John Wooden Has Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wooden Has Died

John Wooden has passed away just months short of his 100th birthday. He was an absolute giant of the collegiate basketball world, it's coaching fraternity, and the larger coaching fraternity extending into other sports.

I watched his teams from 1966 until 1975 so saw a bevy of remarkable talents go through his program. I missed the earlier championship teams with Walt Hazzard, Gail Goodrich, and Keith Erickson but they re-defined the full-court pressing and fast-break styles despite Erickson playing center at 6'5".

A remarkable and humble man whom I truly believe wasn't aware of the swirl of cheating orchestrated behind the scenes by Sam Gilbert. I can't imagine that he'd have permitted it had he known. I also believe he'd readily have fallen on his sword if aware.

I'll miss him. My condolences to his family and many, many friends throughout the coaching, basketball, and larger world.

John Wooden Passes Away-L.A. Times
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Rest in Peace John.A true giant of the college basketball world and a good man gone.
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Condolences to a good man's family and friends.

Comment

Working...
      X