A piece of history changes hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A piece of history changes hands

I have been visiting my parents a lot lately. Both in their 80's, and you never know ...
    My dad gave me something rare for display in my new museum/library conversion in my house.

A piece of shrapnel from Pearl Harbor. He was working at Bremerton when they were repairing some of the ships.
    He isn't sure which ship it came off of, but thinks it was one of the "battlewagons". Absolutely the coolest thing in my collection (since I sold my WWI 75mm round)

I wanted to post a photo, but I'm having trouble lighting it for a decent shot, as it is dark metal with poor contrast qualities.

I'll post a pic of the whole display when I get the lighting right.
    sigpicUSS North Dakota

Originally posted by 2DREZQ View Post
    My dad gave me something rare for display in my new museum/library conversion in my house.
    Your own museum/library...COOL

Comment

How much do you charge for admission? ;)
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Don't most guys have one? To me, a home museum-library is little more than an upscale man-room that a wife is not ashamed to let her friends see. Mine contains my computer; better-quality books, mostly military titles; an "I love me" section with military memorabilia, change of station plaques, and hero pictures; and finally (my favorite part), shelf-gadgets that mean something to you.

I am literally looking over my shoulder, and here's what I see:

- A clip of M-1 Garand cartridges from WW2, intact, head-stamped 1943
        - Two Morse code keys from my days as a ham radio operator
        - A genuine ivory sperm whale tooth
        - A nickel-iron meteorite
        - A 1945 silver cigarette case made by my Dad's Japanese friend during the occupation
        - A stick grip from a T-38 Talon
        - Two flintlock pistols
        - lots more goodies ;)

I'm looking forward to the pics - is it a piece of shrapnel from a Japanese bomb, or a piece of wreckage from one of the ships?

Comment

The only thing I really have that fits that criteria is my laptop and my library, and my library keeps changing as I buy new books and sell or trade books that I've read already
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

No Library but lots of books ranging from 100yr+ old maths books, Language books, wine books and my beloved motorbike books. I have room for a library but need the room for the gran'kids. I am tempted but they would throw a hex on me if I take away 'their' bedrooms.:)

Comment

I suppose my office counts as a 'library' - filled with books (and CDs). Got a few cool things knocking about:

A railway spike from near Hellfire Pass ('Death Railway);
              A sea shell with 'New Guinea 1943' painted on it that my grandfather got during the war;
              An aboriginal stone axe head that probably pre-dates white settlement of Australia;
              A number of Dickens novels published in the 1840s;
              A 'History of the Old & New Testament' - sort of an ancient history of the Jews & Middle East - published in Edinburgh in 1756. Thus it pre-dates white settlement in Australia.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I converted one bedroom this year. Built-in 580 book oak bookshelf, two additional bookcases, built in oak display case. In the case: Pearl Harbor shrapnel, '06 round from the battle for Okinawa, master link for drive chain for M1A, belt of live WWII 50 cal. that actually fell out of a bomber, a live belt of .30 that somehow made its way back from 'nam, a 37mm WWI round, a 20mm Korean war round, a 30mm from a GAU-8 (with a pic of my airman son standing in front of a warthog), a piece of an F-15 (going to be aquiring a bit off a BUFF soon...), the tail of a Crotalus Viridis I shot in '90...there's more, but that's the best stuff.

When I get home this week I'm going to do a video tour and upload it to facebook, if anybody is suffering insomnia and terminally bored in the near future.

I can't get all my books in one room, of course. Who could?
                sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                  I'm looking forward to the pics - is it a piece of shrapnel from a Japanese bomb, or a piece of wreckage from one of the ships?
                  Can't tell, my guess is bomb frag, as it has an anvil shape, just like the one dad still has that is 3 times as big. I'm hoping someone can give me a better idea when we get the pics up.
                  sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

If we're discussing memorabilia, I've got a whole bunch of ammo lying around: some assorted 5.56 and 7.62, a chain of .30 cal, a chain of .50 cal, a 20mm HE round and a couple GAU-8 casings sans HE top. I also have a base plate from a 120mm APSFDS that I fired during advanced training.

Other stuff include an armored corps flag, my company flag, and a Islamic Jihad/Hamas flag. I don't remember which one it is, we confiscated it during a rally.

None of this is on display though, aside from the armored corps flag on my wall. The rest is in boxes or floating around my room somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by 2DREZQ View Post
                      I converted one bedroom this year. Built-in 580 book oak bookshelf, two additional bookcases, built in oak display case. In the case: Pearl Harbor shrapnel, '06 round from the battle for Okinawa, master link for drive chain for M1A, belt of live WWII 50 cal. that actually fell out of a bomber, a live belt of .30 that somehow made its way back from 'nam, a 37mm WWI round, a 20mm Korean war round, a 30mm from a GAU-8 (with a pic of my airman son standing in front of a warthog), a piece of an F-15 (going to be aquiring a bit off a BUFF soon...), the tail of a Crotalus Viridis I shot in '90...there's more, but that's the best stuff.

When I get home this week I'm going to do a video tour and upload it to facebook, if anybody is suffering insomnia and terminally bored in the near future.

I can't get all my books in one room, of course. Who could?
                      Sounds WAY cool. I hear you on the books. Have multiple full shelves in every room except the laundry/bathroom (too damp) - including the hallway.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I came up with a different solution, like I said before. I don't hold on to books for too long, unless they're really good. Most my books I'll read and then sell to a secondhand store in exchange for other books, or go to a book swap. I read about 2-3 books a week, so it makes sense financially too.

Some of the books that I hold on to: All of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series, Jean M. Auel's Earth Children series, The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings. The rest just come and go

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          If we're discussing memorabilia,

Yeah, this SHOULD be a memorabilia thread!

You will keep the stuff in boxes, probably for years. Then, sometime in late middle age, you will go through it all. Some of it you will throw away, wondering why you kept that crap. You will mourn a little that some stuff you didnt keep is lost.

The rest you will put on display on a shelf, for reasons you will understand then that wouldnt really make a lot of sense to you right now.
                          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                          X