PDA

View Full Version : Best One Album Wonders?

Shek
27 May 10,, 04:57
One hit wonders are a dime a dozen every year, but every so often, you get a band that puts out an entire album that's great (not just a song or tow) and then either disappears or puts together a string of disappointments that amount to much of nothing.

I'd nominate The Wallflowers and Bringing Down the Horse

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/66/WallflowersBringingDowntheHorse.jpg/200px-WallflowersBringingDowntheHorse.jpg

with One Headlight headlining that album.

Zzyfcys1aLM

I'd also nominate Marcy Playground (self-titled)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c0/Marcy_Playground_-_Marcy_Playground_album_cover.gif/220px-Marcy_Playground_-_Marcy_Playground_album_cover.gif

with Sex and Candy headlining that album.

YDAXltfj8-Y

Stitch
27 May 10,, 05:48
Well, I WAS going to nominate Boston, but their second album was actually pretty decent; so I'm going to have to go with Flock Of Seagulls (anybody remember them?); quintisential '80's synth-pop:

wF0S4HH7CDA

S2
27 May 10,, 07:27
Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech. Three from their one and only album-

bjuxK0VpIsQ

OeqMGFJftrs

JTV6PEK-pJw&feature=PlayList&p=502C98A8C78DD8AB&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=14

and a neat electric alternative take

zVzLyhWRAy8

Southie
27 May 10,, 13:24
The Traveling Wilburys actually did two albums, but I only know of one! Loved them!!!

pennsy
27 May 10,, 14:54
Ram Jam,one of my all time favourites only hit it big with Black Betty.

BTW, has anyone heard Tom Jones horrendous rendition of Black Betty?:eek:

Bigfella
28 May 10,, 06:18
One of the greatest of all one album wonders - Disposible Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

allmusic ((( Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury > Overview ))) (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jifpxqr5ldte)

Michael Franti & Rono Tse produced a remarkable sonic & lyrical creation. Also introduced guitarist Charlie Hunter to a wider audience. Even if the politics aren't your style, appreciate how well they work with the music - this is genuis stuff & better than either performer ever managed again.

This one was a minor hit (the album version is even better):

sgOWTM5R2DA

A biting commentary on blacks in the entertainment industry:

HgoTSuBZPGI

A very personal piece with the magnificent guitar work of Charlie Hunter:

FCFZPT2skTY

A great reworking of a favourite track of mine:

cBAkOifDeSw

Bigfella
28 May 10,, 06:37
John 'Speedy' Keen was a musician & songwiter who was also Pete Townshend's chauffeur. he famously wrote 'Armenia City in the Sky', the opening track of the Who Sell Out. Townshend helped to form a band as a vehicle for Keen's work & subsequently produced their album. 'Something in the Air' was a number one hit, but the equally good album 'Hollywood Dream' that followed tanked & the band broke up. Pity.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:a9fwxqe5ld6e

VK_6TU1T7V8

Xv2ieP6wYu4

X1cy4lUGE5Y

xDOIAXNKpdk

Parihaka
28 May 10,, 06:43
Jerry Raferty, city to city

Bigfella
28 May 10,, 06:54
For those who know my views on religion, this one will come as a surprise. it is reasonable to assume, therefore, that the one albume produced by Texas trio Lift to Experience must be pretty damned good for me to sit through the preachin'. I'll post a despcription & some vids. if you can track it doen then do, it is worth it.

How's this for a concept album: three musicians from Denton, TX, with the help of former Cocteau Twins Robin Guthrie and Simon Raymonde, blend My Bloody Valentine's sonic feedback with Kitchens of Distinction's swirling atmosphere and the grace of Jeff Buckley to detail the "crossroads of Texas and Jerusalem." What could have been a tiresome exploration of awkward religious theories is instead a spellbinding journey into the heart of human emotion and guitar dynamics. Josh T. Pearson's beautifully controlled croon works dark magic over arrangements that suggest and depict both the whisper of birth and the fury of Armageddon.... The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads mixes poetic imagery with controlled feedback and emotional expression like few albums outside of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. It's a magnificent yet somehow subtle work of genius that delivers its strange message with incredible innovation and an inspiring feeling of a groundbreaking mission accomplished.

allmusic ((( Lift to Experience > Biography ))) (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9foxq9jldde~T1)

Individual tracks don't really capture the magic of the album - it is as a single piece. The give a hint, however.

1lhvX-Ba5kc

AlMjvgY46JE

vX2Xzl6bylc

2mcLcStD8xI

S2
28 May 10,, 07:10
"Jerry Raferty, city to city"

Pari,

Can't buy it. Not a "one album wonder".

A superb album that holds a special place for me for a couple of reasons but Rafferty had already found some success with Stealer's Wheel and Stuck In The Middle With You. Further, CITY TO CITY would lead to the nearly-as-good NIGHT OWL and subsequent albums.

S2
28 May 10,, 07:15
Great call on THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN. Sorta pissed that I didn't recall it as I posted Something In The Air early on the music thread. I'll be listening to LIFT TO EXPERIENCE. They seem to qualify with only one album. Pearson's an interesting guy.

Not sure I can agree on Franti yet. I listen to Spearhead quite a bit but I don't know that this work has attained the buzz, legend and lore. Might be me though...

S2
28 May 10,, 07:35
"Best damned band in Texas..."

Holy sh!t!!! I am DESTROYED.:eek:

That review understates the apolcalyptic-sonic Buckleyesque grace that those tracks muster. I gotta find a copy. They've got a sense of humor that makes very human the pseudo-religo overtones.

But the musical vision...stunning.:cool:

Truly.

Might be the most powerful thing I've listened to in years. I've already checked youtube and it seems you pulled down everything that's out there from the album.

With Crippled Wings live from Paris (not Paris, Texas:biggrin:)

pXU12uCoW3U&feature=PlayList&p=EF659285214D0B59&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=7

BD1
28 May 10,, 08:17

That review understates the apolcalyptic-sonic Buckleyesque grace that those tracks muster. I gotta find a copy. They've got a sense of humor that makes very human the pseudo-religo overtones.

Truly.

Might be the most powerful thing I've listened to in years. I've already checked youtube and it seems you pulled down everything that's out there from the album.

With Crippled Wings live from Paris (not Paris, Texas:biggrin:)]

x2. just wow

Bigfella
28 May 10,, 09:11

Truly.

With Crippled Wings live from Paris (not Paris, Texas:biggrin:)

Glad you like.:) Trust me, the album is even more remarkable. You just put it on & let it wash over you. It ebbs & flows like it is alive. His voice is as much another instrument as it is a condiut for lyrics. Even the crazy religious stuff seems to work in the context of the music. Listening to it, however, I'm not entirely surprised it was a one off. the world only ends once, after all. Hard to follow that up. ;)

Bought it on the strength of a review in the newspaper (as I did with the DBTs - sometimes you take a chance & it pays off).

If you head on down to my favourite 2nd hand CD site before May 31 you can get it for about US $6.00 - no postage cost. I've bought hundreds of discs off these guys with barely a problem, and the one or two times they sent me something that wasn't as advertised they refunded promptly. Get in quick.

SecondSpin.com | Search (http://www.secondspin.com/search.jsp?page=1&type=music.keyword.buy&query=lift+to+experience&image.x=12&image.y=5)

Bigfella
28 May 10,, 09:15
Not sure I can agree on Franti yet. I listen to Spearhead quite a bit but I don't know that this work has attained the buzz, legend and lore. Might be me though...

I quite enjoy Spearhead & have seen Franti live several times, but their best doesn't even touch the lesser 'Disposable Heroes' stuff. I just love the way it hits the 'one' so damned well & the way that Yse uses samples & effects to drive the music. Wish they'd recorded more together.

Gun Grape
28 May 10,, 13:07
Tracy Chapman's self titled first album.

I don't think there is a bad song on the whole thing.

Orv_F2HV4gk

zkftyHSf6sQ

g4bBff9aBRw

Bigfella
28 May 10,, 13:53
Tracy Chapman's self titled first album.

I don't think there is a bad song on the whole thing.

Good album, but I think this is going to flunk on 2 counts. 1) She did other albums 2) some of them were pretty good. I like 'Crossroads' quite a bit & actually think the title track is her best song both musically & lyrically.

w3PX267adKs

Gun Grape
28 May 10,, 13:58
Good album, but I think this is going to flunk on 2 counts. 1) She did other albums 2) some of them were pretty good. I like 'Crossroads' quite a bit & actually think the title track is her best song both musically & lyrically.

That the group did other albums wasn't a restriction on the thread.

One hit wonders are a dime a dozen every year, but every so often, you get a band that puts out an entire album that's great (not just a song or tow) and then either disappears or puts together a string of disappointments that amount to much of nothing.

pennsy
28 May 10,, 15:35
One of the all time classics, but unfortunately that was it-Indagaddadavida by Iron Butterfly.

S2
28 May 10,, 16:52
"unfortunately that was it-Indagaddadavida by Iron Butterfly."

Actually I can think of four off-hand and there may have been more. Their first was HEAVY followed by Innagaddadavida, BALL, and Iron Butterfly Live. Loved this track from BALL and it charted for awhile-

5zVKpXiP_8Y

Bigfella
29 May 10,, 02:24
That the group did other albums wasn't a restriction on the thread.

My bad. Still think 'Crossroads' was pretty good.

Genosaurer
29 May 10,, 02:42
Mad At Gravity made one quite good album, and then self-destructed.

Gun Grape
29 May 10,, 04:47
Never mind the Bollocks, Heres the Sex Pistols.

One album, then self destruction.

Voted the 2 most "influential album in the last 20 years" in 1987 by Rolling Stone Magazine. VH-1 has it as the 17th greatest album of all time. Rolling Stone had it at 41 in their list of the top 500 rock albums.

Hell even Neil Young mentions Johnnie Rotten in the song My My Hy Hey

"The king is gone but not forgotten/this is the story of Johnny Rotten"

JQkActP-isE

mbyZjU5gHVQ

S2
29 May 10,, 05:52
Great call on the Sex Pistols.

Here's another and I'm dismayed it hadn't dawned on until now but I'm a very big fan of Jeff Buckley yet he only did one album before joining the Dead Dope Divas Club.

There's been a bunch of stuff since his death that's popped up but GRACE remains his sole effort released while alive and was his magnum opus. A few in remembrance-

Last Goodbye

BtS0rwQK_pI

Lover, You Should Have Come Over

hXe1jpHPnUs&feature=related

Grace

67K-8Y3SEQc

Andrey Egorov
30 May 10,, 23:03
Damageplan - New Found Power
u4G_oxqAgKk
2LPU5s2frvM
NB_GGdXCVB0

ArmchairGeneral
31 May 10,, 06:41
Kinda surprised Derek and the Dominos haven't been mentioned yet.

S2
31 May 10,, 06:57
"Kinda surprised Derek and the Dominos haven't been mentioned yet."

Yeah, if I mentioned BLIND FAITH then that maybe should too. I thought about it but held back because they'd released a live album too. It was in the making of their second studio album in London that the band broke up. Too much goin' on-serious drug problems all through the band, Allman dying, an undiagnosed schizophrenic drummer who'd later murder his mom.

What a collection of songs though! Layla is the one everybody knows and I'm utterly tired of it at this point through no fault of the song but there's gem after gem throughout the album.

Tom Dowd, the album's producer, called this the perfect studio recording-Thorn Tree In A Garden with Whitlock, Clapton, Gordon, Allman, and Radle sitting in a circle with the mike positioned strategically and no overdubs-

hEWvJHd67KE&feature=fvst

Bigfella
03 Jun 10,, 12:24
This band was only ever going to be a one off, but what a one off.

When Mother Love Bone lead singer Andrew Wood died of a heroin overdose in march 1990 it hit the blossoming Seattle music scene hard. Wood had been good friends with many in the scene, including former roommate Soundgarden lead singer Chris Cornell. Cornell wanted to record a musical tribute & began to write songs.

When it came to recording he reached out to Jeff Ament & Stone Gossard - former Mother Love Bone members. They were trying to form a new band & broght along Gossard's childhood friend Mike McCready & an unknown vocalist who was in town auditioning for the vocalists's job - Eddie Vedder. Soundgarden drummer matt Cameron filled out the band. They recorded the album in Nov & Dec 1990. It was released in April 1991 to modest sales (about 70,000 copies). The band performed a few live dates (minus Vedder), but all concerned soon returned to to other projects. When Soundgarden & the Pearl Jam had dramatic success in 1992 the record company begam to market the album more effectively & it sold another million.

A remarkable album.

XjNjJR9jUGo

zyVTdY2BI3g

Bigfella
03 Jun 10,, 12:42
...since I brought it up.

Mother Love Bone formed in 1988 out of the ashes of legendary Seattle area grunge pioneers Green River. While Mark Arm & Steve Turner went off to form Mudhoney, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament & Bruce Fairweather joined vocalist Andrew Woods & drummer Greg Gilmore. The sound was part Led Zepplin, part Guns & Roses and part grunge. They only released one album - 'Apple'. The buzz around the band promised success, but days before the release Woods overdosed on heroin. Who knows what they could have been.

fDY2DVju1c4

k7CPIXnaeeQ

HffbME_B7JQ

Bigfella
03 Jun 10,, 12:53
Hat tip to GG for pointing out that this thread doesn't just cover one album artists, but those with only one album anyone cared about.

Tone Loc had a short but spectacular recording career. His debut album 'Loc-ed After Dark' went yo no.1 in the US, went double platinum & produced 2 top 5 singles. Its follow up 'Cool Hand Loc', was OK, but barely charted. I give you two rap classics of the late 80s:

CBrKn_0sIqU

387ZDGSKVSg

BD1
03 Jun 10,, 13:24
...since I brought it up.

Mother Love Bone formed in 1988 out of the ashes of legendary Seattle area grunge pioneers Green River. While Mark Arm & Steve Turner went off to form Mudhoney, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament & Bruce Fairweather joined vocalist Andrew Woods & drummer Greg Gilmore. The sound was part Led Zepplin, part Guns & Roses and part grunge. They only released one album - 'Apple'. The buzz around the band promised success, but days before the release Woods overdosed on heroin. Who knows what they could have been.

good choice with Temple Of the Dog. Heard it, loved it. But the Mother Love Bone - i looked it up back in 1994-5, because of the cool connections, but the only song i found on the record that stuck to the mind was Stardog Champion - rest seemed way too usual. Now time has passed, i should look it up again , but i have no equipment to play the old tape with . :)

S2
03 Jun 10,, 18:18
Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone are two big finds that are excellent choices. Again, like with LIFT TO EXPERIENCE, great finds. Didn't know about either nor their lineage.

Thanks.:)

Bigfella
03 Jun 10,, 22:59
Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone are to big finds that are excellent choices. Again, like with LIFT TO EXPERIENCE, great finds. Didn't know about either nor their lineage.

Thanks.:)

Part of the musical heritage of the great Pacific North West.;) I'll dig up some Green River too - not as good, but a 'keystone' band (also recorded only 1 album).

Bigfella
05 Jun 10,, 14:25
Channelling the spirit of the 'British Invasion' 25 years earlier, the La's paved the way for the massive success of 'Britpop' a few short years later (itself a series of groups reinventing 60s & 70s British music). Originally named 'the Lads', they apparently changed name when someone stole the 'd' from the name on their drum kit. They were the project of obsessive perfectionist Lee Mavers, who, having fought to get the group success, killed it during the recording of the never released second album. Still, he left something remarkable behind.

xX9TDQcCyVE

pzm71FJlLP0

4iM4aDitCoc

nfzicdPU1Eg

Shek
19 Nov 11,, 15:09
Rediscovered the Crash Test Dummies - certainly another solid nominee for this category:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/CTDgshf.jpg

Here's the lead off song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzNzCiZwk28

bigross86
19 Nov 11,, 15:12
Best Crash Test Dummies song ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfsgN1mBu4M