind of trip (no, I couldn't use the lights and siren), but when I realised I'd be passing through Mobile I knew that Customs procedures and loading schedules would have to take a backseat. I was going to visit Alabama!

I'm pretty sure that Alabama was the first museum ship I was aware of as a kid so this was a very important visit to me. My first 'oh wow' moment was in the parking lot just looking at her silhouette rising above the visitors center (moving that off to the side would be nice) but as soon as I set foot aboard, the next three hours was one long 'oh wow' moment.

First I walked the full length the main deck (except for the stern that was roped off while the catapults were being sandblasted). Then, skipping the preset tour, I went inside and started on the lowest deck I could and made my way to the highest point open to the public (01 level I think). My goal was to visit every open space aboard and I think I was successful. One of the most interesting spaces I saw was the weather officer's office on the 02 level. It would have been cramped as a closet and I've seen bigger doors on washing machines but all he had to do was step out to the rail for one of the best views on the ship. One of the most impressive display elements was the way the ammunition handling spaces of turret 1 was opened up below decks. the work that went into that was impressive.

A day later I was standing just as close to a huge RO-RO ship at Blount Island in Jacksonville, and even though it was bigger than Alabama, it had none of the visual impact the battleship did. Looking at some of the newest naval vessels coming into service I'm afraid designers might be forgetting that it is important for a warship to look 'menacing'.

I also visited Drum of course. The sub was terrific but having visited Pampanito several times it was familiar territory. I did notice something odd while on Drum though. At one point I leaned out over the rail and saw that the off-side of the sub looks like it hasn't been painted in years. That was disappointing. Oh, by the way, I got a huge kick out of the propeller nut marked 'U.S.S. DURM'.

Needless to say, three hours was not enough.
    Last edited by Gus00; 11 Jun 10,, 00:59.

Do you know that famous internet protocol?

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

You're not the first to ask if I took any pictures. Having worked as a photojournalist for several years I tend to shy away from lugging a camera along when I'm not getting paid too. I also get to enjoy things more without having to worry about taking pictures. That being very much the case in this instance.

Having scorned them for years I'm beginning to think I might actually have a need for a camera phone after all. If I could just get use to it's limits versus my DSLR.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus00 View Post
        You're not the first to ask if I took any pictures. Having worked as a photojournalist for several years I tend to shy away from lugging a camera along when I'm not getting paid too. I also get to enjoy things more without having to worry about taking pictures. That being very much the case in this instance.

Having scorned them for years I'm beginning to think I might actually have a need for a camera phone after all. If I could just get use to it's limits versus my DSLR.
        Don't feel too bad about that. I know the feeling. I used to do industrial photography myself and developed my own film and photos (never was too good at beautiful model photos as John Schultz [former crewman of USS Iowa] is).

I did most of my work with a twin-lens reflex camera but lately have gone to 35 mm slides for shows at my model train club meetings (when I'm on the road and find old train stations).

This digital photography is way beyond my experience. I have photos stored on my cell phone but have no idea of how to download them on the computer.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus00 View Post

Suggestion - the compact cameras these days like the Nikon Cool-Pix take photos that are surprisingly good, and aren't much bigger than a phone. But I understand where you are coming from as well. When you are off work, the last thing you want to do is more of the same, except for free.

Comment

I also visited Drum of course. The sub was terrific but having visited Pampanito several times it was familiar territory.

*Always loved her mural Pampanito (SS-383) and paintjob for the movie "Down Periscope" with Kelsey Grammer. Masquerading as SS-161 Stingray
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 11 Jun 10,, 15:53.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Wouldn't that look great on the back of a bomber jacket.

(gosh, I just re-read my post. I should have gotten more sleep before I wrote it )

Comment

Working...
              X