PDA

View Full Version : US Government has an anti-conspiracy website

ZekeJones
10 Jun 10,, 21:50
All I can say is WTF.
Can anyone think of a legitimate reason for the US Government to have a site that debunks conspiracy theories?
Also, not sure if this should go in the pub or American Politics or even the Imagery and propaganda thread.

gunnut
10 Jun 10,, 21:52
Don't read it. It's a conspiracy.

omon
10 Jun 10,, 21:52
can you post a link?

bigross86
10 Jun 10,, 21:54
It has an anti-conspiracy website to debunk all the false ones so you won't pay attention to the real ones taking place right under your nose

sappersgt
10 Jun 10,, 21:59
by ZekeJones
Can anyone think of a legitimate reason for the US Government to have a site that debunks conspiracy theories?

I'm sure Glen will come up with a reason but gunnut said it best...;):))

by gunnut

ZekeJones
10 Jun 10,, 22:16
Doh! Here's the link -

Conspiracy Theories and Misinformation - America.gov (http://www.america.gov/conspiracy_theories.html)

dalem
11 Jun 10,, 01:42

You fool! That's just what they want you to think!

-dale

Bigfella
11 Jun 10,, 02:31
I think Zeke starting a thread on an anti-conspiracy website is actually part of a conspiracy to make us think the anti-conspiracy website isn't part of a conspiracy...or perhaps it is....cr@p, now I'm confused. :))

ZekeJones
11 Jun 10,, 03:44
This me wonder, has the US Government started to cater to the lowest common denominator by having this site. Is it an example of what is to come?

Or going on the conspiracy angle, they are tracking IPs to make it easier to round up potential dissidents for the FEMA camps.

Julie
11 Jun 10,, 04:58
Economic conspiracy theories are often based on the false, but popular, idea that powerful individuals are motivated overwhelmingly by their desire for wealth, rather than the wide variety of human motivations we all experience. (This one-dimensional, cartoonish view of human nature is at the heart of Marxist ideology, which once held hundreds of millions under its sway.)Hmmm, is this why Obama calls CEOs "fatcats?" Does that make Obama a Marxist? :confused: Please say it isn't so ! :mad:

ZekeJones
11 Jun 10,, 05:33
Hmmm, is this why Obama calls CEOs "fatcats?" Does that make Obama a Marxist? :confused: Please say it isn't so ! :mad:

Nah, that's code for Jews running everything.
Which is wrong since the Reptilians are the ones running the show.

Parihaka
11 Jun 10,, 05:39
It's all true. Everything.

dalem
11 Jun 10,, 06:23
It's all true. Everything.

Even the lies?

-dale

Parihaka
11 Jun 10,, 06:26
Even the lies?

-dale

Especially the lies

Chogy
11 Jun 10,, 13:28
Two things make me sad... that there is such a .gov website at all, and the fact that the explanations were essentially dumbed down to a sixth-grade level, which in itself, speaks volumes about the target audience.

Pick your favorite... mine is "The HIV virus was made in a U.S. lab to target black people." This tends to crumble to dust when you point out that cases of AIDS have been traced back to before Watson and Crick. Prety hard to make a virus when you haven't even discovered DNA yet.

gunnut
14 Jun 10,, 19:23
Even the lies?

-dale

Especially the lies

All of a sudden the Star Trek episode "I, Mudd" just flashed across my mind...

dalem
14 Jun 10,, 19:39
All of a sudden the Star Trek episode "I, Mudd" just flashed across my mind...

Norman! Coordinate!

-dale

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 19:49
So glad I wasn't/am not a Trekkie.

Star Wars, on the other hand...

dalem
14 Jun 10,, 21:13
Star Wars and Star Trek appeal to many of the same tastes.

From a certain point of view.

-dale

astralis
14 Jun 10,, 21:36
dale,

Star Wars and Star Trek appeal to many of the same tastes.

i donno, star wars is like star trek with 100% more explosions and 50% less thinking.

Roosveltrepub
14 Jun 10,, 21:41
BSG>all

and I get accused of drifting off subject :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

gunnut
14 Jun 10,, 21:42
WbJ-y6BWfUc

gunnut
14 Jun 10,, 21:43
BSG>all

and I get accused of drifting off subject :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

Nah...I have the title of thread hijacker of the forum. :tongue:

Maybe I should request to have my description changed from "senior contributor" to "senior thread hijacker."

By the way, I hate the new BSG. I was rooting for the cylons since the middle of the 2nd season.

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 22:14
I dunno, light sabers just seem so much cooler then phasers, and X-wings are just plain awesome.

gunnut
14 Jun 10,, 22:18
I dunno, light sabers just seem so much cooler then phasers, and X-wings are just plain awesome.

X-wing vs Type IX shuttle craft...

Can you imagine a shuttle craft pilot taking a holo image of himself posing in front of his ride and says to his girl friend back home, "Hey baby, check out that bad boy!"

Now, the X-wing pilot...

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 22:31
Dude, even shuttle against shuttle Star Wars wins: Type IX shuttle craft < Tyderian (Lambda class)

One is sleek, sexy and just looks plain awesome with a touch of sinister in it. The other one looks like a slightly flattened frog.

Parihaka
14 Jun 10,, 22:36
Oh come on...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41f1CPFwbWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CL/CLC/m113/images/m113.gif

The development is obvious

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 22:38
That doesn't change the fact the the Lambda class looks better

Parihaka
14 Jun 10,, 22:39
As opposed to

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/american-politics/21188d1276551098-us-government-has-anti-conspiracy-website-2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/%2783-%2787_Honda_Prelude.jpg

gunnut
14 Jun 10,, 22:44
Also, the blasters in Star Wars are like guns, stuff that we can relate to.

Phasers in Star Trek, at least the later ones, are like dustbusters.

No comparison. I wouldn't want to be caught dead pointing at someone with my dustbuster.

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 22:50
And to top it all off, Han Solo was so much more of a badass then anyone you could even think of in Star Trek

Officer of Engineers
14 Jun 10,, 23:04
James T Kirk got all the women.

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 23:07
Han Solo got the princess. Besides, General Solo outranks Captain Kirk

Officer of Engineers
14 Jun 10,, 23:12
Han Solo got the princess. Besides, General Solo outranks Captain KirkSo did Kirk and Kirk was an Admiral who fought real men in hand-to-hand, not rely on teddy bears.

bigross86
14 Jun 10,, 23:18
I'd like to see you call Chewbacca a teddy bear to his face.

gunnut
14 Jun 10,, 23:39
And to top it all off, Han Solo was so much more of a badass then anyone you could even think of in Star Trek

Not Kirk.

Kirk once ordered the destruction of an entire planet if the hostages (including himself) were not released by his deadline.

A Taste of Armageddon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon)

Officer of Engineers
15 Jun 10,, 00:01
I'd like to see you call Chewbacca a teddy bear to his face.Chewie is a walking carpet. I'm refering to the Ewoks. I mean, come on, just what kind of troops are you that you can't take on ... or have to rely on a bunch of teddy bears with bows and arrows?

tankie
15 Jun 10,, 00:27
James T Kirk got all the women.

Hah not as many as i did when i boldly went where no man had gone before :tongue::biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
15 Jun 10,, 00:35
Hah not as many as i did when i boldly went where no man had gone before :tongue::biggrin:Yeah, but no man ever wanted to go there in the 1st place.