PDA

View Full Version : Officer of Engineers stepping down

TopHatter
29 May 10,, 20:23
It is with profound reluctance that I announce that Officer of Engineers has decided to step down as a Moderator of the World Affairs Board.

While gifts (or bribes, if you will) of single-malt were offered by the tractor-trailer load, we were unable to persuade him to remain a member of the Society of Righteous and Harmonious Moderators.

On behalf of the Staff, I want to thank the Colonel for his time and efforts as a Moderator. He stepped in during a time of need and gave of himself to our humble corner of the Internet, with exemplary results.

Again, thank you Sir, and enjoy your well-earned rest.

bigross86
29 May 10,, 20:28
Colonel, thankx for all the good work and putting up with all of our crap. Especially thankx for not banning me and Yellowbelly, we probably deserved it once or a dozen times or so....

Now that you're not a Mod, feel free to come join in our festivities. Have you checked out the Man Rules thread yet?

Simullacrum
29 May 10,, 20:30
Sorry to hear the Colonel stepping down. He is a good and respectable man an inspiration to these here forums with his experience and knowledge.
Hope he is able to still be here and contribute to the discussions.

Mihais
29 May 10,, 20:42
And I was wondering what on Earth could ruin a perfect day.

S2
29 May 10,, 20:54
"And I was wondering what on Earth could ruin a perfect day."

Colonel,

It's been a rare privilege to share time here and learn from you. Very, very much so.

Julie
29 May 10,, 21:21
You've found someone else haven't you? :mad:

Just kidding....you will still be around won't you ? :confused:

It goes without saying you will be missed. :frown:

dave lukins
29 May 10,, 21:22
OoE is a mod's mod and a friend to all on WAB. This is sad news indeed and I'm sure we all wish him well for the future. His predecessor has huge shoes to fill.

Colonel. I raise a glass of Malt and salute your service to us all.

Stitch
29 May 10,, 22:56
OMG, no!

He has been a much respected presence on this forum and, seeing as how I'm fairly new, I can't remember a time when he was NOT around. I'm not sure what we will do without his steadying hand, I can only hope we survive the transition (enough hyperbole already?).

OoE, you will be missed; we will miss both your wit and your wisdom.

BD1
29 May 10,, 23:11
i hope the reason for this was not something serious.
But anyway my best wishes to you, Sir

Sumku
30 May 10,, 00:21
OOE,
Cannot but put to words how much your services would be missed here.
I am sure that you are not leaving WAB...are you?

Being a Mod calls for a lot of dedication as concerns time and energy and being able to cope with ppl like me and in this aspect your services would be missed here.

I am sure your friend Mr. Ray, even though cannot post here, would be equally sad

TH:Be generous in Gift man, offer him multiple tractor-trailer load of those.

sappersgt
30 May 10,, 01:44
I...well, you already know. Thank you, Sir!

Officer of Engineers
30 May 10,, 02:28
I guess a few words are in order. People, I am just tired lately and I have other things on the go that demands my attention a lot more than I am capable of monitoring this forum. It has been a pleasure and an honour doing so ... though you have no idea how hard it was not to ban the lot of you for posting SWSNBN items, especially one former jarhead GS.

WAB has to slip lower on my priority list right now and it would not be fair to the rest of the Staff if I held the title but no longer did the work. I am also somewhat tired and no longer have the energy to hold the robust debates that I so enjoyed.

I am not saying goodbye to WAB but I have to let go the moderation.

With many thanks to all. This board made itself. Generally, we follow, not lead the discussion.

Tronic
30 May 10,, 02:35
As long as you're still with WAB im happy.

Bigfella
30 May 10,, 02:41
sad to hear that the scourge of fanbois on the China forum will no longer be wielding the big stick. Glad to hear you won't be leaving us.

troung
30 May 10,, 04:11
:frown: shocking :frown:

As long as you still are able to make some time to be here I will be happy :)

Debbie
30 May 10,, 04:57
Colonel am glad you are sticking around to tell us of your sorted stories of Chez Mondo. :))

chakos
30 May 10,, 05:58
So who do we feed the fanboys/undesirables too now???

Thanks for the service OOE.

Dreadnought
30 May 10,, 06:53
OOE Sir, Its been a pleasure Sir. I do hope you will remain among the WAB none the less. You have been great sharing experiences, moderating and tossin the trolls out on their asses. May your malt never run dry! Cheers Sir!:redface:

Officer of Engineers
30 May 10,, 08:12
Colonel am glad you are sticking around to tell us of your sorted stories of Chez Mondo. :))Debbie, how do I explain this to you. I am thankful for deliberate memory loss.

Mohan
30 May 10,, 09:11
Its sad that your are stepping down. We will miss you in the mods role and we learnt a lot from you sir.:(

bolo121
30 May 10,, 09:13
Glad you're still sticking around OOE, even if you are hanging up your ban stick.

Triple C
30 May 10,, 15:03
Thank you Colonel!

Yusuf
30 May 10,, 15:37
Sad to hear about it. Wish you well sir. Good to hear you will still be peeping in here. Though I am not a regular here now, I do read your posts here. Thanks for everything Sir.

tankie
30 May 10,, 15:52
Hang on in there Col ,;)

667medic
30 May 10,, 16:02
Well, atleast you are not leaving the board.....

Robert W
30 May 10,, 17:20
Sir,

As one that reads these pages to "learn" more so than to debate I would like to thank you for your deep perspective on a wide range of topics and for a steady "hand" in a very diverse form of discussion That I know can be difficult due to the "stealth" of the participants.
Again Thank you,

Shamus
30 May 10,, 18:21
Colonel,where do I start?You more than anyone else on the board have had an influence on the way I perceive the world,politics,military matters and life in general.Your wit and wisdom make the WAB a better place.Your service as a moderator has been exemplary to say the least.The combination of toughness and your sense of fair play is a model for the rest of us to do our best to emulate.I will miss having you as a moderator but at the same time I am grateful that you will still be here as a revered member of our community.I as much as anyone understand when life gets in the way.I salute you sir,for your service to your country,to the WAB as a moderator and I sincerely thank you for the positive influence you have had on me as a person.

Gun Grape
30 May 10,, 18:23
. though you have no idea how hard it was not to ban the lot of you for posting SWSNBN items, especially one former jarhead GS.

I would have banned that smart arse poster. To bad the description is so vague:biggrin: It would have been less traumatic than the Anne Murry videos.

WAB has to slip lower on my priority list right now and it would not be fair to the rest of the Staff if I held the title but no longer did the work. I am also somewhat tired and no longer have the energy to hold the robust debates that I so enjoyed.

Lower on you list. I hope that doesn't mean you won't be around much.

Thank you for the job you have been doing as a mod. Bravo Zulu.

Tarek Morgen
30 May 10,, 19:23
I would have assumed that tptb would have amessed enough material in the years to blackmail OoE into staying pretty much forever.

Julie
31 May 10,, 03:44
Debbie, how do I explain this to you. I am thankful for deliberate memory loss.That event is etched so deeply in all wabbits' memory sir.....so we will gladly remind you of it when need be. :biggrin:

Parihaka
31 May 10,, 06:58
Colonel,where do I start?You more than anyone else on the board have had an influence on the way I perceive the world,politics,military matters and life in general.Your wit and wisdom make the WAB a better place.Your service as a moderator has been exemplary to say the least.The combination of toughness and your sense of fair play is a model for the rest of us to do our best to emulate.I will miss having you as a moderator but at the same time I am grateful that you will still be here as a revered member of our community.I as much as anyone understand when life gets in the way.I salute you sir,for your service to your country,to the WAB as a moderator and I sincerely thank you for the positive influence you have had on me as a person.

As usual you express things sooner and much better than I can, so I'll just add ditto. OoE was the reason I stuck around here at the beginning, and he's the best teacher I've ever had.

As regards everyone else thinking he no longer carries a big stick, just remember he has my ear. SWSNBN posts will still be frowned upon;)

YellowFever
31 May 10,, 07:27
Thankyou, Colonel for the fine job you've done as a mod over the years and thankyou especially for being a good sport wrt to SWSNBN. :)

I still hope you keep posting here on WAB because although I rarely mention it, it's been a privilege and one hell of a learning experince to read your posts wrt NATO and and especially China.

Thankyou.

Jason

S2
31 May 10,, 07:58
"...it's been a privilege and one hell of a learning experince to read your posts wrt NATO and and especially China."

Ain't that the truth...:)

Dreadnought
31 May 10,, 08:05
Hmmm OOE, Stepping down? Celine Dion pregnant with twins? Both being from Canada? Hmmmmm, ofcoase with all due repect Colonel Sir, 1+1 does indeed equal two. I'd demand to see the Paternity tests!.:eek::eek::eek:

Quick, get them both on the "no fly" list and make sure the two of them arent making some mad dash for China and some cozy love nest in the hills.:));)

INCOMING!:eek:;):))

Dreadnought
31 May 10,, 08:05
"...it's been a privilege and one hell of a learning experince to read your posts wrt NATO and and especially China."

Ain't that the truth...:)

In full agreement there!:cool:

Deltacamelately
31 May 10,, 08:08
Colonel Sir,

I am willing to present myself fully dressed at your dining table, if that can make you change your mind.

Hope you keep chewing the "gullibles" even while not moderating.
You are just too Good not to missed. My sincerest regards Sir.

HKDan
31 May 10,, 08:46
Sir,

Thank you for making WAB a place where a poor fool like myself can do some learnin'

Gun Grape
31 May 10,, 19:06
As regards everyone else thinking he no longer carries a big stick, just remember he has my ear. SWSNBN posts will still be frowned upon;)

Guess we will have to change to "The Kiwi Version of SWSNBN"

Crocodylus
31 May 10,, 23:02
We could've asked some of the other mods to impose stop-loss, but I guess that's not an option :P

Thanks for your time here as moderator. Hopefully you will continue to contribute your wisdom and experience to the WAB :)

Officer of Engineers
01 Jun 10,, 02:51
Why are you guys kissing my ass now that I'm no longer a mod?

citanon
01 Jun 10,, 04:39

They are just setting you up for later. ;)

Glad you are sticking around Col. You're the reason I first came to the board. :)

Mihais
01 Jun 10,, 07:02
Old habits die hard:biggrin:

Julie
02 Jun 10,, 00:47
Why are you guys kissing my ass now that I'm no longer a mod?Because now you're one of them...I mean one of us...uh...dammit...you know what I mean. :biggrin:

S2
02 Jun 10,, 00:52
Colonel,

"Why are you guys kissing my ass now that I'm no longer a mod?"

Uhh...because you're still a colonel and colonels are scary people.:biggrin:

zraver
02 Jun 10,, 00:53

Proof that its respect of the person, not the rank in your case.

Parihaka
02 Jun 10,, 00:56
Proof that its respect of the person, not the rank in your case.

:smooch:

ArmchairGeneral
02 Jun 10,, 02:27
Seems like a celebratory- err, *ahem* honorary- food fight is in order, no?

Albany Rifles
02 Jun 10,, 05:36
I jumped to the lastpost to add this.

Sir, I will miss your measuered professionalism.

Your spot on comments on a myriad of subjects.

Your fine defense of the North American Trooper.

Your bone deep appreciation of service personnel of every stripe doing their tough job.

Your immense knowledge of history.

Your stories of Chez Mado...

Last Post may not be the most appropriate tune....but that is what comes to mind.

Sir, you will be missed.

If you so desire, contact me at 43nyvi@gmail.com

Fair winds and Godspeed.