• Show
Clear All

• Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company

BBC News - Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company
    Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company

Page last updated at 11:52 GMT, Thursday, 27 May 2010 12:52 UK

* E-mail this to a friend
    * Printable version

Apple apps plus Steve Jobs Apple's innovations have inspired a vast following

Apple has pushed past arch-rival Microsoft to become the world's biggest technology company.

Changes in the share price values of the two in Wednesday's choppy trading left the total value of Apple at $222bn (£154bn).

Microsoft is now valued by investors at $219bn.

However, Microsoft still enjoys higher profits than Apple. Its most recent annual net profit was $14.6bn (£10bn), compared with $5.7bn for Apple.

Microsoft also reported bigger full-year revenues of $58.4bn, with Apple on $36.5bn.

Apple's shares closed Wednesday trading down 0.4% at $244.11, while Microsoft fell by 4% to $25.01.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Congratulations to Apple, it doesn't mean much in practicality but for anyone who was around from the very begining of the two it must be a sweet moment.

It's also interesting to see Apple's shares are worth 10 times MS', is it the image of Apple as a better, cooler company (let's face it, people like 'em much more) or a genuinely better financial outlook?
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

It's mainly due to the difference between the two, Apple does a lot more hardware than MS. Aside from the Zune and a couple other things, MS has limited itself pretty much to Windows and Office and other programs, and internet stuff. Apple does OS and software and all that, and also does the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc...

And to my detriment (i fcuking hate them) and to the joy of Steve Jobs, iPad's and iPhones are freaking everywhere
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Microsoft stock actually pays dividend.

Apple is a far worse monopoly than Microsoft had ever been.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Microsoft stock actually pays dividend.

Apple is a far worse monopoly than Microsoft had ever been.
          My car didn't have an Aux cable input, so I wanted to buy a radio transmitter that fit into my MP3's 3.5mm jack. I went into Target, Dick Smith, JB Hi-Fi (2 Aussie electronic stores) and the only ones they had were radio transmitters with iPod connectors. I went to 4 smaller stores before I found a store that sold one with a 3.5mm jack. That alone has earned Steve Jobs my undying hatred. iPod's are everywhere. My main beef with iPods is that you can only sync them with one computer. I've got a Creative Zen Vision W and wherever you plug it in the only thing you need is Windows. It works like a portable Hard Drive and you don't need any special programs, either.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I don't have a single Apple product

Comment

Me neither. My mother got an iPod shuffle for her birthday 3 years ago. I refuse to put music on her iPod cause that would mean loading iTunes on my computer and I refuse to do that. Cancerous program

Comment

Home: G4, G5, Ipod for daughter, Iphone for her indoors.
                Work: 4X MacPro's and a 20 terrabyte Xsan.

Can't speak highly enough of em;)
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Which is why they've beaten out Microsoft. That doesn't change the fact that there's a large chunk of the population that hate Apple and Apple products, same way lots of people hate MS. I happen to be in the hate Apple group

Comment

Apple and iPods are like crack cocaine. In my family of five, we have probably bought 12 to 15 assorted iPods over the years, and ALL of them belong to the others in my family. I don't use one.

The batteries die, and the damned things are hermetically sealed... you can't replace the batteries, so you buy another iPod. iPods have totally crushed development of other portable music devices because they cannot compete.

When I walk around, every other person has wires dangling from their ears. It is a noxious sight, like Science-fiction writer Larry Niven's "wirehead", the notion that people plug a device directly into the pleasure center of their brain so as to totally zone out. How about actually listening to other people, looking around, hearing the birds, rather than focusing on their iPods like a junkie picturing the rush he is going to get from the dime bag in his pocket?

Music is great - in moderation. Too many iPod zombies.

I hate Apple.
                    Last edited by Chogy; 28 May 10,, 15:04.

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I listen to music all the time. I don't have an iPod, and whenever I'm with people I turn off my music, but if I'm walking down the street by myself I'd rather have something to listen to and pass the time rather than the birds.

Listening to music doesn't inhibit people from looking around and seeing nature, and this way every person gets to individually enjoy their own music. Would you rather we go back to boomboxes, with everybody blasting their own personal style? You still get that with idiot kids on the buses playing music out loud on their cellphone.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I listen to music all the time. I don't have an iPod, and whenever I'm with people I turn off my music, but if I'm walking down the street by myself I'd rather have something to listen to and pass the time rather than the birds.

Listening to music doesn't inhibit people from looking around and seeing nature, and this way every person gets to individually enjoy their own music. Would you rather we go back to boomboxes, with everybody blasting their own personal style? You still get that with idiot kids on the buses playing music out loud on their cellphone.
                        I agree that it is a personal choice and freedom, but the perception I get is that most people (not all) are attempting to disconnect from the world. If there are wires coming out of your ears, I am not even going to bother to start what might otherwise be a fine conversation. I can't even say "Good morning."

Now boom-boxes, that is someone jamming noise pollution in my ears and another topic entirely. Like second-hand smoke. ;)

Comment

Let me ask you a different question: How many times have you been walking down the street and someone you really have no interest in talking with has started a conversation with you? Jews for Jesus, salespeople, the random crazy on the corner, etc...

Most people would prefer to listen to earphones and not be approached rather than be approached and then decline, which in many cases can be done quite rudely (I used to sell in malls, I know how rude they can get)

Comment

Apple makes a fine product, but I agree the 'smug' factor sours quite a few people on their products.
                            This valuation is temporary and fairly meaningless, this is about market value of the company, not market share.
                            MS will gain the top spot again, they have too many potential products in the pipeline that consumers will want. PC hardware sales are up and unless Apple drops their prices drastically, they won't gain market share in either the home or enterprise.
                            Last edited by ZekeJones; 28 May 10,, 18:04.

Comment

I hate ear buds. I enjoy listening to the world, with annoying people and all. Sounds tell me many things that happen around me. Sometimes they even warn me of impending danger.

Comment

Working...
                              X