PDA

View Full Version : The People's Republic of Portland

xinhui
08 Jun 10,, 19:58
Business at Red and Black Cafe in Southeast Portland increases after police officer turned away
By Lynne Terry, The Oregonian
June 07, 2010, 9:00PM

Business at Red and Black Cafe in Southeast Portland increases after police officer turned away | OregonLive.com (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/business_increases_at_southeas.html)

redblack.jpgView full sizeBeth Nakamura/The OregonianJohn Langley, one of the co-owners of Red and Black Cafe in Southeast Portland (in tie), held a news conference Monday to address concerns over his decision to ask Officer James Crooker of the Portland Police Bureau to leave the cafe. On hand to support Langley were members of Rose City Copwatch. From left are Eli Shannon and Chris Knudtsen of Rose City Copwatch; and Ari Perezdiez and Langley of the cafe. Showing a policeman the door turned out -- inadvertently -- to be a good business decision for the Red and Black Cafe in Southeast Portland.

The vegan establishment was deluged with customers in the two days after news came out last week that one of the co-owners had served coffee to a Portland police officer, then kicked him out.

"We had a couple of really busy days over the weekend," said John Langley, the co-owner who served Officer James Crooker and asked him to leave. "We had two $1,100 days, which is maybe double a typical day."

The story sparked a fiery response, with national coverage and about 600 comments posted on oregonlive.com. Along with a boost in customers, the cafe has received five threats of arson and other violence.

Many people also expressed outrage at Langley's treatment of Crooker, who's received an outpouring of support on the streets.

All that after buying a quick coffee on May 18. Crooker was walking out of the cafe when he was approached by a customer, Cornelia Seigneur, who said she appreciated the work of Portland police. Langley, who was watching, said seeing a uniformed officer in the cafe made him uncomfortable. So he went up and asked Crooker to leave, which he did.

And that was that, until Seigneur blogged about it, and the story went viral.

Langley said that most of the criticism has come from people threatening never to eat at the cafe. "I think most of those folks are people who had never or would never come to the restaurant," he said.

The cafe hasn't suffered any vandalism or any other attacks, and Langley doesn't expect any, either. "It would be highly ironic if there were because the folks who are the most upset about this are presumably those who are in support of the police," he said, "so it would be weird for them to commit crimes."

Although business has picked up, some customers voiced support for police. "I wouldn't even think twice about it if a police officer came in here for a bite, maybe to make sure things are running OK," said Stacey Tran, who lives in the neighborhood and was at the cafe Monday. "That's part of their job. It's what our tax dollars go toward."

Online commenters have asked what the cafe's seven co-owners would do if they were attacked. Call the police?

"I don't think we are trying to be purists about it," Langley said. "We would prefer that there be some practical alternative to police like community forums for restorative justice, for example."

At a news conference Monday, Langley rejected criticism that he had discriminated against the officer. "In no way does this compare to racial profiling or racism," he said. "A person can choose to be a police officer but a person of color cannot."

Langley said earlier that many of the customers in the cafe, which draws vegans and environmental and animal rights activists, have been victims of harsh police tactics and were worried about police shootings.

A member of Rose City Copwatch, a police monitoring group, backed up that sentiment at the news conference, saying in a statement that Portland police are focused on arresting people "to maintain a status quo that is built along race, class and gender lines."

Still, Langley said police officers are welcome in the cafe out of uniform. "It's not personal," he said.

Nor did Crooker take the incident to heart. In fact, the reaction has been heartening, he said.

He's received calls from police officers from New York and Washington state offering to buy him, even the entire bureau, coffee. Portlanders have approached him on the street offering to treat him to coffee as well.

"Every single police officer in the area has been receiving the same love from the citizens and that's heartwarming," Crooker said.

None of his colleagues is angry about the incident, he said.

"I don't know of any police officers who have any ill will towards the cafe owner or anyone who's involved in this," Crooker said. "Hopefully everyone walks away from this graciously with the lessons that life has taught us and nobody has any bad feelings about anything."

S2
08 Jun 10,, 20:05
Dim sum was good at Ocean City though. Wasn't vegan though. Nope.:biggrin:

"Online commenters have asked what the cafe's seven co-owners would do if they were attacked. Call the police?

'I don't think we are trying to be purists about it,' Langley said. 'We would prefer that there be some practical alternative to police like community forums for restorative justice, for example.'"

Practical alternative, eh?:rolleyes:

xinhui
08 Jun 10,, 20:11
if you smoke enough of those "stuff' at the cafe, you will became peaceful too. No police involvement needed.

gunnut
08 Jun 10,, 21:42
No wonder, it's a vegan restaurant. I can understand the owner is uncomfortable seeing a pig at the establishment.

bigross86
08 Jun 10,, 23:15
A couple months ago there was a soldier in uniform with his girlfriend who was "kindly" requested to leave a restaurant in Haifa. The restaurant said that they welcome soldiers, police and border patrol, just not in uniform. Whoever is in uniform won't be served and will be requested to leave.

There were protests outside the restaurant, they had their license revoked and then were shut down for operating without a license. The police also started a criminal investigation against them for discrimination.

xinhui
09 Jun 10,, 04:33
No cop in this restaurant either

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0zJSgHDnpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0zJSgHDnpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

highsea
09 Jun 10,, 05:18
I saw that story on the news the other day. Portland has one of everyone, I have to say.

We do have some asshole cops. I was sitting outside a bar one night getting some air, and one came up and threatened to tase me if I didn't get back inside.

I couldn't believe it, I hadn't said a word.

bonehead
10 Jun 10,, 05:48
There are a few reasons why I would choose death before living in Portland. The cops/city government, and all the freaky deviant types who think they are some how superior to the public at large, are at the top 2 of the list. The God awful traffic being third. I have seen a cop throw his cigarette on the ground while writing a littering citation. I loved it when Portland's finest were routinely caught napping in their cruisers by the local news. Then there is the disgraceful, "drag races" That Portland was famous for. Two guys who had been partying all night, dressed in drag, including heals and way past a 5 o-clock shadow, racing down the street to order coffee and bring it back to a radio station. All these freaks and more come out of the woodwork for the current Rose Parade celebration.

xinhui
10 Jun 10,, 07:06
still better than this people's republic

bigross86
10 Jun 10,, 12:52
What's the problem? Hot girl, loads of cash. The only thing wrong that I see with this picture is that she's smoking. I hate kissing girls that smoke. It's like licking an ashtray...

That, and she's wearing sunglasses indoors.

gunnut
10 Jun 10,, 18:24
There are a few reasons why I would choose death before living in Portland. The cops/city government, and all the freaky deviant types who think they are some how superior to the public at large, are at the top 2 of the list. The God awful traffic being third. I have seen a cop throw his cigarette on the ground while writing a littering citation. I loved it when Portland's finest were routinely caught napping in their cruisers by the local news. Then there is the disgraceful, "drag races" That Portland was famous for. Two guys who had been partying all night, dressed in drag, including heals and way past a 5 o-clock shadow, racing down the street to order coffee and bring it back to a radio station. All these freaks and more come out of the woodwork for the current Rose Parade celebration.

Are you sure that wasn't San Francisco?

bonehead
11 Jun 10,, 06:20
Are you sure that wasn't San Francisco?

The similarities are scary. Portland even has a state representative who would screw the 2nd amendment at the drop of a hat, Ginny Birdick, and a gay mayor, Sam Adams. I guess you could call Portland "Frisco lite" Makes me sick though. Hopefully there are enough sane people there to stem the tide. Once you get outside of the greater Portland area most of the people are normal. I keep hoping for the big natural disaster to hit so Portland would be torn down and we can try again. Take the new I-5 bridge over the Columbia. Any sane individual calls it a no brainer. You build the most lanes possible and allow for future increase in travel while accommodating mass transportation, ie lite rail. The Portland idiots are trying to keep the new bridge the same under capacity as the old bridge while they lament over artistic value and... drum roll, INCREASED TRAFFIC. Here is a clue for the Portland Idiots. You get an increase in people living or driving through Portland, you get more traffic. That is how it works. BUILD THE FRICKEN BRIDGE ALREADY BEFORE YOU LOSE THE FEDERAL FUNDING. I'm not going to put the bridge in an art museum, I am going to drive over the thing. Wanna make it beautiful?, then show me some empty lanes for driving room on the bridge because to commuters that is the most beautiful thing.

RustyBattleship
11 Jun 10,, 07:01
The only thing about Portland I hated was the multitude of bridges and freeway interchanges. A couple of times I stretched my limits of tolerance driving through Portland with a 3/4 ton International Harvester truck towing a 15 foot camping trailer.

I was never so happy when the "detour" past Lake Oswego was built.

tbm3fan
11 Jun 10,, 07:16
"I don't think we are trying to be purists about it," Langley said. "We would prefer that there be some practical alternative to police like community forums for restorative justice, for example."

Who ya gonna call, Ghost Busters?

bonehead
11 Jun 10,, 14:59
The only thing about Portland I hated was the multitude of bridges and freeway interchanges. A couple of times I stretched my limits of tolerance driving through Portland with a 3/4 ton International Harvester truck towing a 15 foot camping trailer.

I was never so happy when the "detour" past Lake Oswego was built.

Sorry Rusty but they screwed that pooch as well. The "detour" was given too many on/off ramps so it has become a parking lot when you need it the most.

S2
11 Jun 10,, 15:27
Portland traffic can be maddening. This discussion hasn't even included the Sunset Highway out through Beaverton and Hillsboro. Still, I haven't seen any different in San Francisco, Seattle, or Vancouver either.

Chokepoints, rivers, and/or harbor bays make it what it is in all of these cities.

highsea
11 Jun 10,, 23:06
Thing about Seattle is there are alternate routes. You don't have to take the interstate. I knew how to get around and avoid the worst congestion, even during the afternoon rush. If I-5 is packed, you can take 99 or 5th Ave. Going south, you can take 99, 167, or Interurban.

Portland, there's no way to avoid it. You can't get across town in the afternoon to get to 205, and I-5 is a parking lot from 2 to 7 every day. Even weekends are a hassle going north.

It's the same thing every day- you hit the Interstate bridge doing 20 and by the time you are on the Washington side you are doing 60. Coming south, hit the bridge at 60 and get off doing 20. That 6 mile stretch between the river and 405 interchange- 2 frickin lanes. They've been working on it for 3 years. How long does it take to add one lane of highway on a 6 mile stretch? :mad:

Instead we get bicycle lanes and trams to nowhere. It's impossible to get freight in and out of town.

They want to spend some crazy amount like $6 Billion on a new bridge, but the plan is to have the same 3 lanes each way on the new bridge. Oh, but it will have a light rail line....:rolleyes:

bonehead
12 Jun 10,, 17:47
Portland traffic can be maddening. This discussion hasn't even included the Sunset Highway out through Beaverton and Hillsboro. Still, I haven't seen any different in San Francisco, Seattle, or Vancouver either.

Chokepoints, rivers, and/or harbor bays make it what it is in all of these cities.

Portland does not need a natural choke point to mess up traffic. One of the worse offenders is to put a busy on ramp about a couple hundred yards ahead of a busy off ramp. Trying to get a bunch of cars on and off the highway in such a short amount of space is insane. I once made the mistake of taking the 26-217-I5 route home from Intel. Do to the metered on ramps it took 12 min to even get on to 26 which was stop and go all the way to 217 which went a bit faster for about a mile. It took another hour to do the other 6 miles to I-5. Of course, by then I-5 was slow until south of wilsonville. After that the cops were out to make sure you did not make up for any lost time. I still feel violated by that trip and I want my 3 hours back. I have since found a much faster which I am keeping to myself. I can usually get home before others can get to gresham.

So far my worse commute by far was through Seattle. Every friday afternoon I made the trip from Boeing (Everett) to Oregon. I was going to try the ferry and go down the west side of the sound. I made a dry run on Mon and Wed, both were good. On Friday the closest I could get to the ferry was a sign that said "if you are here you are 2.5 hours away from boarding". WTF!!??? Seriously. WTF. 99 was not going anywhere so I was stuck on I-5, for 4 hours. Just south of Seattle the traffic began to open up but the locals could not bare it so they side swiped each other and stopped in the middle lanes of I-5 to exchange info. After getting around that I got behind a breakdown. I was two cars behind a Porche that dropped a tranny. The driver of the car behind the Porshe offered to push the car to the side of the road for safety and ease of traffic, but the Porshe owner started yelling that no one but his mechanic is allowed to even touch his beloved Porche. Then the other guy replied, "You mean this.... hand built Volkswagon?" and the fight was on... in the middle of the highway, and I was stuck behind it. That traffic carried all the way to Centralia. 9 hour commute. I can do that same trip in 3.5 hours with out traffic.
From then on out I started skirting the Seattle area from the East. You have to drive by all the banjo playing towns, including the horse effer town, AKA the reason the state of Washington now has anti bestiality laws, and you get to see the green river area, but at least the traffic moved at better than a glacial pace.

xinhui
13 Jun 10,, 22:10
two words -- pink martini